Stats Experts: Use Gnumeric, Don’t Use Excel

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 21, 2010.

  1. Interesting. Gnumeric initially cloned Excel so exactly that it reproduced
    the same calculation bugs. However, those have now been fixed, while Excel
    remains as buggy as ever <http://www.csdassn.org/reportdetail.cfm?ID=508>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 21, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    Re: Non-stats expert: use a stats tool for doing stats!

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > Interesting. Gnumeric initially cloned Excel so exactly that it reproduced
    > the same calculation bugs. However, those have now been fixed, while Excel
    > remains as buggy as ever <http://www.csdassn.org/reportdetail.cfm?ID=508>.
    >

    Why would you use a spreadsheet to do statistical anaylysis? There are
    tools designed for doing statistical analysis, SPSS, R and Matlab with
    the stats toolkit all being good examples, and far better choices than
    gnumeric or excel.

    Using excel,gnumeric or any other general purpose spreadsheet for
    statistical analysis sounds a bit like using a baseball bat to drive nails.
    Squiggle, Feb 22, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    Re: Non-stats expert: use a stats tool for doing stats!

    On Feb 22, 2:03 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down the intarwebs:> Interesting. Gnumeric initially cloned Excel so exactly that it reproduced
    > > the same calculation bugs. However, those have now been fixed, while Excel
    > > remains as buggy as ever <http://www.csdassn.org/reportdetail.cfm?ID=508>.

    >
    > Why would you use a spreadsheet to do statistical anaylysis?  There are
    > tools designed for doing statistical analysis, SPSS, R and Matlab with
    > the stats toolkit all being good examples, and far better choices than
    > gnumeric or excel.
    >
    > Using excel,gnumeric or any other general purpose spreadsheet for
    > statistical analysis sounds a bit like using a baseball bat to drive nails.


    Hence the logical conclusion of your argument is that the Excel bugs
    do not need fixing as people should be using specialist software for
    the task in hand. What a cop-out!

    Enough people seem to use statistical functions in spreadsheets as to
    warrant their retention and in the case of Gnumeric to warrant
    volunterers to get stuck in and fix the bugs.
    peterwn, Feb 22, 2010
    #3
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Re: Non-stats expert: use a stats tool for doing stats!

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Feb 22, 2:03 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down the intarwebs:> Interesting. Gnumeric initially cloned Excel so exactly that it reproduced
    >>> the same calculation bugs. However, those have now been fixed, while Excel
    >>> remains as buggy as ever <http://www.csdassn.org/reportdetail.cfm?ID=508>.

    >> Why would you use a spreadsheet to do statistical anaylysis? There are
    >> tools designed for doing statistical analysis, SPSS, R and Matlab with
    >> the stats toolkit all being good examples, and far better choices than
    >> gnumeric or excel.
    >>
    >> Using excel,gnumeric or any other general purpose spreadsheet for
    >> statistical analysis sounds a bit like using a baseball bat to drive nails.

    >
    > Hence the logical conclusion of your argument is that the Excel bugs
    > do not need fixing as people should be using specialist software for
    > the task in hand.


    That is a non sequitur.
    Gib Bogle, Feb 22, 2010
    #4
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    Re: Non-stats expert: use a stats tool for doing stats!

    On Feb 22, 6:00 pm, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    > peterwn wrote:
    > > On Feb 22, 2:03 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down the intarwebs:> Interesting. Gnumeric initially cloned Excel so exactly that it reproduced
    > >>> the same calculation bugs. However, those have now been fixed, while Excel
    > >>> remains as buggy as ever <http://www.csdassn.org/reportdetail.cfm?ID=508>.
    > >> Why would you use a spreadsheet to do statistical anaylysis?  There are
    > >> tools designed for doing statistical analysis, SPSS, R and Matlab with
    > >> the stats toolkit all being good examples, and far better choices than
    > >> gnumeric or excel.

    >
    > >> Using excel,gnumeric or any other general purpose spreadsheet for
    > >> statistical analysis sounds a bit like using a baseball bat to drive nails.

    >
    > > Hence the logical conclusion of your argument is that the Excel bugs
    > > do not need fixing as people should be using specialist software for
    > > the task in hand.  

    >
    > That is a non sequitur.


    Of course. If spreadsheet programs have statistical functions for
    whaever reason, or lack of, they should operate correctly.
    peterwn, Feb 22, 2010
    #5
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Re: Non-stats expert: use a stats tool for doing stats!

