Steady beeping though not each day

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fatfreek, Sep 12, 2005.

  1. Fatfreek

    Fatfreek Guest

    I may go five or so restarts where there is no beeping. This morning it's
    the constant beeping (every 1 second). Yesterday, the intervals were some
    42 seconds. When the beeping happens I turn the audio volume to zero.
    Naturally, during those sessions I've lost any features that require audio.

    Other than the beeping I know of no problems while running any application -
    Word, Excel, AutoCad, Paint Shop Pro, ZtreeWin, TextPad, Internet Explorer.
    Each time I launch Winbond Hardware Doctor 2.73 I see no warnings -- all the
    temperatures, etc., seem to be within bounds.

    This has been going on for some six months.

    I'm up to date with my McAfee virus protection and have recently done a
    complete virus scan.

    I'm up to date with Windows 2000 Pro, using their latest service pack. I
    run on a homebrewed system based around an Abit 1C7-G motherboard for the
    past 16 months.

    One suspicion that I hope I've ruled out is my SpyderPro2 monitor calibrator
    from the Pantone Colorvision folks. My problem began shortly after I
    installed their software/hardware. After a default period, two weeks, you
    get a nag screen suggesting that your monitor requires calibration. An
    email response from those people told me how to turn off that nag screen. I
    'm not convinced that the beeping is not coming from, say, their startup
    program.

    Len Miller
    --
    To email reply, eradicate all threes in my SPAM guarded address.

    Fatfreek, Sep 12, 2005

  2. Fatfreek

    Trax Guest

    "Fatfreek" <> wrote:

    |>I may go five or so restarts where there is no beeping. This morning it's
    |>the constant beeping (every 1 second). Yesterday, the intervals were some
    |>42 seconds. When the beeping happens I turn the audio volume to zero.
    |>Naturally, during those sessions I've lost any features that require audio.

    Download and run Process Explorer
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

    Find the process that's beeping, double click on it and read it's
    image it will tell you what program is responsible, and a starting
    point.

    Don't know what the process's are, right click on them and select
    google.

    --

    http://media.putfile.com/PurePwnage-WoWisafeeling

    Trax, Sep 12, 2005

  3. Fatfreek

    Fatfreek Guest

    What a sleuth you are! And what a great application by Mark Russinovich.
    Thank you, also, Mark.

    The offender turned out to be Google Deskbar (one of my favorite tools for
    finding quickie answers, definitions to words, etc.)

    PID 1540, ggviewER81-82.e
    (whatever that all is)

    Forever indebted to you, Mark.
    Len Miller

    Fatfreek, Sep 12, 2005
  4. Fatfreek

    Trax Guest

    "Fatfreek" <> wrote:

    |>What a sleuth you are! And what a great application by Mark Russinovich.
    |>Thank you, also, Mark.
    |>
    |>The offender turned out to be Google Deskbar (one of my favorite tools for
    |>finding quickie answers, definitions to words, etc.)
    |>
    |>PID 1540, ggviewER81-82.e
    |>(whatever that all is)

    |>Forever indebted to you, Mark.
    |>Len Miller
    Paper works on the way :)

    A lot of credit goes to you. In this group folks will give the tools
    or advice to fix a problem, yet the recipient still can't finger it
    out.

    Yes P.E is a great and valuable tool, be sure to check out what else
    is available http://www.sysinternals.com/ lots of good and useful
    stuff.

    --

    http://media.putfile.com/PurePwnage-WoWisafeeling