STATIC in Close Program box

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kirsty, Nov 11, 2005.

  1. Kirsty

    Kirsty Guest

    Hi,

    My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system occasionally
    'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to fix
    this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an item
    called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the system
    functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a few
    minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had reappeared
    in the Close Program box.

    He has no idea what STATIC is or where it came from. Searching in 'Find
    files or folders' shows nothing and it's not listed in Add/remove programs
    either.

    I also noticed, while trying to find out what STATIC was, that you can't
    access the registry either. Going to Start, Run and typing regedit gives
    you the error message 'This program has performed an illegal operation and
    will be terminated. Quit all programs and restart your computer.'

    Any ideas?

    Thanks, Kirsty.

    Kirsty, Nov 11, 2005

  2. Kirsty

    James Guest

    "Kirsty" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system occasionally
    > 'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to fix
    > this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an item
    > called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the system
    > functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a few
    > minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had
    > reappeared
    > in the Close Program box.
    >
    > He has no idea what STATIC is or where it came from. Searching in 'Find
    > files or folders' shows nothing and it's not listed in Add/remove programs
    > either.
    >
    > I also noticed, while trying to find out what STATIC was, that you can't
    > access the registry either. Going to Start, Run and typing regedit gives
    > you the error message 'This program has performed an illegal operation and
    > will be terminated. Quit all programs and restart your computer.'

    Don't want to cause panic but it COULD be:-
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/spyware.remotekey.html

    James, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Kirsty

    Kirsty Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message

    > "Kirsty" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system

    occasionally
    > > 'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to

    fix
    > > this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an item
    > > called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the

    system
    > > functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a

    few
    > > minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had
    > > reappeared
    > > in the Close Program box.
    > >
    > > He has no idea what STATIC is or where it came from. Searching in 'Find
    > > files or folders' shows nothing and it's not listed in Add/remove

    programs
    > > either.
    > >
    > > I also noticed, while trying to find out what STATIC was, that you can't
    > > access the registry either. Going to Start, Run and typing regedit

    gives
    > > you the error message 'This program has performed an illegal operation

    and
    > > will be terminated. Quit all programs and restart your computer.'

    > Don't want to cause panic but it COULD be:-

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/spyware.remotekey.html

    Thanks for replying.

    I just got him to have a look in the add/remove programs box and there was
    no mention of Remote Keylogger, so it doesn't look like it's that. Also no
    results for 'Keylogger' in 'Find files or folders', so I don't think that's
    the problem.

    Kirsty.

    Kirsty, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Kirsty

    MJP Guest

    "Kirsty" <> wrote in message

    > "James" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Kirsty" <> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system

    > occasionally
    >> > 'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to

    > fix
    >> > this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an
    >> > item
    >> > called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the

    > system
    >> > functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a

    > few
    >> > minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had
    >> > reappeared
    >> > in the Close Program box.
    >> >
    >> > He has no idea what STATIC is or where it came from. Searching in
    >> > 'Find
    >> > files or folders' shows nothing and it's not listed in Add/remove

    > programs
    >> > either.
    >> >
    >> > I also noticed, while trying to find out what STATIC was, that you
    >> > can't
    >> > access the registry either. Going to Start, Run and typing regedit

    > gives
    >> > you the error message 'This program has performed an illegal operation

    > and
    >> > will be terminated. Quit all programs and restart your computer.'

    >> Don't want to cause panic but it COULD be:-
    >>

    > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/spyware.remotekey.html
    >>

    > Thanks for replying.
    >
    > I just got him to have a look in the add/remove programs box and there was
    > no mention of Remote Keylogger, so it doesn't look like it's that. Also
    > no
    > results for 'Keylogger' in 'Find files or folders', so I don't think
    > that's
    > the problem.
    >
    > Kirsty.

    1.I am not going to write a keylogger program that appears in the add/
    remove programs list.
    2. I will not call it keylogger.

    Think again.

    MJP

    MJP, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Kirsty

    Trax Guest

    "Kirsty" <> wrote:

    |>Hi,
    |>
    |>My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system occasionally
    |>'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to fix
    |>this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an item
    |>called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the system
    |>functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a few
    |>minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had reappeared
    |>in the Close Program box.
    |>
    |>He has no idea what STATIC is or where it came from. Searching in 'Find
    |>files or folders' shows nothing and it's not listed in Add/remove programs
    |>either.
    |>
    |>I also noticed, while trying to find out what STATIC was, that you can't
    |>access the registry either. Going to Start, Run and typing regedit gives
    |>you the error message 'This program has performed an illegal operation and
    |>will be terminated. Quit all programs and restart your computer.'
    |>
    |>Any ideas?

    James is most likely right, it being a keylogger. If you want to
    remove it then...

    Download and run Process Explorer
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

    Double click on STATIC and read it's image, and the command line.
    example: "E:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"

    Stop the STATIC process, then delete the folder and all files you
    found. Reboot and run regedit and search for the file listed in the
    command line, deleting each listing.

