    Why?
    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Frosty, Jan 28, 2006

  2. Frosty

    old jon Guest

    "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Sometimes when I turn on my PC (XP pro, bells, whistles) the memory self
    > test hangs & the only
    > way around it is to do a REALLY cold boot, (unplug the PC).
    > When I plug it back in & turn it one, it starts up normally.

    Do you think you might have a memory fault then ??.
    D\load and run Memtest86.

    --
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Jan 28, 2006

  3. Frosty

    www.seph.ca Guest

    test the memory using another soft... pass/fail?

    memory is often defective, not uncommon.

    will screw your whole machine possibly.

    check into it asap

    ~S~

    www.seph.ca, Jan 28, 2006
  4. Frosty

    Plato Guest

    Frosty wrote:

    > Sometimes when I turn on my PC (XP pro, bells, whistles) the memory self test hangs & the only
    > way around it is to do a REALLY cold boot, (unplug the PC).
    > When I plug it back in & turn it one, it starts up normally.
    >
    > Why?

    Bad RAM? Or incompatible RAM?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 28, 2006
  5. Frosty

    p-nut Guest

    Frosty wrote:
    > Sometimes when I turn on my PC (XP pro, bells, whistles) the memory
    > self test hangs & the only way around it is to do a REALLY cold boot,
    > (unplug the PC).
    > When I plug it back in & turn it one, it starts up normally.
    >
    > Why?

    Either bad ram or very dirty slots.
    Run memtest and see what it says, if it shows everything ok then pull your
    ram out and clean out the slots with canned air and reseat.
    p-nut, Jan 28, 2006
  6. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 28 Jan 2006
    19:44:54 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide "old jon"
    <> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >"Frosty" <> wrote in message
    >> Sometimes when I turn on my PC (XP pro, bells, whistles) the memory

    self
    >> test hangs & the only
    >> way around it is to do a REALLY cold boot, (unplug the PC).
    >> When I plug it back in & turn it one, it starts up normally.
    >>

    >Do you think you might have a memory fault then ??.
    >D\load and run Memtest86.

    English por favor?

    ‹(•¿•)›
    Frosty, Jan 29, 2006
  7. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 28 Jan 2006
    21:55:43 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide "p-nut"
    <i_don'> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >Frosty wrote:
    >> Sometimes when I turn on my PC (XP pro, bells, whistles) the memory
    >> self test hangs & the only way around it is to do a REALLY cold

    boot,
    >> (unplug the PC).
    >> When I plug it back in & turn it one, it starts up normally.
    >>
    >> Why?

    >Either bad ram or very dirty slots.
    >Run memtest

    How please?

    Frosty, Jan 29, 2006
  8. Frosty

    p-nut Guest

    Frosty wrote:
    > What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 28 Jan 2006
    > 21:55:43 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide "p-nut"
    > <i_don'> from this open and apparent shame?:
    >
    >> Frosty wrote:
    >>> Sometimes when I turn on my PC (XP pro, bells, whistles) the memory
    >>> self test hangs & the only way around it is to do a REALLY cold
    >>> boot, (unplug the PC).
    >>> When I plug it back in & turn it one, it starts up normally.
    >>>
    >>> Why?

    >> Either bad ram or very dirty slots.
    >> Run memtest

    > How please?

    http://www.memtest86.com/
    Go there and download the iso.
    Burn it and boot to it, it will test the ram and detect any errors.

    You know how to reseat the ram and clean out the slots correct???
    p-nut, Jan 29, 2006
  9. Frosty

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:p,
    Frosty spewed forth:
    > What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 28 Jan 2006
    > 19:44:54 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide "old jon"
    > <> from this open and apparent shame?:
    >

    >> "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    >>> Sometimes when I turn on my PC (XP pro, bells, whistles) the memory
    >>> self test hangs & the only
    >>> way around it is to do a REALLY cold boot, (unplug the PC).
    >>> When I plug it back in & turn it one, it starts up normally.
    >>>

    >> Do you think you might have a memory fault then ??.
    >> D\load and run Memtest86.

    > English por favor?

    That *was* English.

    D\load = download. Memtest86 = Memtest86.exe (software - you d\load it).

    Toolman Tim, Jan 29, 2006
  10. Frosty

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Jan 29, 2006
  11. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on 29 Jan 2006 12:56:02
    -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide Plato <|@|.|> from this open
    and apparent shame?:

    >Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> > English por favor?
    >> >

    >> That *was* English.
    >>
    >> D\load = download. Memtest86 = Memtest86.exe (software - you d\load

    it).

    >http://www.bootdisk.com/tennessee/memt30.zip
    >

    >-
    >http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Grassy-ass both of youse guys!

    ‹(•¿•)›
    Frosty, Jan 29, 2006
  12. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on 29 Jan 2006 12:56:02
    -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide Plato <|@|.|> from this open
    and apparent shame?:

    >Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> > English por favor?
    >> >

    >> That *was* English.
    >>
    >> D\load = download. Memtest86 = Memtest86.exe (software - you d\load

    it).

