    Hey, can someone point me to the file that you can edit to add a program
    to run on boot.. (presumably you set wich user is runing it too...)

    Thanks Daniel
    Daniel, Aug 30, 2005

  2. Daniel

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:38:09 +1200, Daniel wrote:

    > Hey, can someone point me to the file that you can edit to add a program
    > to run on boot.. (presumably you set wich user is runing it too...)
    >
    > Thanks Daniel

    /etc/rc.local is read at boot time, and you can put shell commands in
    there for programs you want to start, however IIRC everything is run as
    root

    Shane, Aug 30, 2005

  3. Daniel

    Harry Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    > Hey, can someone point me to the file that you can edit to add a program
    > to run on boot.. (presumably you set wich user is runing it too...)

    In /etc/rc.d/rc.local put:

    su USER -l -c "put your command here"

    But if you want better control over your program you will add an
    entry to /etc/rc.d/init.d and put symbolic links from /etc/rc.d/rc?.d
    like other programs have (eg. httpd).

    What sort of program do you want to start and what does it do?
    Harry, Aug 31, 2005
  4. Daniel

    Fran Guest

    Harry wrote:

    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> Hey, can someone point me to the file that you can edit to add a program
    >> to run on boot.. (presumably you set wich user is runing it too...)
    >>

    > In /etc/rc.d/rc.local put:
    >
    > su USER -l -c "put your command here"
    >
    > But if you want better control over your program you will add an
    > entry to /etc/rc.d/init.d and put symbolic links from /etc/rc.d/rc?.d
    > like other programs have (eg. httpd).
    >
    > What sort of program do you want to start and what does it do?

    Or put the command in their .profile file?

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Aug 31, 2005