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Feb 22, 6:00 pm, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >> peterwn wrote:
    >>> On Feb 22, 2:03 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >>>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down the intarwebs:> Interesting. Gnumeric initially cloned Excel so exactly that it reproduced
    >>>>> the same calculation bugs. However, those have now been fixed, while Excel
    >>>>> remains as buggy as ever <http://www.csdassn.org/reportdetail.cfm?ID=508>.
    >>>> Why would you use a spreadsheet to do statistical anaylysis? There are
    >>>> tools designed for doing statistical analysis, SPSS, R and Matlab with
    >>>> the stats toolkit all being good examples, and far better choices than
    >>>> gnumeric or excel.
    >>>> Using excel,gnumeric or any other general purpose spreadsheet for
    >>>> statistical analysis sounds a bit like using a baseball bat to drive nails.
    >>> Hence the logical conclusion of your argument is that the Excel bugs
    >>> do not need fixing as people should be using specialist software for
    >>> the task in hand.

    >> That is a non sequitur.

    >
    > Of course. If spreadsheet programs have statistical functions for
    > whaever reason, or lack of, they should operate correctly.


    Plus willful misconstruing. As you well know, he didn't say anything about the
    need to fix bugs in Excel, and to claim such a "logical conclusion" is illogical.
    Gib Bogle, Feb 22, 2010
    #6
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    Re: Non-stats expert: use a stats tool for doing stats!

    On Feb 23, 9:12 am, Gib Bogle <> wrote:

    >
    > > Of course.  If spreadsheet programs have statistical functions for
    > > whaever reason, or lack of,  they should operate correctly.

    >
    > Plus willful misconstruing.  As you well know, he didn't say anything about the
    > need to fix bugs in Excel, and to claim such a "logical conclusion" is illogical.


    Which begs the question why he made an off topic comment to start
    with. I construed his comment to mean "you might as well stick eith
    Excel, as no serious statistics person uses spreadsheets for
    statistics" and drew my conclusions from this.
    peterwn, Feb 22, 2010
    #7
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Re: Non-stats expert: use a stats tool for doing stats!

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Feb 23, 9:12 am, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Of course. If spreadsheet programs have statistical functions for
    >>> whaever reason, or lack of, they should operate correctly.

    >> Plus willful misconstruing. As you well know, he didn't say anything about the
    >> need to fix bugs in Excel, and to claim such a "logical conclusion" is illogical.

    >
    > Which begs the question why he made an off topic comment to start
    > with. I construed his comment to mean "you might as well stick eith
    > Excel, as no serious statistics person uses spreadsheets for
    > statistics" and drew my conclusions from this.
    >


    Eh? He said this "Using excel,gnumeric or any other general purpose spreadsheet
    for statistical analysis sounds a bit like using a baseball bat to drive nails."
    Does this sound like advocating sticking with Excel? Not to me.
    Gib Bogle, Feb 22, 2010
    #8
  9. Re: Non-stats expert: use a stats tool for doing stats!

    In message <hluvm4$qrc$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > He said this "Using excel,gnumeric or any other general purpose
    > spreadsheet for statistical analysis sounds a bit like using a baseball
    > bat to drive nails."
    > Does this sound like advocating sticking with Excel? Not to me.


    But there was a clear implication that the bugs somehow didn’t matter.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 22, 2010
    #9
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Re: Non-stats expert: use a stats tool for doing stats!

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <hluvm4$qrc$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> He said this "Using excel,gnumeric or any other general purpose
    >> spreadsheet for statistical analysis sounds a bit like using a baseball
    >> bat to drive nails."
    >> Does this sound like advocating sticking with Excel? Not to me.

    >
    > But there was a clear implication that the bugs somehow didn’t matter.


    Not to me. The implication to me was that only a fool would use Excel for stats.
    Gib Bogle, Feb 23, 2010
    #10
  11. Re: Non-stats expert: use a stats tool for doing stats!

    In message <hlvm31$vfk$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> But there was a clear implication that the bugs somehow didn’t matter.

    >
    > Not to me. The implication to me was that only a fool would use Excel for
    > stats.


    But what would the relevance be of that, then?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 23, 2010
    #11
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    Re: Non-stats expert: use a stats tool for doing stats!

    On Feb 23, 5:37 pm, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > In message <hluvm4$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    >
    > >> He said this "Using excel,gnumeric or any other general purpose
    > >> spreadsheet for statistical analysis sounds a bit like using a baseball
    > >> bat to drive nails."
    > >>   Does this sound like advocating sticking with Excel?  Not to me.

    >
    > > But there was a clear implication that the bugs somehow didn’t matter..

    >
    > Not to me.  The implication to me was that only a fool would use Excel for stats.


    Since allegedly one is born every minute, there would be millions of
    people out there who would potentially use spreadsheet software for
    stats.
    peterwn, Feb 23, 2010
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mr Jibbles
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    937
  2. Miguel

    Gnumeric question

    Miguel, Apr 11, 2007, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    767
  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Friends Don’t Let Friends Do IE6

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 5, 2010, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    33
    Views:
    1,077
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    Feb 11, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    People Don’t Want Free Software ... Yeah Right

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 30, 2010, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    439
    peterwn
    Oct 3, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    258
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    Oct 16, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page