status of next generation DVD (FMD, fluorescent multilayer disc) ?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mad Scientist Jr, Aug 4, 2004.

    1. Advertising

  1. >A FMD disc the size of a CD can hold 50-100 GB per disc?
    >Is this still in development, was a hoax, or did S

    I just read yesterday that the next generation dvd disc is the WMV HD DVD that
    can currently be played only on computers and that the first disc of it was
    just recently publically released.
    Waterperson77, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Re: status of next generation DVD (FMD, fluorescent multilayer disc)?

    Waterperson77 wrote:
    >>A FMD disc the size of a CD can hold 50-100 GB per disc?
    >>Is this still in development, was a hoax, or did S

    > I just read yesterday that the next generation dvd disc is the WMV HD DVD that
    > can currently be played only on computers and that the first disc of it was
    > just recently publically released.

    Since you said "DVD" you are technically correct, I guess. However the
    next optical disc format for movies with be either HD-DVD or the
    technically superior Blu-Ray (which has the support of the major
    studios, a very, very important issue). HD-DVD *might* use WMV, that's
    what the DVD Consortium is talking about (as well as other compression
    schemes), but Blu-Ray will not use WMV.

    The smart money is on Blu-Ray.

    --

    "One must conclude that, contrary to the established and current wisdom,
    a scenario describing the genesis of life on earth by chance and natural

    --Hubert P. Yockey, Journal of Theoretical Biology
    Grand Inquisitor, Aug 7, 2004
  3. Mad Scientist Jr

    NeoRenegade Guest

    Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    > Waterperson77 wrote:
    >
    >>> A FMD disc the size of a CD can hold 50-100 GB per disc? Is this
    >>> still in development, was a hoax, or did S

    >> I just read yesterday that the next generation dvd disc is the WMV HD
    >> DVD that
    >> can currently be played only on computers and that the first disc of
    >> it was
    >> just recently publically released.

    > Since you said "DVD" you are technically correct, I guess. However the
    > next optical disc format for movies with be either HD-DVD or the
    > technically superior Blu-Ray (which has the support of the major
    > studios, a very, very important issue). HD-DVD *might* use WMV, that's
    > what the DVD Consortium is talking about (as well as other compression
    > schemes), but Blu-Ray will not use WMV.
    >
    > The smart money is on Blu-Ray.

    I'm glad to hear that. The fidelity of WMV is simply not good enough for
    professional use.

    - NR
    NeoRenegade, Aug 7, 2004