    time, it makes itself part of the startup programs which naturally slows
    down my computer. Can I stop these programs and others from inserting
    itselves into startup?

    jl, Mar 20, 2005

  2. jl

    Plato Guest

    jl wrote:

    > Win XP Home. I use ms config to unstart programs yet apparently when a
    > program such as real player or quick time is started or used at a later
    > time, it makes itself part of the startup programs which naturally slows
    > down my computer. Can I stop these programs and others from inserting
    > itselves into startup?

    I know what you mean. It sucks when they do that. Personally I went back
    to using an older version of Real, but then as you know, many pages want
    you to use the latest version, sort of a catch22. For Real, I was never
    able to figure out how to stop it from re-insterting itself into
    startup. Darn programs want their icon burned into your brain.

    Plato, Mar 20, 2005

  3. jl

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:42:56 -0500, "jl" <> wrote:

    >Win XP Home. I use ms config to unstart programs yet apparently when a
    >program such as real player or quick time is started or used at a later
    >time, it makes itself part of the startup programs which naturally slows
    >down my computer. Can I stop these programs and others from inserting
    >itselves into startup?

    A good number of spyware programs, including Lavasoft Ad-Aware have a
    startup monitor which will alert you to when a program attempts to
    modify your registry or startup, and allow you to deny the request.

    Evan Platt, Mar 20, 2005
  4. jl

    trout Guest

    jl wrote:

    > Win XP Home. I use ms config to unstart programs yet apparently when
    > a program such as real player or quick time is started or used at a
    > later time, it makes itself part of the startup programs which
    > naturally slows down my computer. Can I stop these programs and
    > others from inserting itselves into startup?

    Often, a program will have an auto-start selection that is checked
    by default on installation. When a program is open, rummage thoroughly
    in its own options and settings.
    --
    Hunt and kill.

    trout, Mar 21, 2005
  5. jl

    Roger Guest

    trout wrote:
    > jl wrote:
    >

    >>Win XP Home. I use ms config to unstart programs yet apparently when
    >>a program such as real player or quick time is started or used at a
    >>later time, it makes itself part of the startup programs which
    >>naturally slows down my computer. Can I stop these programs and
    >>others from inserting itselves into startup?

    > Often, a program will have an auto-start selection that is checked
    > by default on installation. When a program is open, rummage thoroughly
    > in its own options and settings.

    I go into the registry and delete the startup aps:

    Hkey_Current_User/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run
    Hkey_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

    Roger, Mar 21, 2005
  6. jl

    trout Guest

    Roger wrote:

    > trout wrote:
    >> jl wrote:
    >>

    >>> Win XP Home. I use ms config to unstart programs yet apparently
    >>> when a program such as real player or quick time is started or used
    >>> at a later time, it makes itself part of the startup programs which
    >>> naturally slows down my computer. Can I stop these programs and
    >>> others from inserting itselves into startup?

    >> Often, a program will have an auto-start selection that is
    >> checked by default on installation. When a program is open, rummage
    >> thoroughly in its own options and settings.

    > I go into the registry and delete the startup aps:
    >
    > Hkey_Current_User/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run
    > Hkey_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

    I just use WinPatrol.
    --
    Not that I need to- I just like 'Scotty the Watchdog'. *Woof!*

    trout, Mar 21, 2005