Static electricy, how do you fight it? and a question about fried motherboards

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jeff@msn.com.net, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    Im wondering what I should be using to fight static electricity,
    something not super expensive. Do those wrist bands really work?
    Where would be the best/cheapest place to buy something efficient?

    Somehow I fried 5 CPUs last week, all Athlon XP chips (jesus, when
    did the price skyrocket on these CPUs, its costing me a fortune to
    replace them...).

    The first one was due to the power button being pressed by my daughter
    when there was no heat sink on the CPU (xp2100+).. my fault for
    having the power plugged in.

    Anyway, I think that fried the motherboard also, because when I put
    another CPU in to test the mobo I think it fried that second CPU
    (when I tried it on another mobo later it didn't work.)

    that went on for 5 CPUs before I decided to quit.

    Some of this might have happened due to static elec, that is why I was
    asking the first questions.

    Last question.

    If I have a fried motherboard (which I am not positive of), will
    installing a new CPU on the mobo cause damage to the CPU? Is there
    any possibility? If so Im just going to trash the mobo.

    thank you!
    , Feb 4, 2006

  2. Guest

    Re: Static electricy, how do you fight it? and a question about fried motherboards

    If i were you, i'd (just to be safe and since you don't know exactly
    what is wrong with it) trash the motherboard and get a new motherboard
    and CPU. You should really get one of the wristbands if you plan to
    fiddle around with the motherboard, and yes they do work.
    , Feb 4, 2006

  3. PC Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >

    > Im wondering what I should be using to fight static electricity,
    > something not super expensive. Do those wrist bands really work?
    > Where would be the best/cheapest place to buy something efficient?
    >

    > Somehow I fried 5 CPUs last week, all Athlon XP chips (jesus, when
    > did the price skyrocket on these CPUs, its costing me a fortune to
    > replace them...).
    >
    > The first one was due to the power button being pressed by my daughter
    > when there was no heat sink on the CPU (xp2100+).. my fault for
    > having the power plugged in.
    >
    > Anyway, I think that fried the motherboard also, because when I put
    > another CPU in to test the mobo I think it fried that second CPU
    > (when I tried it on another mobo later it didn't work.)
    >
    > that went on for 5 CPUs before I decided to quit.
    >
    > Some of this might have happened due to static elec, that is why I was
    > asking the first questions.
    >

    > Last question.
    >
    > If I have a fried motherboard (which I am not positive of), will
    > installing a new CPU on the mobo cause damage to the CPU? Is there
    > any possibility? If so Im just going to trash the mobo.
    >

    > thank you!

    Jeff

    Reading your post there are several 'causes' for your losses.

    1 Daughter in working area (toddler ?)
    2 Working on PC with power plugged in.
    3 Leaving a CPU without a heat sink.
    4 'Static Electricity'
    5 Gambling tendancy (x 5)

    OK I'm playing 'devils advocate'

    Seriously though I think you should look at what you've done and ask what
    'you' need to do to prevent this happening again.

    May I 'advocate'

    1 Total ban of 'offspring' from the work area.
    2 Disconnect the power cord (I don't advocate the ground lead only/ power
    off at the wall theories either)
    3 If the heat sink is not installed on a CPU 'immediately' pull the ATX
    power lead off the MBoard
    4 Buy yourself a 'wrist ground lead' and use it, yes they do work. For extra
    safety get a Ground mat as well.
    5 If it doesn't work after '2' then it's time to review and find out why.

    Now you haven't said so, but I'll venture you were doing all this under some
    sort of time constraint, right?
    Bad move, always allow some seconds or even several minutes if possible
    between changes for things to settle down.
    There will be some that will poo poo that Idea, but the invariably I have
    found throw it in, won't go, get hacked off, put it aside, come back to it
    sime time later, and without any changes it will work.

