    opening faster but it didn't solve my bootup problem. I have searched
    this group and I should tell you that, "no" I don't have a NIC installed
    on my PC. Please help me.

    Super Drunk, Jun 26, 2003

  2. Super Drunk

    °Mike° Guest

    Basic system maintenance:

    · Close I.E. and empty your temporary internet files from
    Control Panel / Internet Options. Be sure to check the
    box to include offline content.

    · Clean up unnecessary files from your hard drive. HDValet
    performs this well, and is highly configurable.

    http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-bin/freedownload/Multi-Platform/n/105/hdvalet.zip

    · Make sure that you do not have too many files and folders in
    'My Documents'. Create new folders *outside* of 'My Documents'
    and move stuff to the new folders.

    · Clean up your registry (you MUST read the FAQs):
    Jv16 Power Tools
    http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml
    EasyCleaner
    http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm

    · Streamline your startups - disable what is not necessary:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
    http://www.greatis.com/regrun3startupprograms.htm
    http://www.greatis.com/regrun3necessary.htm

    · Reboot and immediately empty your Windows\Temp folder.

    · Empty your recycle bin.

    · Keep your system well maintained.

    Install and run:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://security.kolla.de/

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    Download and install Bootlog Examiner. Reboot, and hold
    the CTRL key until the DOS menu appears. From the menu,
    choose 'Logged (bootlog.txt). When Windows has loaded,
    run Bootlog Examiner to check where the delays are.

    Bootlog Examiner
    http://www.blueorbsoft.com/ble/

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:31:03 -0500, in
    <>
    Super Drunk scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jun 26, 2003

  3. Super Drunk

    °Mike° Guest

    Please direct your question to the original poster.
    I do not have the problem. Highlight the post
    you wish to respond to before pressing 'Reply Group'.

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:25:04 GMT, in
    <QXrKa.27899$>
    Cindy scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jun 26, 2003
  4. Super Drunk

    Shep© Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:31:03 -0500, Whilst playing Smegball with the
    scutters Super Drunk <> wrote :

    >Hello,
    >
    > I am using a Compaq 5345, AMD K6 400 MHz, Windows 98 PC. For some
    >reason the computer recently kept freezing a lot and I realized the only
    >thing different was I had TRIED to download RealPlayer. I eventually
    >found out some TKbell thing running in the back. I uninstalled Real
    >Player and also Winamp. Then when I go to boot up it takes an hour for
    >thing thing to boot up. It says "Compaq" in red and sits there. I go
    >away, come back and after like 10-15 minutes (no joke) it boots up to
    >Windows and everything works again. Other times it just boots up
    >regularly with no problems. I thought it might be memory so I upgraded
    >from 92Mb to 348Mb of RAM. Still nothing. I notice applications
    >opening faster but it didn't solve my bootup problem. I have searched
    >this group and I should tell you that, "no" I don't have a NIC installed
    >on my PC. Please help me.

    Try here,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html
    HTH :O)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,

    Shep©, Jun 26, 2003
  5. Super Drunk

    Super Drunk Guest

    Well let me take ur list one at a time.

    "°Mike°" wrote:

    > Basic system maintenance:
    >
    > · Close I.E. and empty your temporary internet files from
    > Control Panel / Internet Options. Be sure to check the
    > box to include offline content.

    Did/Do that. I always delete temp files and cookies and clear history
    once every two days if not daily.

    > · Clean up unnecessary files from your hard drive. HDValet
    > performs this well, and is highly configurable.
    >
    > http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-bin/freedownload/Multi-Platform/n/105/hdvalet.zip

    I didn't know this program existed. I have, however, uninstalled all
    unnecessary programs and deleted all registry entries for them. I'm
    sure some files were leftover so I'll get the program.

    > · Make sure that you do not have too many files and folders in
    > 'My Documents'. Create new folders *outside* of 'My Documents'
    > and move stuff to the new folders.

    Okay, you got me. I don't understand how this could cause my OS from
    booting properly. I will, nevertheless, take your adivce and do this.
    I do have folders within folders within folders.

    > · Clean up your registry (you MUST read the FAQs):
    > Jv16 Power Tools
    > http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml
    > EasyCleaner
    > http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm

    I use Easycleaner all the time.

    > · Streamline your startups - disable what is not necessary:
    > http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
    > http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html
    > http://www.greatis.com/regrun3startupprograms.htm
    > http://www.greatis.com/regrun3appdatabase.htm
    > http://www.greatis.com/regrun3necessary.htm

    I do that. The only thing showing up is: Explorer, Runapp, Loadqm,
    Em_exec, Systra, and Ptsnoop(this is utility for my modem and is not
    spyware).

