    Catholic church.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Tony Cooper, Jan 28, 2013

  2. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-01-19-103.jpg
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Tony Cooper, Jan 28, 2013

  3. Tony Cooper

    DanP Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:39:56 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper <>
    > said:
    >
    >> When's "Steeples" due?

    > February 10, 2013
    >
    >> Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
    >> color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a Catholic
    >> church.

    > With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
    > unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
    > be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
    > suitable images to contribute this time around.

    Cheat, find something that looks like one and shoot into the Sun.

    DanP

    DanP, Jan 28, 2013
  4. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/28/2013 4:25 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:24:18 -0500, Tony Cooper
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> When's "Steeples" due?
    >>
    >> Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
    >> color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a
    >> Catholic church.

    > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-01-19-103.jpg
    > --
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    I have a problem going on a steeple chase.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 29, 2013
  5. Tony Cooper

    Rob Guest

    On 29/01/2013 11:08 AM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 1/28/2013 4:25 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:24:18 -0500, Tony Cooper
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> When's "Steeples" due?
    >>>
    >>> Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
    >>> color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a
    >>> Catholic church.

    >> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-01-19-103.jpg
    >> --
    >> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    >>

    > I have a problem going on a steeple chase.

    I have some steeple chase racing images.

    Rob, Jan 29, 2013
  6. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/28/2013 7:43 PM, Rob wrote:
    > On 29/01/2013 11:08 AM, PeterN wrote:
    >> On 1/28/2013 4:25 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

    >>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-01-19-103.jpg
    >>> --
    >>> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    >>>

    >> I have a problem going on a steeple chase.
    >>

    > I have some steeple chase racing images.

    I wonder if ANY OF these would qualify:

    <http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/brooklyn/coneyisland/steeplechasepier/index.htm>

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 29, 2013
  7. Tony Cooper

    Rob Guest

    On 29/01/2013 11:54 AM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 1/28/2013 7:43 PM, Rob wrote:

    >>> I have a problem going on a steeple chase.
    >>>

    >> I have some steeple chase racing images.

    > I wonder if ANY OF these would qualify:
    >
    > <http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/brooklyn/coneyisland/steeplechasepier/index.htm>

    That bloke in the garbage bin image - was looking for a handout!

    Rob, Jan 29, 2013
  8. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper <> said:
    :
    : > When's "Steeples" due?
    :
    : February 10, 2013
    :
    : > Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
    : > color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a
    : > Catholic church.
    :
    : With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
    : unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
    : be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
    : suitable images to contribute this time around.

    Let's face it, Duck: for this mandate, ya gotta live in New England. ;^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 29, 2013
  9. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:54:12 -0500, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 1/28/2013 7:43 PM, Rob wrote:

    >>> I have a problem going on a steeple chase.
    >>>

    >> I have some steeple chase racing images.

    >I wonder if ANY OF these would qualify:
    >
    ><http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/brooklyn/coneyisland/steeplechasepier/index.htm>

    The blonde in image #3 may be causing a steeple.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Tony Cooper, Jan 29, 2013
  10. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:39:56 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper <> said:
    >
    >> When's "Steeples" due?

    >February 10, 2013
    >
    >> Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
    >> color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a
    >> Catholic church.

    >With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
    >unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
    >be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
    >suitable images to contribute this time around.

    My submissions will be traditional steeple with spires, but I would
    include bell towers and mission towers in the mandate. Actually, a
    "steeple" is a tall tower and what we picture as a steeple is the
    tower plus the spire. It's still a steeple without the spire. Many
    steeples don't have spires.

    The word itself is from the Old English for "tower".

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Tony Cooper, Jan 29, 2013
  11. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 23:55:57 -0500, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:39:56 -0800, Savageduck
    ><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper <> said:
    >>
    >>> When's "Steeples" due?

    >>February 10, 2013
    >>
    >>> Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
    >>> color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a
    >>> Catholic church.

    >>With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
    >>unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
    >>be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
    >>suitable images to contribute this time around.

    >My submissions will be traditional steeple with spires, but I would
    >include bell towers and mission towers in the mandate. Actually, a
    >"steeple" is a tall tower and what we picture as a steeple is the
    >tower plus the spire. It's still a steeple without the spire. Many
    >steeples don't have spires.
    >
    >The word itself is from the Old English for "tower".