    --
    Never argue with an idiot.
    They drag you down to their level,

    Trax, Nov 12, 2005
  6. Kirsty

    Plato Guest

    Kirsty wrote:

    > My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system occasionally
    > 'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to fix
    > this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an item
    > called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the system
    > functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a few
    > minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had reappeared
    > in the Close Program box.

    Remove the program. Remove the calls to the program in the registry.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 12, 2005
  7. Kirsty

    Kirsty Guest

    "MJP" <> wrote in message

    > "Kirsty" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "James" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Kirsty" <> wrote in message

    > > occasionally

    > > fix

    > > system

    > > few

    > > programs

    > > gives

    operation
    > > and
    > >>

    > >> Don't want to cause panic but it COULD be:-

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/spyware.remotekey.html

    > > Thanks for replying.
    > >
    > > I just got him to have a look in the add/remove programs box and there

    was
    > > no mention of Remote Keylogger, so it doesn't look like it's that. Also
    > > no
    > > results for 'Keylogger' in 'Find files or folders', so I don't think
    > > that's
    > > the problem.
    > >
    > > Kirsty.

    > 1.I am not going to write a keylogger program that appears in the add/
    > remove programs list.
    > 2. I will not call it keylogger.
    >
    > Think again.
    >
    > MJP

    According to the Symantec page that James posted the link to, this
    particular piece of spyware is in the Add/remove programs file under the
    name Remote Keylogger. This entry doesn't appear on the computer in
    question, hence why I said I don't think this particular piece of spyware is
    the problem in this case.

    I'm aware that it could still be spyware under another name but I haven't
    been able to find anything obvious in the Windows or Program Files folders.
    Spybot, Ad-aware and Cleanup! are installed and have been updated and run
    recently and have not found the problem.

    Any suggestions on what else to look for?

    Kirsty.

    Kirsty, Nov 12, 2005
  8. Kirsty

    Kirsty Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > "Kirsty" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>Hi,
    > |>
    > |>My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system

    occasionally
    > |>'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to

    fix
    > |>this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an item
    > |>called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the

    system
    > |>functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a

    few
    > |>minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had

    reappeared
    > |>in the Close Program box.
    > |>
    > |>He has no idea what STATIC is or where it came from. Searching in 'Find
    > |>files or folders' shows nothing and it's not listed in Add/remove

    programs
    > |>either.
    > |>
    > |>I also noticed, while trying to find out what STATIC was, that you can't
    > |>access the registry either. Going to Start, Run and typing regedit

    gives
    > |>you the error message 'This program has performed an illegal operation

    and
    > |>will be terminated. Quit all programs and restart your computer.'
    > |>
    > |>Any ideas?
    >
    > James is most likely right, it being a keylogger. If you want to
    > remove it then...
    >
    > Download and run Process Explorer
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
    >
    > Double click on STATIC and read it's image, and the command line.
    > example: "E:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
    >
    > Stop the STATIC process, then delete the folder and all files you
    > found. Reboot and run regedit and search for the file listed in the
    > command line, deleting each listing.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I did download Process Explorer the other day
    and I didn't see anything that looked like it might be it, but I'll try it
    again. Hopefully if I find the STATIC thing and delete it then I'll be able
    to access the registry again, I just get an error message every time I try
    at the moment.

    Kirsty.

    Kirsty, Nov 12, 2005
  9. Kirsty

    Kirsty Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Kirsty wrote:
    > >
    > > My brother is having a problem with his computer - the system

    occasionally
    > > 'freezes' - clicking on items with the mouse does nothing. The way to

    fix
    > > this appears to be to press Ctrl Alt Del and click 'End Task' on an item
    > > called STATIC (it appears in capitals). Once STATIC is closed, the

    system
    > > functions normally again, although often it will freeze again within a

    few
    > > minutes and the process has to be repeated as the STATIC item had

    reappeared
    > > in the Close Program box.

    > Remove the program. Remove the calls to the program in the registry.

    If I knew where to find the program then I would have done that already and,
    as I said in my first post, I can't access the registry at all, I get an
    error message when I try.

    Kirsty

    Kirsty, Nov 12, 2005
  10. Kirsty

    chrispsg Guest

    instead of using regedit try regedt32.

    have you tried accessing the registry in safe mode?

    chrispsg, Nov 12, 2005
  11. Kirsty

    Kirsty Guest

    "chrispsg" <> wrote in message
    > instead of using regedit try regedt32.
    >
    > have you tried accessing the registry in safe mode?

    Thanks for those suggestions, I haven't tried either of them - didn't know
    about regedt32 and it hadn't occurred to me to try it in safe mode. I'll
    try these later today and post back then.

    Thanks for your help!

    Kirsty

    Kirsty, Nov 12, 2005