    one, but not the quick launch bar.

    Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

    , Nov 8, 2007

  2. neepdocker Guest

    On 8 Nov, 22:04, wrote:
    > I obviously did something that caused the status bar to get wider
    > running WinXP, but cannot figure out how to get it back to single
    > layer. Several suggestions on Google, but can't get one to work. I
    > can drag the bar down to single layer but then cannot get the quick
    > launch bar to operate. The task bar will go from two layers to
    > one, but not the quick launch bar.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

    I think like most people I have found the status bar doubling up etc.
    The quick launch bar often disapears at times. Right click on the
    status bar and close the quick launch toolbar in toolbars. Once you
    have the status bar shrunk open it again.

    neepdocker, Nov 8, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:16:31 -0800, neepdocker <>
    wrote:

    >On 8 Nov, 22:04, wrote:
    >> I obviously did something that caused the status bar to get wider
    >> running WinXP, but cannot figure out how to get it back to single
    >> layer. Several suggestions on Google, but can't get one to work. I
    >> can drag the bar down to single layer but then cannot get the quick
    >> launch bar to operate. The task bar will go from two layers to
    >> one, but not the quick launch bar.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

    >I think like most people I have found the status bar doubling up etc.
    >The quick launch bar often disapears at times. Right click on the
    >status bar and close the quick launch toolbar in toolbars. Once you
    >have the status bar shrunk open it again.

    You are right - closing the wuick launch bar reduces the size of the
    status bar, but opening the quick launch bar doubles it up again. I
    can live without the quick launch capability, but I miss the damn
    thing.

    , Nov 8, 2007
  4. Ben Myers Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > I obviously did something that caused the status bar to get wider
    > running WinXP, but cannot figure out how to get it back to single
    > layer. Several suggestions on Google, but can't get one to work. I
    > can drag the bar down to single layer but then cannot get the quick
    > launch bar to operate. The task bar will go from two layers to
    > one, but not the quick launch bar.
    > Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

    Drag one of the dotted dividers from the bottom layer to the one above it.
    Then try resizing.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Nov 9, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 04:42:49 -0500, "Ben Myers"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message news:...
    >> I obviously did something that caused the status bar to get wider
    >> running WinXP, but cannot figure out how to get it back to single
    >> layer. Several suggestions on Google, but can't get one to work. I
    >> can drag the bar down to single layer but then cannot get the quick
    >> launch bar to operate. The task bar will go from two layers to
    >> one, but not the quick launch bar.
    >> Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

    >Drag one of the dotted dividers from the bottom layer to the one above it.
    >Then try resizing.
    >
    >Ben

    Ben - thanks. The layers are not defined - all I do with that one is
    get additional layers on top. At least I can hold it at two ;)

    , Nov 9, 2007
  6. Ben Myers Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 04:42:49 -0500, "Ben Myers"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > ><> wrote in message news:...
    > >> I obviously did something that caused the status bar to get wider
    > >> running WinXP, but cannot figure out how to get it back to single
    > >> layer. Several suggestions on Google, but can't get one to work. I
    > >> can drag the bar down to single layer but then cannot get the quick
    > >> launch bar to operate. The task bar will go from two layers to
    > >> one, but not the quick launch bar.
    > >> Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

    > >Drag one of the dotted dividers from the bottom layer to the one above it.
    > >Then try resizing.
    > >
    > >Ben

    > Ben - thanks. The layers are not defined - all I do with that one is
    > get additional layers on top. At least I can hold it at two ;)

    Actually, I was referring to the vertical dotted dividers within the bottom
    layer. If these are not visible, your taskbar may be locked. Left-click
    the divider and drag it up and to the left. Then try resizing.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Nov 9, 2007
  7. Guest

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 12:17:04 -0500, "Ben Myers"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message news:...
    >> On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 04:42:49 -0500, "Ben Myers"
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >Drag one of the dotted dividers from the bottom layer to the one above it.
    >> >Then try resizing.
    >> >
    >> >Ben

    >> Ben - thanks. The layers are not defined - all I do with that one is
    >> get additional layers on top. At least I can hold it at two ;)

    >Actually, I was referring to the vertical dotted dividers within the bottom
    >layer. If these are not visible, your taskbar may be locked. Left-click
    >the divider and drag it up and to the left. Then try resizing.
    >
    >Ben

    It does not seem to be possible to left click on the divider - either
    lower bar or upper bar. The cursor becomes a double arrow -
    <--> - but when I drag it, the existing quick launce icons move from
    the upper portion to the lower and subsequent dragging moves them back
    up again. It seems like the bar has changed for the rest of its
    life. If I get desperate enough I'll clean up the drive and
    re-install the OS. Won't be the first time.

    , Nov 9, 2007
  8. Ben Myers Guest

    > >> Ben - thanks. The layers are not defined - all I do with that one is
    > >> get additional layers on top. At least I can hold it at two ;)

    > >Actually, I was referring to the vertical dotted dividers within the bottom
    > >layer. If these are not visible, your taskbar may be locked. Left-click
    > >the divider and drag it up and to the left. Then try resizing.
    > >
    > >Ben

    > It does not seem to be possible to left click on the divider - either
    > lower bar or upper bar. The cursor becomes a double arrow -
    > <--> - but when I drag it, the existing quick launce icons move from
    > the upper portion to the lower and subsequent dragging moves them back
    > up again. It seems like the bar has changed for the rest of its
    > life. If I get desperate enough I'll clean up the drive and
    > re-install the OS. Won't be the first time.

    See "Moving and Sizing the Taskbar" on the following page:

    http://www.coolnerds.com/XP/Taskbar/xpTaskbar.htm

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Nov 10, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:37:11 -0500, "Ben Myers"
    <> wrote:

    >> >Actually, I was referring to the vertical dotted dividers within the bottom
    >> >layer. If these are not visible, your taskbar may be locked. Left-click
    >> >the divider and drag it up and to the left. Then try resizing.
    >> >
    >> >Ben

    >> It does not seem to be possible to left click on the divider - either
    >> lower bar or upper bar. The cursor becomes a double arrow -
    >> <--> - but when I drag it, the existing quick launce icons move from
    >> the upper portion to the lower and subsequent dragging moves them back
    >> up again. It seems like the bar has changed for the rest of its
    >> life. If I get desperate enough I'll clean up the drive and
    >> re-install the OS. Won't be the first time.

    >See "Moving and Sizing the Taskbar" on the following page:
    >
    >http://www.coolnerds.com/XP/Taskbar/xpTaskbar.htm
    >
    >Ben

    Interesting - thanks. The only thing I got from that was your
    earlier suggestion about moving the handles. Same result - I can
    move the icons from top to bottom and back by dragging the handles,
    but cannot get the size back. I can get the size back if I am
    prepared to give up the quick launch bar - very frustrating.

    , Nov 10, 2007