    Best Luck
    Paul.
    PC, Feb 5, 2006
  4. Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 21:40:44 GMT, wrote:

    >Hi,
    >

    >Im wondering what I should be using to fight static electricity,
    >something not super expensive. Do those wrist bands really work?
    >Where would be the best/cheapest place to buy something efficient?

    Simpliest thing is to touch the PC case to ground yourself with your
    bare hand. The wrist straps do work but they are awkward and can cause
    skin irritation. Few if any pros seem to use them.

    Don't wear all synthetic clothing and rubber soled shoes, and don't
    work on the sort of carpet which you know from experience is
    "staticy".

    >Last question.
    >
    >If I have a fried motherboard (which I am not positive of), will
    >installing a new CPU on the mobo cause damage to the CPU? Is there
    >any possibility?

    It is possible. In light of your wrecked CPUs experience, probably
    best to discard it and get a new one.

    good luck

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Feb 5, 2006
  5. Guest

    thank you all for the responses
    , Feb 6, 2006
  6. posted for all of us...
    I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

    > Hi,
    >

    > Im wondering what I should be using to fight static electricity,
    > something not super expensive. Do those wrist bands really work?
    > Where would be the best/cheapest place to buy something efficient?
    >

    > Somehow I fried 5 CPUs last week, all Athlon XP chips (jesus, when
    > did the price skyrocket on these CPUs, its costing me a fortune to
    > replace them...).
    >
    > The first one was due to the power button being pressed by my daughter
    > when there was no heat sink on the CPU (xp2100+).. my fault for
    > having the power plugged in.
    >
    > Anyway, I think that fried the motherboard also, because when I put
    > another CPU in to test the mobo I think it fried that second CPU
    > (when I tried it on another mobo later it didn't work.)
    >
    > that went on for 5 CPUs before I decided to quit.
    >
    > Some of this might have happened due to static elec, that is why I was
    > asking the first questions.
    >

    > Last question.
    >
    > If I have a fried motherboard (which I am not positive of), will
    > installing a new CPU on the mobo cause damage to the CPU? Is there
    > any possibility? If so Im just going to trash the mobo.
    >

    > thank you!

    I won't go into your travails but the best way to fight static is to get the
    humidity up.
    --
    My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
    I said I don't know and I don't care...

    Tekkie
    =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?=, Feb 7, 2006
  7. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-02-07, Tekkie® <> wrote:
    > posted for all of us...
    > I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>

    >> Im wondering what I should be using to fight static electricity,

    snip

    > I won't go into your travails but the best way to fight static is to get the
    > humidity up.

    OK, you know not to top-post; now learn to "snip" :))

    (We'll go into attribution lines in our next lesson).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Feb 7, 2006
  8. Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Mon, 6 Feb 2006
    21:12:19 -0500, canst thou now find out, to hide Tekkie®
    <> from this open and apparent shame?:

    <blip>
    >> Im wondering what I should be using to fight static electricity,
    >> something not super expensive.

    <bink>
    >I won't go into your travails but the best way to fight static is to

    get the
    >humidity up.

    I wonder how one would go about that.
    Bowls of water placed around the room?
    Maybe get ones wife and/or kids to stand around with spray bottles
    spritzing the air?
    Move to south Florida?

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Frosty, Feb 8, 2006
  9. FML Guest

    Frosty wrote:
    > What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Mon, 6 Feb 2006
    > 21:12:19 -0500, canst thou now find out, to hide Tekkie®
    > <> from this open and apparent shame?:
    >
    > <blip>
    >>> Im wondering what I should be using to fight static electricity,
    >>> something not super expensive.

    > <bink>
    >> I won't go into your travails but the best way to fight static is to

    > get the
    >> humidity up.

    > I wonder how one would go about that.
    > Bowls of water placed around the room?
    > Maybe get ones wife and/or kids to stand around with spray bottles
    > spritzing the air?
    > Move to south Florida?

    Or one could buy a room humidifier.
    FML, Feb 8, 2006