    register itself to launch on start up....

    I'm having trouble finding it again, does anyone remember the name of
    this program?

    Dennis, Jun 13, 2006

  2. Dennis

    °Mike° Guest

    In message <>,
    Dennis took 10 lines to impart the following:

    >I formatted my drive recently. I used to have a very very simple
    >freeware program that protected me from any programs making changes to
    >my "Startup" folder and the equivalent registry keys. It was extremely
    >simple and just made a small popup come up saying something like 'Do
    >you want to allow this change?' whenever some evil program tried to
    >register itself to launch on start up....
    >
    >I'm having trouble finding it again, does anyone remember the name of
    >this program?

    WinPatrol
    http://www.winpatrol.com/
    --
    I could finally make ends meet, but then somebody moved the ends.

    °Mike°, Jun 13, 2006

  3. Dennis

    Respondant Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > In message <>,
    > Dennis took 10 lines to impart the following:
    >
    >> I formatted my drive recently. I used to have a very very simple
    >> freeware program that protected me from any programs making changes
    >> to my "Startup" folder and the equivalent registry keys. It was
    >> extremely simple and just made a small popup come up saying
    >> something like 'Do you want to allow this change?' whenever some
    >> evil program tried to register itself to launch on start up....
    >>
    >> I'm having trouble finding it again, does anyone remember the name of
    >> this program?

    > WinPatrol
    > http://www.winpatrol.com/

    Never used winpatrol, but what the OP is describing sounds an awful lot like
    TeaTimer, which is a resident tool in Spybot S&D. If so, and the OP has it
    deactivated, it can be switched back on by opening S&D > Mode > Advanced >
    Tools > Resident > tick the TeaTimer box.

    Respondant, Jun 13, 2006
  4. Dennis

    dadiOH Guest

    Dennis wrote:
    > I formatted my drive recently. I used to have a very very simple
    > freeware program that protected me from any programs making changes to
    > my "Startup" folder and the equivalent registry keys. It was extremely
    > simple and just made a small popup come up saying something like 'Do
    > you want to allow this change?' whenever some evil program tried to
    > register itself to launch on start up....
    >
    > I'm having trouble finding it again, does anyone remember the name of
    > this program?

    Startup Monitor is one such...
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
    Freeware
    StartupMonitor is a small utility that runs transparently (it doesn't even
    use a tray icon) and notifies you when any program registers itself to run
    at system startup. It prevents those utterly useless tray applications from
    registering themselves behind your back, and it acts as a security tool
    against trojans like BackOrifice or Netbus

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Jun 13, 2006
  5. Dennis

    °Mike° Guest

    In message <>,
    Respondant took 24 lines to impart the following:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>,
    >> Dennis took 10 lines to impart the following:
    >>
    >>> I formatted my drive recently. I used to have a very very simple
    >>> freeware program that protected me from any programs making changes
    >>> to my "Startup" folder and the equivalent registry keys. It was
    >>> extremely simple and just made a small popup come up saying
    >>> something like 'Do you want to allow this change?' whenever some
    >>> evil program tried to register itself to launch on start up....
    >>>
    >>> I'm having trouble finding it again, does anyone remember the name of
    >>> this program?

    >> WinPatrol
    >> http://www.winpatrol.com/

    >Never used winpatrol, but what the OP is describing sounds an awful lot like
    >TeaTimer, which is a resident tool in Spybot S&D. If so, and the OP has it
    >deactivated, it can be switched back on by opening S&D > Mode > Advanced >
    >Tools > Resident > tick the TeaTimer box.

    WinPatrol is free, small and far better than (the once glitchy)
    TeaTimer.
    --
    Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don't know what your rights are, or who the person is you're talking to. Then on the way out, slam the door!

    °Mike°, Jun 13, 2006
  6. Dennis

    Guest

    "Dennis" <> wrote:

    |>I formatted my drive recently. I used to have a very very simple
    |>freeware program that protected me from any programs making changes to
    |>my "Startup" folder and the equivalent registry keys. It was extremely
    |>simple and just made a small popup come up saying something like 'Do
    |>you want to allow this change?' whenever some evil program tried to
    |>register itself to launch on start up....
    |>
    |>I'm having trouble finding it again, does anyone remember the name of
    |>this program?

    Spybot does this http://www.safer-networking.org/ - there is a
    secondary program it can load (Option) called teatimer, that does just
    what you describe.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html

    --
    http://www.realboring.com/floating-magnet/

    , Jun 13, 2006
  7. Dennis

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 06:32:48 -0700, wrote:

    > "Dennis" <> wrote:
    >
    >|>I formatted my drive recently. I used to have a very very simple
    >|>freeware program that protected me from any programs making changes to
    >|>my "Startup" folder and the equivalent registry keys. It was extremely
    >|>simple and just made a small popup come up saying something like 'Do
    >|>you want to allow this change?' whenever some evil program tried to
    >|>register itself to launch on start up....
    >|>
    >|>I'm having trouble finding it again, does anyone remember the name of
    >|>this program?
    >
    >Spybot does this http://www.safer-networking.org/ - there is a
    >secondary program it can load (Option) called teatimer, that does just
    >what you describe.
    >http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html

    How about WinPatrol. That little Scottie is cute too.
    http://www.winpatrol.com/
    and for the same reason."

    joevan, Jun 13, 2006
  8. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    dadiOH wrote:

    > Startup Monitor is one such...
    > http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
    > Freeware
    > StartupMonitor is a small utility that runs transparently (it doesn't even
    > use a tray icon) and notifies you when any program registers itself to run
    > at system startup. It prevents those utterly useless tray applications from
    > registering themselves behind your back, and it acts as a security tool
    > against trojans like BackOrifice or Netbus

    To follow up my own thread: Thats the one!!! Startup Monitor.. You win
    the prize DadiOH! Thx

    PS: Two thumbs for this program... The thing is only 60k (very small)
    and it works brilliantly.... It has protected me sooo many times from
    other scummy programs and even well known programs that you wouldnt
    think are scummy... This is something most AntiVirus / AntiSpyware
    programs miss. Highly recommended.

    Dennis, Jun 13, 2006