    assuming that computers on other planets use Microsoft Windows OS not because
    its a best OS.. but because it came from the store with Microsoft already
    installed)
    =?Utf-8?B?UGhvdG9oYW1tZXI=?=, Sep 15, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGhvdG9oYW1tZXI=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Somewhat depends on the setup you have. X-64 is installed so do you intend
    to add x86 to another drive or to another partition on the same drive. If
    the latter, how did your computer come setup. Does it have another partition
    large enough. Did your system come with an X64 install disk or a restore
    disk that repartitions and installs everything including x64. All these are
    necessary to even begin to answer.
    Your product is OEM so the only help you get is from the system maker, your
    own research and this site. Microsoft has NO support for this product and
    don't care, since they won't even have other groups provide drivers for
    Microsoft labeled hardware and software.

    John Barnes, Sep 15, 2005

  3. let's say best case...
    all software is Microsoft no OEM's
    multiple hard-drives
    start from clean there is nothing that can't be formated over

    issue's and my complex work around

    system is used 95% for video editiing - only thing that matters is color
    correct monitors and speed..

    system has a 3 head video card.. when used with XP you have 2 independant
    monitors and a third monitor that only kicks in from the video overlay
    meaning if your editing video the source material and the playback as to how
    it will really look is displayed on your monitor and on a tv at the same
    time..

    of course the full drivers to do this with x64 are not avalible - but should
    be in about 3 months... so when running under x64 you have only limited color
    and monitor control and forget about tv output

    ...here is what I do...

    have 2 drives in hotswap trays and 3 more drives in the system.. XP-32 on a
    drive XP-64 on the other.. I work in 32-bit so I can see what I'm doing,
    then shutdown repatch the monitor cables reboot with the x64 drive -- now
    open adobe premiere and let the computer encode the video based on the
    settings done in x-32

    why -- cause a typical hd video take 4-6 hours to encode in 32bit and half
    that time or faster in 64bit --

    what would be ideal until more drivers and software were available (BTW 32
    bit software will run SLOWER on x64 than it does on x32 - this fact from
    microsoft and my own tests)

    Ideal is to have a small 20gb partition on a large drive use the bulk of
    that drive to run xp-32 and the have x64 in the other .. and it just to be a
    menu chooice at bootup as to what to start

    Thanks hope this is not more than you wanted to know...

    Mike Hammer

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhvdG9oYW1tZXI=?=, Sep 15, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UGhvdG9oYW1tZXI=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Should be real simple. Install x32 on one hard drive. Then install x64 on
    the second hard drive. I would suggest that you partition and format each
    install.

    John Barnes, Sep 15, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UGhvdG9oYW1tZXI=?=

    VWWall Guest

    John Barnes wrote:
    > Should be real simple. Install x32 on one hard drive. Then install x64 on
    > the second hard drive. I would suggest that you partition and format each
    > install.

    Beware if you have any other OS on a separate partition on the first
    hard drive! Win x64 will rewrite the master boot record on that drive,
    even though it's being installed to the second drive. :-(

    I had to re-do my Linux boot loader. Fortunately, Linux is not so
    bossy. It happily lets me boot into Win 32 or x64. :)

    --
    Virg Wall
    VWWall, Sep 15, 2005
  6. of course.. I learned the hard way.... but it took 2 or 3 tries to fully
    grasp the power of x64... do ya think maybe microsoft should have put a big
    ass size flashing yellow letter.. hey UNPLUG any drive you don't want wiped
    out.. yes x64 only formats and installs were you tell it, but as noted it
    wipes out the boot record (if you don't know whst thst means.. in a nutshell
    it flicks off a setting in your other harddrives and makes them blank.. not
    reformated just blank)

    thank the good people at -Active Undelete- it pulled my butt out of the
    sling every other day...

    -- other lessons the hardway were

    never install x64 unless you have check 3 times that you have the video
    driver and the lan/modem driver on DISKS of somekind... or you'll be
    reloading your old OS to get a dinky driver file.. est time 2-4 hours if your
    lucky

    unplug any harddrive you dont want wiped out before starting.. est time to
    undelete and rebuild 6-24 hours and you will lose some data - meaning if you
    recover 6,000 files the 3 you need or want are hosed and the 5,997 are stuff
    you had backups of

    x64 is SLOWER than x32 unless you have programs made just for x64 then it
    can kick ass... so unless your really need its don't do it... your gonna go
    back - remember it's a beta and it will be a year before it's really ready -
    and at this time yes there is some programs that are x64 but not enough

    x64 HATES your old software.. TV cards.. no way, if you could run it with
    win 98 or win me -- its not gonna load in x64 -- and keep this in mind, they
    will tell you new updates are on the way anyday that will make it work... ahh
    lets see win98 got its bugs work out aroung 2002... so you guess when the
    updates will be ready

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhvdG9oYW1tZXI=?=, Sep 15, 2005
  7. maybe you missed my point -- thats what I have but it's lots of wasted hd
    space and not helpfull to share data if you swap the drive...

    I really need to try an do a dual boot - I know it can be done I just can't
    find the details

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhvdG9oYW1tZXI=?=, Sep 15, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UGhvdG9oYW1tZXI=?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    I setup my hard drive with 3 partitions. 1)xp32, 2)xp64, 3)data files.
    Installed xp32 in partition1, then installed xp64 in partition 2. After
    reboot on start-up the dual boot screen gives a choice of xp32 or xp64, the
    dual boot is setup when the second operating system is installed.

    Dennis Pack, Sep 16, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?UGhvdG9oYW1tZXI=?=

    Guest

    After reading the posts, I'm kind of glad I set up the partitions with
    Partition Magic. PM makes some claim that you should always build the
    partition with PM so that the program is aware of all the partitions.
    [Reality, who knows.]

    I can tell you that PM hung up once when running on my x64 partition,
    so I run it from the XP partition. I didn't lose any data.
    , Sep 16, 2005