    Just to add to this, here's another reject:

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/Mt Zion - Est 1856.jpg

    This is the Mount Zion Primitive Baptist Church built in 1896 near Mt
    Dora, Florida. It's a steeple - a tower - but no spire. I don't
    think a spire is a requirement at all. A Greek Orthodox church in
    downtown Orlando has a tower with dome atop, and not a spire, and
    that's a steeple.

    One of the most famous movie scenes ("Vertigo")involved Jimmy Stewart
    in the tower, or steeple, at Mission San Juan Bautista south of San
    Francisco. Stewart played the role of a retired cop, too. It
    should be right up your alley.

    There is no spire at Mission San Juan Bautista.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Tony Cooper, Jan 29, 2013
  12. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 11:43:10 +1100, Rob <>
    wrote:

    >On 29/01/2013 11:08 AM, PeterN wrote:
    >> On 1/28/2013 4:25 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

    >>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-01-19-103.jpg
    >>> --
    >>> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    >>>

    >> I have a problem going on a steeple chase.
    >>

    >I have some steeple chase racing images.

    The steeplechase event is so-called because it was originally a
    cross-country event where the race was from steeple-to-steeple.

    "The first steeplechase is said to have been the result of a wager in
    1752 between Cornelius O'Callaghan and Edmund Blake, racing four miles
    (6 km) cross-country from Buttevant Church to St. Leger Church in
    Doneraile, in Cork, Ireland." (From Wiki)

    The steeplechase is one of the types of hunt racing. Steeplechases
    involve hedges and water and ditches. The other type is the hurdles
    which are just jumps over a bar and post obstacle.

    This style of race is also called a "point-to-point". The races were
    from the starting point to a destination point before specific courses
    were set out.

    In the US, "point-to-point" is the more common term used.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Tony Cooper, Jan 29, 2013
  13. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:08:05 AM UTC, PeterN wrote:
    > On 1/28/2013 4:25 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:24:18 -0500, Tony Cooper

    > > <> wrote:

    > >> When's "Steeples" due?

    > >> Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good

    > >> color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a

    > >> Catholic church.

    > > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-01-19-103.jpg

    > > --

    > > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    > I have a problem going on a steeple chase.

    Why, they are pretty easy to catch they don;t move very fast if at all ;-)

    would a picture of Fred Dibnah be OK for the SI ?

    Whisky-dave, Jan 29, 2013
  14. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/28/2013 9:18 PM, Rob wrote:
    > On 29/01/2013 11:54 AM, PeterN wrote:

    >>> I have some steeple chase racing images.

    >> I wonder if ANY OF these would qualify:
    >>
    >> <http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/brooklyn/coneyisland/steeplechasepier/index.htm>
    >>

    > That bloke in the garbage bin image - was looking for a handout!

    Your pun meter msfired.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 29, 2013
  15. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/28/2013 11:48 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:54:12 -0500, PeterN
    > <> wrote:

    >>> I have some steeple chase racing images.

    >> I wonder if ANY OF these would qualify:
    >>
    >> <http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/brooklyn/coneyisland/steeplechasepier/index.htm>

    > The blonde in image #3 may be causing a steeple.
    >
    > --
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    May be?

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 29, 2013
  16. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/29/2013 12:46 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 23:55:57 -0500, Tony Cooper
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:39:56 -0800, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> February 10, 2013

    >>> With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
    >>> unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
    >>> be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
    >>> suitable images to contribute this time around.

    >> My submissions will be traditional steeple with spires, but I would
    >> include bell towers and mission towers in the mandate. Actually, a
    >> "steeple" is a tall tower and what we picture as a steeple is the
    >> tower plus the spire. It's still a steeple without the spire. Many
    >> steeples don't have spires.
    >>
    >> The word itself is from the Old English for "tower".

    > Just to add to this, here's another reject:
    >
    > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/Mt Zion - Est 1856.jpg
    >
    > This is the Mount Zion Primitive Baptist Church built in 1896 near Mt
    > Dora, Florida. It's a steeple - a tower - but no spire. I don't
    > think a spire is a requirement at all. A Greek Orthodox church in
    > downtown Orlando has a tower with dome atop, and not a spire, and
    > that's a steeple.
    >
    > One of the most famous movie scenes ("Vertigo")involved Jimmy Stewart
    > in the tower, or steeple, at Mission San Juan Bautista south of San
    > Francisco. Stewart played the role of a retired cop, too. It
    > should be right up your alley.
    >
    > There is no spire at Mission San Juan Bautista.

