Startup

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Mike Benton, May 24, 2007.

  1. Mike Benton

    Mike Benton Guest

    I have a new laptop (HP dv9000 with Intel Centrino Duo x64 2.0 with 2 GB
    RAM, 512MB nVidia Video, 200 GB drive). I'm running Vista Ultimate. This was
    suppose to be my 'dream machine'. I really looked forward to the day when I
    finally got to bring it home.

    I have MS Office 2007 and Zune software installed, but that's basically it.
    I used offline files in the past (in the first few weeks I had the laptop)
    to sync a network drive which contained all my media files. After starting
    my laptop I would basically have to walk away for an hour while it ran at
    100%. Using ProcMon I discovered it was the offline files that caused my CPU
    to run so hard and have since disabled the service. However, I still have to
    wait anywhere between 10 - 15 minutes before my laptop really becomes usable
    after booting up. I even have to wait sometimes 5 minutes or more when
    shutting down for the process to complete.

    What's with all the wait time? I can't figure out all these services that
    run that are suppose to make my computing experience better. I have several
    svchost processes that run. One of these takes up 140 MB of memory alone.
    When it comes to performance, why can't I have one control panel that allows
    me to choose which services I want to run that may effect the performance of
    my machine? I feel like I need to take a 10-week Microsoft course to learn
    what is necessary to configure my laptop.

    Mike B.

    Mike Benton, May 24, 2007

  2. Mike Benton

    mikeyhsd Guest

    Juergen, your clock is one month behind.
    noticed because have a rule to mark anything over 4 days old as read.

    "Juergen Kluth" <> wrote in message news:%...
    Hi,
    may be indexing service -> computermanagement->services-><indexing
    service ->try to deaktivate it
    if it helps ?!
    jk

    mikeyhsd, May 24, 2007

  3. Mike Benton

    Mike Benton Guest

    In the control panel there is "Performance Tools and Information". However,
    I haven't found anything too helpful yet. It shows me the startup
    applications, which is nice. Also, it has indexing options. It says I
    currently have 823 items indexed....all from Outlook. That doesn't seem like
    many items to me. At least I'm able to rule out Indexing.

    I don't see anything else. There are three svchost instances set to startup.
    They list dll files with no description:
    NvCpl.dll, NvStartup
    nvsvc64.dll, nvsvcStart
    NvMcTray.dll, nvTaskbarInit

    The list of applications is incomplete. There are many other apps that run
    at startup. Some I'm familiar with and many I am not.

    Mike Benton, May 24, 2007
  4. Your first step should be to ask HP.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 24, 2007
  5. Mike Benton

    Mike Benton Guest

    Thank you for pointing out that calling support is an option. Many times
    when presented with an issue I will use more than one resource to resolve
    it. I have opened a ticket with HP. Essentially I was told there is nothing
    HP can do. What did I really expect them to do?

    Before, I complained about not being able to see the many processes that
    run, and their disk activity. Someone responded with the ProcMan
    application. Already I received more assistance on these groups. It's a
    great interactive knowledge base. I would encourage people to use it rather
    than point them in other directions.

    Mike Benton, May 24, 2007
  6. Mike Benton

    John Barnes Guest

    Those starting with NV are nVidia and are related to either or both of the
    video card or chipset on the MOBO

    John Barnes, May 24, 2007
  7. If your Video Card is a GO card, make sure you have the proper GO driver -
    the default nVidia drivers does not support GO cards!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 24, 2007
  8. Mike Benton

    Mike Benton Guest

    My video drivers work fine, thanks. I'm not having driver issues. I'm only
    having performance issues.

    Mike Benton, May 25, 2007