    >http://www.bootdisk.com/tennessee/memt30.zip
    >

    >-
    >http://www.bootdisk.com/

    OK, I did the deed & all what I was s'posed to do but nothin'
    happened. Do I gotta go into bios & change my boot order so da ting'll
    woik?
    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Frosty, Jan 29, 2006
  13. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sun, 29 Jan 2006
    15:36:42 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide "p-nut"
    <i_don'> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >Frosty wrote:
    >> What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 28 Jan 2006
    >> 21:55:43 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide "p-nut"
    >> <i_don'> from this open and apparent shame?:

    memory

    >>> Either bad ram or very dirty slots.
    >>> Run memtest

    >> How please?
    >>

    >http://www.memtest86.com/
    >Go there and download the iso.
    >Burn it and boot to it, it will test the ram and detect any errors.
    >
    >You know how to reseat the ram and clean out the slots correct???

    Uh. I s'pose I'd take out the sticks & give the slots a canned-air
    blow job? Maybe wipe off da contacts wid a soft cloth?

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Frosty, Jan 29, 2006
  14. Frosty

    p-nut Guest

    Frosty wrote:
    > What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sun, 29 Jan 2006
    > 15:36:42 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide "p-nut"
    > <i_don'> from this open and apparent shame?:
    >
    >> Frosty wrote:
    >>> What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 28 Jan 2006
    >>> 21:55:43 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide "p-nut"
    >>> <i_don'> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >>> How please?
    >>>

    >> http://www.memtest86.com/
    >> Go there and download the iso.
    >> Burn it and boot to it, it will test the ram and detect any errors.
    >>
    >> You know how to reseat the ram and clean out the slots correct???

    > Uh. I s'pose I'd take out the sticks & give the slots a canned-air
    > blow job? Maybe wipe off da contacts wid a soft cloth?

    Sounds good, just try not to touch the contacts with your fingers.
    I'd run the memtest first and see if it finds anything.
    p-nut, Jan 29, 2006
  15. Frosty

    p-nut Guest

    Frosty wrote:
    > What trick, what device, what starting-hole on 29 Jan 2006 12:56:02
    > -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide Plato <|@|.|> from this open
    > and apparent shame?:

    >>> That *was* English.
    >>>
    >>> D\load = download. Memtest86 = Memtest86.exe (software - you d\load
    >>> it).

    >> http://www.bootdisk.com/tennessee/memt30.zip
    >>

    >> -
    >> http://www.bootdisk.com/

    > OK, I did the deed & all what I was s'posed to do but nothin'
    > happened. Do I gotta go into bios & change my boot order so da ting'll
    > woik?

    Yes, make sure your cdrom is before your hdd in the boot order.
    You did burn that iso image file (which is bootable if burned right) and
    didn't burn it as data right?
    p-nut, Jan 29, 2006
  16. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sun, 29 Jan 2006
    23:12:19 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide "p-nut"
    <i_don'> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >Frosty wrote:
    >> What trick, what device, what starting-hole on 29 Jan 2006 12:56:02
    >> -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide Plato <|@|.|> from this

    open
    >> and apparent shame?:

    d\load

    >>> http://www.bootdisk.com/tennessee/memt30.zip
    >>>

    >>> -
    >>> http://www.bootdisk.com/

    >> OK, I did the deed & all what I was s'posed to do but nothin'
    >> happened. Do I gotta go into bios & change my boot order so da

    ting'll
    >> woik?

    >Yes, make sure your cdrom is before your hdd in the boot order.
    >You did burn that iso image file (which is bootable if burned right)

    and
    >didn't burn it as data right?

    I put it on a floppy like the instructions said.
    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Frosty, Jan 30, 2006
  17. Frosty

    p-nut Guest

    Frosty wrote:
    > What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sun, 29 Jan 2006
    > 23:12:19 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide "p-nut"
    > <i_don'> from this open and apparent shame?:
    >
    >> Frosty wrote:
    >>> What trick, what device, what starting-hole on 29 Jan 2006 12:56:02
    >>> -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide Plato <|@|.|> from this open
    >>> and apparent shame?:

    >>> OK, I did the deed & all what I was s'posed to do but nothin'
    >>> happened. Do I gotta go into bios & change my boot order so da
    >>> ting'll woik?

    >> Yes, make sure your cdrom is before your hdd in the boot order.
    >> You did burn that iso image file (which is bootable if burned right)
    >> and didn't burn it as data right?
    >>

    > I put it on a floppy like the instructions said.

    Whatever if that worked.
    I prefer to use the iso method from www.memtest86.com as I don't use
    floppies anymore.
    The version on the official website is also newer (v3.2)

    Did it find any problems?
    p-nut, Jan 30, 2006
  18. Re: Re: Startup Q

    www.seph.ca wrote:

    test the memory using another soft... pass/fail?

    >memory is often defective, not uncommon.
    >
    >will screw your whole machine possibly.
    >
    >check into it asap
    >
    >~S~

    What do you think machines have to do with your problem?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  19. Re: Re: Startup Q

    Plato wrote:

    Frosty wrote:

    >Bad RAM? Or incompatible RAM?

    Does talking about this bother you?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  20. Re: Re: Startup Q

    p-nut wrote:

    Frosty wrote:

    >Either bad ram or very dirty slots.
    >Run memtest and see what it says, if it shows everything ok then pull your
    >ram out and clean out the slots with canned air and reseat.

    Really, if it shows everything ok then pull my?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006