    > · Reboot and immediately empty your Windows\Temp folder.

    Will do.

    > · Empty your recycle bin.

    It never has anything in it.

    > · Keep your system well maintained.

    I try to do that often sir.

    > Install and run:
    >
    > Spybot Search & Destroy
    > http://security.kolla.de/
    >
    > Ad-Aware
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >
    > Spyware Blaster

    I use Spybot Search and Destroy. It only found some cookies etc. and
    nothing else.

    > Download and install Bootlog Examiner. Reboot, and hold
    > the CTRL key until the DOS menu appears. From the menu,
    > choose 'Logged (bootlog.txt). When Windows has loaded,
    > run Bootlog Examiner to check where the delays are.
    >
    > Bootlog Examiner
    > http://www.blueorbsoft.com/ble/

    I'll do this. It looks like I need something like this first to
    diagnose the problem.

    Thanks for all your help and insight. I will do the things you
    mentioned. I just wanted to update the information hoping something
    else would come to mind. I will also take into consideration the virus
    suggestion. I don't have an AV for my system. I had McAfee but it's
    liscence ran out. I did use AVG before but uninstalled it thinking it
    was causing the problems and also some here said it doesn't work
    properly anyway. Thanks again though. Hope you can give me a free AV
    program that you use. If it's AVG then I'll go get it again. Thanks.

    Super Drunk, Jun 26, 2003
  6. Super Drunk

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:36:09 -0500, in
    <>
    Super Drunk scrawled:

    >Well let me take ur list one at a time.
    >
    >"°Mike°" wrote:
    >>
    >> Basic system maintenance:

    <snip>

    >> · Streamline your startups - disable what is not necessary:
    >> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
    >> http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html
    >> http://www.greatis.com/regrun3startupprograms.htm
    >> http://www.greatis.com/regrun3appdatabase.htm
    >> http://www.greatis.com/regrun3necessary.htm

    >I do that. The only thing showing up is: Explorer, Runapp, Loadqm,
    >Em_exec, Systra, and Ptsnoop(this is utility for my modem and is not
    >spyware).

    Disable Loadqm; it can be a system resource hog - see the
    comments here:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php#L

    >> Download and install Bootlog Examiner. Reboot, and hold
    >> the CTRL key until the DOS menu appears. From the menu,
    >> choose 'Logged (bootlog.txt). When Windows has loaded,
    >> run Bootlog Examiner to check where the delays are.
    >>
    >> Bootlog Examiner
    >> http://www.blueorbsoft.com/ble/

    >I'll do this. It looks like I need something like this first to
    >diagnose the problem.

    This is the crux to diagnosing your problem.

    >Thanks for all your help and insight. I will do the things you
    >mentioned. I just wanted to update the information hoping something
    >else would come to mind. I will also take into consideration the virus
    >suggestion. I don't have an AV for my system. I had McAfee but it's
    >liscence ran out. I did use AVG before but uninstalled it thinking it
    >was causing the problems and also some here said it doesn't work
    >properly anyway. Thanks again though. Hope you can give me a free AV
    >program that you use. If it's AVG then I'll go get it again. Thanks.

    Personally, I use eZ Antivirus. It's not free, but it's cheap,
    is VERY effective, and has a very small footprint.

    A free alternative to AVG is Gladiator:
    http://www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

    <snip>

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jun 26, 2003
  7. Super Drunk

    Plato Guest

    Super Drunk wrote:

    > Okay, I got Bootlog Examiner and it showed me in seconds how long each
    > process took. The entire process supposedly takes only 1 and 1/2

    Maybe try BootLogAnalyzer?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 26, 2003
  8. Super Drunk

    Super Drunk Guest

    I don't know if it is exactly during the POST because the thing won't
    move from the "Compaq" screen. When I first turn on it has these little
    blinking cursors on the screen so I'm assuming that it does the POST
    already and THEN gets stuck. I don't know what else to do. Also, the
    bootlog won't update. It keeps saying in BootExaminer that the
    bootlog.txt is from 06/27/03 6:12 a.m. I tried to hold the control key
    down and try it but it still says the same date on bootlog.txt I
    already shifted the memory modules around when I installed new memory.
    I have 256Mb, 64Mb, and 32Mb in that order from 1 to 3 banks. Thanks
    for all your suggestions so far. I really appreciate it.

