    I am using Windows XP.

    TIA
    JJ
    J J, Oct 21, 2007

  2. J J

    VanguardLH Guest

    "J J" wrote in message news:...
    > When I start-up my Computer it is very slow, (I had 52 Programmes
    > running in the background), so how do I stop all these Programmes
    > running when I start-up
    >
    > and
    >
    > when I download a program how do stop it going into Start-up
    > automatically? I am using Windows XP.

    So just how many programs have you checked their own configuration
    options to see if they have one to NOT load on Windows startup? Do
    that first. Do that yourself.
    VanguardLH, Oct 21, 2007

  3. J J wrote:

    > When I start-up my Computer it is very slow, (I had 52 Programmes running
    > in the background), so how do I stop all these Programmes running when I
    > start-up
    >
    > and
    >
    > when I download a program how do stop it going into Start-up
    > automatically? I am using Windows XP.

    1st, you should be careful which programs you download, in the first place.
    Do you really need them? At least uninstall programs that appear
    suspicious.
    2nd, some of them may keep their creators or commercial suppliers updated
    with whatever they want, beyond your control. Most of the time it is just
    your browsing habits, to enable targeted advertising, but they may as well
    do evil things.
    3rd, I assume you run antispyware- and virusscans regularly, and keep your
    scanners updated. That's a must when downloading and running such programs,
    but even that doesn't protect you 100%. Be aware of that.
    4th, hopefully your programs have options to control their autostart
    behavior, use that whenever possible: it won't mess up your system.
    5th, in case nothing else helps, use "msconfig" tool. But be aware of the
    risks, do not disable essential services, your system might refuse to start
    up.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Oct 21, 2007
  4. J J

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "J J" <> wrote in message
    > When I start-up my Computer it is very slow, (I had 52 Programmes running
    > in the background), so how do I stop all these Programmes running when I
    > start-up
    >
    > and
    >
    > when I download a program how do stop it going into Start-up
    > automatically? I am using Windows XP.

    If you don't want something to start, then you remove it from the Start-up
    folder. You can also use msconfig an the Run box, go to the Start-up tab and
    uncheck things you don't want to start when the computer is booted.
    Mr. Arnold, Oct 21, 2007
  5. J J

    old man Guest

    Thats not 52 programs running, but proccesses runing. 52 is no big deal, nor
    will it make much difference to your boot time, unless of course one of them
    is Norton / McAfee

    old man, Oct 21, 2007
  6. J J

    chuckcar Guest

    "old man" <> wrote in

    > "J J" <> wrote in message
    >> When I start-up my Computer it is very slow, (I had 52 Programmes
    >> running in the background), so how do I stop all these Programmes
    >> running when I start-up
    >>
    >> and
    >>
    >> when I download a program how do stop it going into Start-up
    >> automatically? I am using Windows XP.
    >>

    > Thats not 52 programs running, but proccesses runing. 52 is no big
    > deal, nor will it make much difference to your boot time, unless of
    > course one of them is Norton / McAfee

    Riight. That's why his computer's running so blindingly fast.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 21, 2007
  7. J J

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 07:27:06 +0100, "J J"
    <> wrote:

    >When I start-up my Computer it is very slow,

    Like how many minutes from when you press the power button, to when
    you get to a useable Desktop (hard-disk light not lit continuously)?

    gb
    Gaius Baltar, Oct 22, 2007
  8. On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 07:27:06 +0100, J J wrote:

    > When I start-up my Computer it is very slow, (I had 52 Programmes
    > running in the background), so how do I stop all these Programmes
    > running when I start-up
    >
    > and
    >
    > when I download a program how do stop it going into Start-up
    > automatically? I am using Windows XP.
    >
    > TIA
    > JJ

    Every programmer thinks their program should start with Windows.
    Sometimes there is not a choice, even when choosing a custom
    installation. Use StartUP CPL, found here:

    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    Shauna Whestivasci, Oct 22, 2007
  9. J J

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 02:20:26 -0000, Shauna Whestivasci
    <> wrote:

    >Every programmer thinks their program should start with Windows.

    Really? I rarely see that.

    >Sometimes there is not a choice, even when choosing a custom
    >installation. Use StartUP CPL, found here:
    >
    >http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    There's a app out there somewhere that monitors when you install a
    application, it 'records' everything - and you need to approve
    everything. So basically then if you want to uninstall it, this
    program knows what registry keys were added, changed, etc. So you can
    TRULY uninstall a program.

    Wish I could remember what it was.
    Evan Platt, Oct 22, 2007
  10. J J

    ellis_jay Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 02:20:26 -0000, Shauna Whestivasci
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Every programmer thinks their program should start with Windows.

    > Really? I rarely see that.
    >
    >> Sometimes there is not a choice, even when choosing a custom
    >> installation. Use StartUP CPL, found here:
    >>
    >> http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    > There's a app out there somewhere that monitors when you install a
    > application, it 'records' everything - and you need to approve
    > everything. So basically then if you want to uninstall it, this
    > program knows what registry keys were added, changed, etc. So you can
    > TRULY uninstall a program.
    >
    > Wish I could remember what it was.

    Regprot from Diamonds and the Teatimer from Spybot Search and Destroy will
    help. Winpatrol can also help in these kinds of problems.

    --
    When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
    not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Oct 22, 2007
  11. J J

    Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote:

    >There's a app out there somewhere that monitors when you install a
    >application, it 'records' everything - and you need to approve
    >everything. So basically then if you want to uninstall it, this
    >program knows what registry keys were added, changed, etc. So you can
    >TRULY uninstall a program.
    >
    >Wish I could remember what it was.

    InstallRite, and it's a great program.
    http://www.epsilonsquared.com/
    But when you see you've written 300+ registry entries, you sure hope
    the uninstall works.

    InstallRite has been out for awhile, I used it to monitor a Norton
    installation on Win98, the log showed pages and pages of registry
    entries.
    --

    What Were His Parents Thinking?
    http://www.ukimagehost.com/uploads/fe2bbdbe85.jpg
  12. J J

    Tony Guest

    Still thinking about that computer that goof was selling a few days ago?
    I can give you a good deal on some i used back in the days of commodore
    64.

    Tony, Oct 22, 2007