startup problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 3, 2007.

  1. Pete wrote:
    > My friends computer since he has put on the new Norton anti virus has been
    > the computer. What does this mean?

    Dump Norton. Pronto.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 3, 2007

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Pete Guest

    Pete, Sep 3, 2007

  3. On 2007-09-03, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >> My friends computer since he has put on the new Norton anti virus has been
    >> the computer. What does this mean?

    > Dump Norton. Pronto.

    Greetings,

    I would tend to agree with you.

    To the OP:
    While Norton (IMHO) is very good at what it does (i.e. Virus and
    Firewall) it is also a memory pig. I would
    challenge you to have a look at the CPU usage with Norton running and
    without it running. Chances are you will see a rather significant
    difference. If you are looking for Firewall and Anti-Virus, there are
    plenty of free products out there which do just as good as Norton
    without leaving such a huge CPU footprint.

    On my windows box, I use MacAfee because it is a requirement for my work,
    but if you are not restricted, I would suggest

    For AV- AVG: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/28415/lng/us/tpl/v5
    For FW- Zone Alarm:
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,7228-page,1/description.html

    If you are behind a router, you may already have a hardware firewall and
    if this is the case, you most likely do not need a software firewall.
    Another alternative is to activate the windows firewall, although I
    would prefer to have at least one other software firewall active to
    backup the windows firewall.

    --
    What were you? A jock or a brain?" http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    "I was a ghost." PSK - RLU 452647
    Pseudo Silk Kimono, Sep 3, 2007
  4. > My friends computer since he has put on the new Norton anti virus has been
    > the computer.

    I had a similar problem with McAfee VirusScan. He should delete the
    Symantec junk and get a proper anti-virus software package.
    Alexander Rogge, Sep 3, 2007
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Plato Guest

    Pete wrote:

    > My friends computer since he has put on the new Norton anti virus has been
    > the computer. What does this mean?

    Norton either works well on some PCs or creates lots of problems on some
    PCs. I'd dich it and get a free anti-virus app.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Sep 3, 2007
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Plato Guest

    Alexander Rogge wrote:

    > > My friends computer since he has put on the new Norton anti virus has been
    > > the computer.

    > I had a similar problem with McAfee VirusScan. He should delete the
    > Symantec junk and get a proper anti-virus software package.

    Interestinly with McAfee on housecall/business appointmemts. McAfee
    didn't even stop ten year old boot sector virures from installin on PCs.
    I sort of lost my faith with McAfee then, but of course, boot sector
    viruses are NOT really an issue anymore...

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Sep 3, 2007
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Top Guest

    Pete wrote:

    > My friends computer since he has put on the new Norton anti virus has been
    > the computer. What does this mean?

    Friends don't let friends use Norton.

    Top
    Top, Sep 3, 2007
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    ded Guest

    "Pete" <> wrote in message
    > My friends computer since he has put on the new Norton anti virus has been
    > the computer. What does this mean?

    Do you mean the Taskbar or the system tray?
    What version of Nortons, is it 360?
    If so, it includes as well as Anti-virus, a firewall and their versions
    of spy and adware tools, these all load an icon each in the System
    tray at Windows start up. Your friend can just right click each and
    select "Properties" to learn what they are.
    If they are loading in the Task bar, the obvious is that something
    is trying to tell you it has found something amiss during start up, it's
    simple enough to click on it to see what it is reporting!

    Do not have two AV or Firewalls running, conflict will ensue.
    Ensure your friend has disabled Windows firewall.

    Norton software installs a configuration tool in Control Panel,
    you can disable certain components loading at Start-up, though
    that is inadviseable, if your friend does, he must remember to
    activate Firewall etc when connecting to the web.

    Norton 2006 was a notorious resource hogging version of their
    software, *supposedly* all cleaned up in later versions.
    Norton 360 is reported to be (at last) an efficient and effective
    all-in-one application, but I have no experiance of it.

    Symantec (Norton) have tutorials in the Help sector of their
    site, google it.
    ded, Sep 3, 2007
  9. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    G.J.Reitsma Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >> My friends computer since he has put on the new Norton anti virus has
    >> been loading a different number of programs in the task bar each time
    >> he starts the computer. What does this mean?

    > Dump Norton. Pronto.

    very good idea. And then dump Windows too.
    Gary.
    G.J.Reitsma, Sep 3, 2007
  10. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Gary Xen Guest

    ded wrote:
    > "Pete" <> wrote in message
    >> My friends computer since he has put on the new Norton anti virus has been
    >> the computer. What does this mean?
    >>

    > Do you mean the Taskbar or the system tray?
    > What version of Nortons, is it 360?
    > If so, it includes as well as Anti-virus, a firewall and their versions
    > of spy and adware tools, these all load an icon each in the System
    > tray at Windows start up. Your friend can just right click each and
    > select "Properties" to learn what they are.
    > If they are loading in the Task bar, the obvious is that something
    > is trying to tell you it has found something amiss during start up, it's
    > simple enough to click on it to see what it is reporting!
    >
    > Do not have two AV or Firewalls running, conflict will ensue.
    > Ensure your friend has disabled Windows firewall.
    >
    > Norton software installs a configuration tool in Control Panel,
    > you can disable certain components loading at Start-up, though
    > that is inadviseable, if your friend does, he must remember to
    > activate Firewall etc when connecting to the web.
    >
    > Norton 2006 was a notorious resource hogging version of their
    > software, *supposedly* all cleaned up in later versions.
    > Norton 360 is reported to be (at last) an efficient and effective
    > all-in-one application, but I have no experiance of it.
    >
    > Symantec (Norton) have tutorials in the Help sector of their
    > site, google it.

    It is unbelieveble how many hours of impatience and sadness
    Windows gives people. Do it from your machine.
    It's hell.

    Gary Xen.
    Gary Xen, Sep 3, 2007