    Super Drunk, Jun 27, 2003
  9. Super Drunk

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:38:54 -0500, Whilst playing Smegball with the
    scutters Super Drunk <> wrote :

    >I don't know if it is exactly during the POST because the thing won't
    >move from the "Compaq" screen. When I first turn on it has these little
    >blinking cursors on the screen so I'm assuming that it does the POST
    >already and THEN gets stuck. I don't know what else to do. Also, the
    >bootlog won't update. It keeps saying in BootExaminer that the
    >bootlog.txt is from 06/27/03 6:12 a.m. I tried to hold the control key
    >down and try it but it still says the same date on bootlog.txt I
    >already shifted the memory modules around when I installed new memory.
    >I have 256Mb, 64Mb, and 32Mb in that order from 1 to 3 banks. Thanks
    >for all your suggestions so far. I really appreciate it.

    <snip>
    Delete the bootlog.txt
    Re-boot and choose a logged bootup.It will make a new one.
    Post delays only.

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,

    Shep©, Jun 27, 2003
  10. Super Drunk

    °Mike° Guest

    It *is* the 27th of June (06/27/03) today.
    In Bootlog Examiner select 'Show only delays' and copy the
    results to the clipboard. Paste them into notepad. Now
    select 'Show only failures', and copy/paste into notepad.
    Copy the results from notepad and paste them here.

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:38:54 -0500, in
    <>
    Super Drunk scrawled:

    °Mike°, Jun 27, 2003
  11. Super Drunk

    Super Drunk Guest

    None of it is helping. I sat in front of the computer for 20 minutes
    while it showed that damn "Compaq" in red letter at startup. Then when
    I heard the hard drive chugging along a little I quickly pressed Ctrl
    and went to option 2 which was log Bootlog and I did it. I went to
    BootlogExaminer and it had the updated log file. NOTHING! The boot
    process took only 1 minute or so. So the problem is not with Windows
    booting up wrong. Something is going wrong BEFORE anything goes into
    Windows. I don't get it. I went into the BIOS by hitting F10 and when
    I got there nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I think it has to do
    the POST because the I turn the computer on/reboot it, and it has the
    little blinker on two spots of the screen. One is on the upper left
    corner and then it goes to the right corner and then just stops doing
    anything. The hard drive is not moving or anything. I'm really hoping
    someone can help me on this because it's so annoying to turn the
    computer on and not have it go into Windows for 20 mintues! Thank you
    all for your help.

    Super Drunk, Jun 27, 2003
  12. Super Drunk

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:26:42 -0500, Whilst playing Smegball with the
    scutters Super Drunk <> wrote :

    >None of it is helping. I sat in front of the computer for 20 minutes
    >while it showed that damn "Compaq" in red letter at startup. Then when
    >I heard the hard drive chugging along a little I quickly pressed Ctrl
    >and went to option 2 which was log Bootlog and I did it. I went to
    >BootlogExaminer and it had the updated log file. NOTHING! The boot
    >process took only 1 minute or so. So the problem is not with Windows
    >booting up wrong. Something is going wrong BEFORE anything goes into
    >Windows. I don't get it. I went into the BIOS by hitting F10 and when
    >I got there nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I think it has to do
    >the POST because the I turn the computer on/reboot it, and it has the
    >little blinker on two spots of the screen. One is on the upper left
    >corner and then it goes to the right corner and then just stops doing
    >anything. The hard drive is not moving or anything. I'm really hoping
    >someone can help me on this because it's so annoying to turn the
    >computer on and not have it go into Windows for 20 mintues! Thank you
    >all for your help.

    It sound's like a hardware fault and the bootlog may have pointed to
    it.
    However Compcraps are a law unto themselves.
    Best post on here,

    alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

    Shep©, Jun 27, 2003
  13. Super Drunk

    Unk Guest

    Try borrowing a known, good stick of memory, and use it instead of yours.
    Maybe the BIOS is having a hard time with memory. (Slow, vs bad)

    Unk

    Unk, Jun 27, 2003
  14. Super Drunk

    °Mike° Guest

    Power off, open your box and remove EVERYTHING - take the
    whole thing apart. Clean everything up; blow out any dirt
    or dust; clean contacts etc., and replace everything, making
    sure that there are no loose connections and try again.

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:26:42 -0500, in
    <>
    Super Drunk scrawled:

