    problem still exsists. Obviously something is keeping the system from
    saving my settings, what could that be and how can i fix this problem
    and prevent it from happening again?
    Cheifno, Jun 5, 2004

  2. sounds like u downloaded spyware (popups). run a utility like sybot to
    check ur system. you can download it from www.download.com Also make sure u
    have all the latest security patches from microsoft.

    digitalronin831, Jun 5, 2004

  3. "Cheifno" <> wrote in message
    > I am having a problems with my startup items for windows XP. A couple
    > of days ago my computer started booting up differently, although my
    > system runs fine, programs that I have chosen not to boot with the
    > system are loading when I start the computer. I am finding myself
    > having to manually turn off these programs off every time I restart my
    > computer. I have gone into msconfig and turned the programs off but
    > they still load after every reboot. Also the settings for my toolbar
    > on the desktop have changed as well and continues to boot with the
    > altered settings even after I change them back to the settings I
    > perfer. I have checked the microsoft knowledge base for help and found
    > very little information on my problem. I have done a cold boot and the
    > problem still exsists. Obviously something is keeping the system from
    > saving my settings, what could that be and how can i fix this problem
    > and prevent it from happening again?

    Assuming entries are not in the startup folder.

    Be aware programs loading may not be using a name you will recognize.

    Try taking a look in the registry and delete the entries there. Back up
    registry first.

    Look in:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce

    Bernie
    Bernie Eshleman, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Cheifno

    PlazticSoul Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in message

    > "Cheifno" <> wrote in message
    >> I am having a problems with my startup items for windows XP. A couple
    >> of days ago my computer started booting up differently, although my
    >> system runs fine, programs that I have chosen not to boot with the
    >> system are loading when I start the computer. I am finding myself
    >> having to manually turn off these programs off every time I restart my
    >> computer. I have gone into msconfig and turned the programs off but
    >> they still load after every reboot. Also the settings for my toolbar
    >> on the desktop have changed as well and continues to boot with the
    >> altered settings even after I change them back to the settings I
    >> perfer. I have checked the microsoft knowledge base for help and found
    >> very little information on my problem. I have done a cold boot and the
    >> problem still exsists. Obviously something is keeping the system from
    >> saving my settings, what could that be and how can i fix this problem
    >> and prevent it from happening again?

    > Besides Spybot S & D, download Ad Aware. With both of these, be sure to
    > update before running. Or as the other person said, you could delete in
    > the
    > Registry as well.
    >
    > Mark Mandell

    Sometimes it may be necessary to do a lot of things. Here is what I have had
    to do on some systems with spyware, in the following order:

    1. Run Spybot and Ad-Aware
    2. Go to Add/Remove Programs and see if there is anything you don't want or
    don't recognize
    3. Open the Program Files folder to check for anything hiding there.
    4. Check the registry
    5. Check MSCONFIG (when you make the changes and restart dont forget to
    select the checkbox on that first message that comes up, letting you know
    that changes have been made to the startup)

    Also it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and clear all of your cookies and
    temporary internet files. And if you don't like third-party cookies, disable
    them in Internet Options.
    PlazticSoul, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Cheifno

    PlazticSoul Guest

    "PlazticSoul" <> wrote in message

    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Cheifno" <> wrote in message
    >>> I am having a problems with my startup items for windows XP. A couple
    >>> of days ago my computer started booting up differently, although my
    >>> system runs fine, programs that I have chosen not to boot with the
    >>> system are loading when I start the computer. I am finding myself
    >>> having to manually turn off these programs off every time I restart my
    >>> computer. I have gone into msconfig and turned the programs off but
    >>> they still load after every reboot. Also the settings for my toolbar
    >>> on the desktop have changed as well and continues to boot with the
    >>> altered settings even after I change them back to the settings I
    >>> perfer. I have checked the microsoft knowledge base for help and found
    >>> very little information on my problem. I have done a cold boot and the
    >>> problem still exsists. Obviously something is keeping the system from
    >>> saving my settings, what could that be and how can i fix this problem
    >>> and prevent it from happening again?

    >> Besides Spybot S & D, download Ad Aware. With both of these, be sure to
    >> update before running. Or as the other person said, you could delete in
    >> the
    >> Registry as well.
    >>
    >> Mark Mandell
    >>

    > Sometimes it may be necessary to do a lot of things. Here is what I have
    > had to do on some systems with spyware, in the following order:
    >
    > 1. Run Spybot and Ad-Aware
    > 2. Go to Add/Remove Programs and see if there is anything you don't want
    > or don't recognize
    > 3. Open the Program Files folder to check for anything hiding there.
    > 4. Check the registry
    > 5. Check MSCONFIG (when you make the changes and restart dont forget to
    > select the checkbox on that first message that comes up, letting you know
    > that changes have been made to the startup)
    >
    > Also it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and clear all of your cookies and
    > temporary internet files. And if you don't like third-party cookies,
    > disable them in Internet Options.

    Oh yeah, and check the Processes running in Task Manager
    PlazticSoul, Jun 5, 2004
  6. Cheifno

    MF Guest

    "Cheifno" <> wrote in message
    > I am having a problems with my startup items for windows XP. A couple
    > of days ago my computer started booting up differently, although my
    > system runs fine, programs that I have chosen not to boot with the
    > system are loading when I start the computer. I am finding myself
    > having to manually turn off these programs off every time I restart my
    > computer. I have gone into msconfig and turned the programs off but
    > they still load after every reboot. Also the settings for my toolbar

    <snip>
    Obviously something is keeping the system from
    > saving my settings, what could that be and how can i fix this problem
    > and prevent it from happening again?

    Sometimes you have to do a lot more than even plaztic mentioned.
    Some spyware/hijackware scatters dlls all over - in the Windows directory,
    in Docs and Settings, in System 32 and more. These are activated by a call
    to rundll32 from a registry key you would not think to look in. And their
    function is to check to see if the scumware has been removed, and, if so,
    re-install it. So you can't get rid of the scumware by deleting the files
    that perform its main functions; you have to get rid of the dlls as well.

    A freebee that will find stuff Adaware and Spybot won't: HijackThis. It's
    good - a little user unfriendly, but once you know what the scumware is
    doing, its results become fairly easy to understand.

    For more info, check pestpatrol.com, http://www.spywareinfo.com, devshed
    forums (here's a tip from them:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs
    You have to remove this key.
    BE CAREFUL when fooling with the registry, says Microsoft.

    Also: mcse.ms forums, CEXX.ORG, and lots of others. Search google for
    spyware or spyware removal. Search google groups, too. Many extended
    discussions in forums.

    Also check CWShredder. I haven't used it, but have heard it praised. Info
    on it and hijackthis here:
    http://www.net-integration.net/tools/hijackthis.html

    Mike
    MF, Jun 7, 2004