    So to what do you aspire?

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 29, 2013
  17. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 16:44:49 +0000, Graham <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:19:50 -0800, Savageduck,
    ><news:2013012908195088124-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom> expounded this
    >theory:
    >
    >> There isn't much of a tower at San Juan Bautista either.
    >> <
    >> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Mission_San_Juan_Bautista.jpg
    >>>

    >> I had already used the adobe brick bell tower at Mission San Miguel in
    >> a past SI.
    >> < http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/138736617/original >

    >How about if I submit some to help you all out? No shortage of
    >steeples, spires, pinnacles or other pointed adornments to buildings
    >etc here in England.

    Sobriquet will take you up on that.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Tony Cooper, Jan 29, 2013
  18. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 09:41:01 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-01-29 09:14:20 -0800, Graham <> said:
    >
    >> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 09:08:35 -0800, Savageduck,
    >> <news:2013012909083582397-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom> expounded this
    >> theory:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for the offer. I am sure I might be able to come up with
    >>> something. Perhaps not quite what Bowser had in mind.
    >>>
    >>> Out here in California the historic construction was limited to short
    >>> squat Jesuit priests building short, squat fortifications they called
    >>> missions. The religious mission was secondary to the military one, and
    >>> the served mainly as Spanish garrisons rather than Gothic houses of
    >>> worship.
    >>>
    >>> Today the religious aspect is remembered and the military one discounted.

    >> What's the form? All three images attached to one email or to
    >> separate emails? I've read the rulz and that is the only point I'm
    >> unclear about.

    >I usually send the SI's "Big Giant Head" individual emails with the
    >appropriate image attached. That way I can add notes, etc. for the
    >individual images.
    >I have no doubt that if all three images are attached to a single email
    >and your email server doesn't choke there would be no issue on the
    >receiving end.

    I have always sent one email with three attachments. Never a problem.

    >Just follow the SI labeling convention, I also use the label as the
    >subject for my email:
    >Steeples-Graham-01
    >Steeples-Graham-02
    >Steeples-Graham-03

    I prefer titles: Steeples_ St Michael's_Graham
    Steeples_Wee Free Church_Graham
    Steeples_Westminster-Graham

    If anyone bothers to comment, it makes it clear which image is being
    discussed.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Tony Cooper, Jan 29, 2013
  19. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/29/2013 3:55 PM, Graham wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 15:46:40 -0500, Tony Cooper,
    > <news:p> expounded this
    > theory:
    >
    >>> How about if I submit some to help you all out? No shortage of
    >>> steeples, spires, pinnacles or other pointed adornments to buildings
    >>> etc here in England.
    >>>

    >> Sobriquet will take you up on that.

    > Oh dear :)

    Just took a peak at your spires. Nice collection. It will be
    interesting to see which ones you put in the SI.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jan 30, 2013
  20. Tony Cooper

    gregz Guest

    Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:39:56 -0800, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2013-01-28 13:24:18 -0800, Tony Cooper <> said:
    >>
    >>> When's "Steeples" due?

    >> February 10, 2013
    >>
    >>> Here's one that isn't going to make the cut. It's simple, with good
    >>> color, but rather uninteresting. Non-traditional steeple on a
    >>> Catholic church.

    >> With most everything around here being "mission" style, and very
    >> unsteeple like, we don't have too much in terms of phallic steeples to
    >> be found. Unless I can dig up some steeple analogs I might not have any
    >> suitable images to contribute this time around.

    > My submissions will be traditional steeple with spires, but I would
    > include bell towers and mission towers in the mandate. Actually, a
    > "steeple" is a tall tower and what we picture as a steeple is the
    > tower plus the spire. It's still a steeple without the spire. Many
    > steeples don't have spires.
    >
    > The word itself is from the Old English for "tower".
    >

    > --
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Steeple's often mask cell phone antennas.

    Greg

    gregz, Jan 30, 2013