    Thanks for any info!
    Jason

    , Oct 5, 2004

  2. luminos Guest

    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php?ID=9623

    It is a marginalized format, and IMO, will remain so.

    luminos, Oct 5, 2004

  3. TrevorS Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > There are a few things i'm curious about since I've purchased a dvd-a
    > player along with a few discs:
    >
    > 1. How is the dvd-a format faring against SACDs and regular CDs?
    > 2. Where can I find a future release schedule?
    > 3. There are some very odd releases out in DVD-A. For instance, Iron
    > Maiden's new album(yes, they're still around) is out in DVD, but their
    > classic material isn't. Why release the average new album when an
    > older more popular album can be released?
    >
    > Thanks for any info!
    > Jason

    Good questions, seems hard to find good information.

    I have a universal player and here's my two cents.

    1) Test marketing of the newly approved Dual Disc (DVD-A layer and CD
    layer on one disc) was supposedly very successful and indicates appeal
    to CD buyers. Down side is that the new releases were put on hold
    while the new technology was checked out. A number of titles are
    supposed to show up in September and October and hopefully continue
    from there. DVD-A has a cost of mastering (PC software is around 7K)
    which is much less than SACD (hardware cost is 25K or so) which makes
    it more accessable for artists. SACD has worsening S/N and resolution
    with increasing frequency that results in less high resolution than
    redbook CD above about 7 KHz (statistical filtering -- noise shaping
    -- helps it sound smooth up there -- crowd pleasing, but can't recover
    the lost detail). Whether or not that will ultimately impact its
    acceptance relative to DVD-A is still unknown (DVD-A resolution and
    S/N don't vary).

    My personal preference is DVD-A since the format is genuinely capable
    of high resolution and to my ears usually sounds closer to real,
    especially in the highs; however, just like with CD, there is never a
    gaurantee a particular recording will be mastered optimally.
    Therefore, regardless of format, the end product is always a
    crapshoot.

    2) This is the best single source of DVD-A and SACD information I've
    run across so far: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=17671467

    3) I'm seeing a mix of recent and older titles myself, though it
    seems like typically only two per released artist. I think they're
    just testing the waters still, though it seems like Neil Young is
    strongly represented. I'm personally hoping to see Crosby, Stills,
    et.al. with Deja Vu and others (they seemed to be interested about a
    year or so ago). To be seen.

    TrevorS, Oct 6, 2004
  4. Galley Guest

    On 5 Oct 2004 13:24:08 -0700, spewed forth these words of
    wisdom:

    >There are a few things i'm curious about since I've purchased a dvd-a
    >player along with a few discs:
    >
    >1. How is the dvd-a format faring against SACDs and regular CDs?
    >2. Where can I find a future release schedule?
    >3. There are some very odd releases out in DVD-A. For instance, Iron
    >Maiden's new album(yes, they're still around) is out in DVD, but their
    >classic material isn't. Why release the average new album when an
    >older more popular album can be released?
    >
    >Thanks for any info!
    >Jason

    AFAIK, SACD has 3-5 times more titles, and better label support. Hardware
    support seems to be about equal.

    Galley

    Galley, Oct 6, 2004
  5. Pug Fugley Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php?ID=9623
    >
    > It is a marginalized format, and IMO, will remain so.

    Those sales numbers are skewed however, as they do not track online sales.
    Personally, everyone I know that has DVD-A/SACD (including me) has bought
    all titles online.

    Pug Fugley, Oct 6, 2004
  6. Pug Fugley wrote:
    > Those sales numbers are skewed however, as they do not track online
    > sales. Personally, everyone I know that has DVD-A/SACD (including me)
    > has bought all titles online.

    Yeah, as if you ask an employee at most electronic stores where the DVD-A
    or SACD titles are and you get a confused look.....

    --
    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    TNAImpact.com Admin

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Oct 7, 2004