    >None of it is helping. I sat in front of the computer for 20 minutes
    >while it showed that damn "Compaq" in red letter at startup. Then when
    >I heard the hard drive chugging along a little I quickly pressed Ctrl
    >and went to option 2 which was log Bootlog and I did it. I went to
    >BootlogExaminer and it had the updated log file. NOTHING! The boot
    >process took only 1 minute or so. So the problem is not with Windows
    >booting up wrong. Something is going wrong BEFORE anything goes into
    >Windows. I don't get it. I went into the BIOS by hitting F10 and when
    >I got there nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I think it has to do
    >the POST because the I turn the computer on/reboot it, and it has the
    >little blinker on two spots of the screen. One is on the upper left
    >corner and then it goes to the right corner and then just stops doing
    >anything. The hard drive is not moving or anything. I'm really hoping
    >someone can help me on this because it's so annoying to turn the
    >computer on and not have it go into Windows for 20 mintues! Thank you
    >all for your help.
    >
    >"Shep©" wrote:
    >>
    >> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:38:54 -0500, Whilst playing Smegball with the
    >> scutters Super Drunk <> wrote :
    >>
    >> >I don't know if it is exactly during the POST because the thing won't
    >> >move from the "Compaq" screen. When I first turn on it has these little
    >> >blinking cursors on the screen so I'm assuming that it does the POST
    >> >already and THEN gets stuck. I don't know what else to do. Also, the
    >> >bootlog won't update. It keeps saying in BootExaminer that the
    >> >bootlog.txt is from 06/27/03 6:12 a.m. I tried to hold the control key
    >> >down and try it but it still says the same date on bootlog.txt I
    >> >already shifted the memory modules around when I installed new memory.
    >> >I have 256Mb, 64Mb, and 32Mb in that order from 1 to 3 banks. Thanks
    >> >for all your suggestions so far. I really appreciate it.

    >> <snip>
    >> Delete the bootlog.txt
    >> Re-boot and choose a logged bootup.It will make a new one.
    >> Post delays only.
    >>
    >> HTH :)

    <snip broken, spammy sig>

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jun 27, 2003
  15. Super Drunk

    Super Drunk Guest

    Well, let me first thank you for replying to this thread after a few
    days. Second, on my last post what I mean to say was that instead of
    saying "06/27/03" it said "06/17/03" I hit the wrong key of "2" instead
    of "1" by accident. In any case that problem is solved and I have an
    updated bootlog.txt file. Now here is the data you requested. One
    thing to note, however. It says "Bootup Time (min.): 00:45" in the
    data. So I take it means 45 minutes to boot but, how can that be? The
    computer gets stuck on the "Compaq" screen for maybe 20 minutes and then
    boots up in windows in about a minute. Also it says the file is created
    at 3:20:32 but the first process doesn't show up until 3:22:33; two
    minutes after the file is created. I look at BootExaminer and it says
    that system time at first process is 3:22:23 PM and the last process is
    at 3:23:19 PM. Ofcourse, the first thing that fails is the first
    process it tries to execute. Maybe that's what's causing all this. The
    first process at 3:22:23 is a failed process as you will see in the
    data. Thank you all very much for your time on this problem. Here is
    the data you requested (maximize your window if you can please):

    -------START DATA-----------

    Bootlog Examiner (C:\Bootlog.txt 6/27/2003 3:20:32 PM)

    (Delays Only Shown)

    System Time Proc. Time Process
    ----------- ---------- -------

    3:22:33 PM *** 20.33 Loading Device = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CPQIDECD.SYS
    3:22:57 PM *** 6.22 C:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~1\MCAFEE~1\SCAN.EXE[000F35C0]
    starting
    3:23:09 PM *** 1.56 Dynamic load success lmouse.vxd
    3:23:10 PM *** 1.33 DEVICEINIT = LMOUSE
    3:23:13 PM *** 1.44 Initing esdi_506.pdr
    3:23:14 PM *** 1.44 Initing drvwq117.vxd

    Bootup Time (min.): 00:45
    Total Delays: 6
    Total Failures: 6
    Total Entries: 845

    -------------------------

    Bootlog Examiner (C:\Bootlog.txt 6/27/2003 3:20:32 PM)

    (Failures Only Shown)

    System Time Proc. Time Process
    ----------- ---------- -------

    3:22:33 PM 0.00 *** LoadFailed = C:\ESSOLO.SYS
    3:22:53 PM 0.00 *** LoadFailed = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CPQIDECD.SYS
    3:23:04 PM 0.00 *** LoadFailed = ndis2sup.vxd
    3:23:06 PM 0.00 *** DEVICEINITFAILED = MTRR
    3:23:16 PM 0.00 *** INITCOMPLETEFAILED = SIS530V
    3:23:16 PM 0.00 *** INITCOMPLETEFAILED = SDVXD

    Bootup Time (min.): 00:45
    Total Delays: 6
    Total Failures: 6
    Total Entries: 845

    Super Drunk, Jun 28, 2003
  16. Super Drunk

    Super Drunk Guest

    Just a quick note... I did a search for ESSOLO.sys and it showed up in
    C:\ and also ESSOLO.com and ESSOLO.ini The ESSOLY.sys is an 11 kb
    file. I guess the file is where it should so I don't get why it's
    failing to load.

    Super Drunk, Jun 28, 2003