Startup problem..

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Moody Marco, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. Moody Marco

    Moody Marco Guest

    Hi

    My mate just phoned me with a problem that has him baffled - he shutdown his
    PC (properly) about 30 mins ago, and all was ok. He went to turn it on a
    minute ago and he got a message about "Windows had a problem, this may be
    related to a recent hardware or software change" and options to start in
    Safe Mode, Safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration,
    start windows normally, etc. I told him to try Start Windows normally, and
    he got a black screen for ages, indefinetely. He turned off and back on,
    got same message, and tried Safe Mode. Got a list of white writing on
    screen about loading this that and the other drivers, and it got stuck after
    saying ...\system32\nup.sys. It got stuck here for ages. He turned off
    again, then tried SM with command prompt. Same problem - stuck after it
    said ...\system32\nup.sys.

    I went off the phone and told him I'd search Google for nup.sys, but he
    phoned back 2 mins ago and said he tried again and chose Safe Mode, and it
    stayed on nup.sys for a minute then booted into safe mode. He restarted,
    and Windows booted normally, perfectly.

    A full up to date Norton AV scan showed nothing.

    Any ideas?

    Windows XP Pro
    Athlon 1.04 Ghz
    768MB RAM
    (Custom built PC)

    Cheers in advance!

    Moody Marco, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Moody Marco

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Moody Marco" <> wrote in news:2ih56mFmtigtU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > Any ideas?

    No ideas on the problem (as your description tells nothing in terms of the
    cause), however you would have better luck searching for "mup.sys", as that
    is the name of the file it would have been stuck on. There is no nup.sys.

    Jim Berwick, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Moody Marco

    Boomer Guest

    "Moody Marco" <> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > My mate just phoned me with a problem that has him baffled - he
    > shutdown his PC (properly) about 30 mins ago, and all was ok.
    > He went to turn it on a minute ago and he got a message about
    > "Windows had a problem, this may be related to a recent hardware
    > or software change" and options to start in Safe Mode, Safe mode
    > with command prompt, last known good configuration, start
    > windows normally, etc. I told him to try Start Windows
    > normally, and he got a black screen for ages, indefinetely. He
    > turned off and back on, got same message, and tried Safe Mode.
    > Got a list of white writing on screen about loading this that
    > and the other drivers, and it got stuck after saying
    > ...\system32\nup.sys. It got stuck here for ages. He turned
    > off again, then tried SM with command prompt. Same problem -
    > stuck after it said ...\system32\nup.sys.
    >
    > I went off the phone and told him I'd search Google for nup.sys,
    > but he phoned back 2 mins ago and said he tried again and chose
    > Safe Mode, and it stayed on nup.sys for a minute then booted
    > into safe mode. He restarted, and Windows booted normally,
    > perfectly.
    >
    > A full up to date Norton AV scan showed nothing.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Windows XP Pro
    > Athlon 1.04 Ghz
    > 768MB RAM
    > (Custom built PC)
    >
    > Cheers in advance!

    Maybe..

    Install, immediately update and run, at least, the first four.

    Ad-aware Aims at Adware/Spyware.
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    SpybotS&D Aims for the dialers, trojans,
    hijackers and security/privacy issues.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Spyware Blaster

    CoolWebShredder

    HijackThis
    http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
    Install and run, then post the log to "HijackThis Logs"
    at http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php.

    http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

    Info on above and more.
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://www.netrn.net/spywareblog/

    Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
    http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm

    ~ Spyware Information ~
    http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

    ~Unsolicited commercial software list and info~
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

    ~Other software~
    http://www.wilders.org/

    Newsgroups: alt.privacy.spyware
    alt.comp.anti-virus

    Also serach Google and Googles archive for more information.

    Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
    http://www.symantec.com/homecomputing/library/topten.html

    Boomer, Jun 6, 2004
  4. Moody Marco wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > My mate just phoned me with a problem that has him baffled - he shutdown his
    > PC (properly) about 30 mins ago, and all was ok. He went to turn it on a
    > minute ago and he got a message about "Windows had a problem, this may be
    > related to a recent hardware or software change" and options to start in
    > Safe Mode, Safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration,
    > start windows normally, etc. I told him to try Start Windows normally, and
    > he got a black screen for ages, indefinetely. He turned off and back on,
    > got same message, and tried Safe Mode. Got a list of white writing on
    > screen about loading this that and the other drivers, and it got stuck after
    > saying ...\system32\nup.sys. It got stuck here for ages. He turned off
    > again, then tried SM with command prompt. Same problem - stuck after it
    > said ...\system32\nup.sys.
    >
    > I went off the phone and told him I'd search Google for nup.sys, but he
    > phoned back 2 mins ago and said he tried again and chose Safe Mode, and it
    > stayed on nup.sys for a minute then booted into safe mode. He restarted,
    > and Windows booted normally, perfectly.
    >
    > A full up to date Norton AV scan showed nothing.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Windows XP Pro
    > Athlon 1.04 Ghz
    > 768MB RAM
    > (Custom built PC)
    >
    > Cheers in advance!

    Dear Sir...Can you ask your friend if he has Downloaded all of the
    service packs for Win XP...
    Joe

    Joseph C. Lightowler, Jun 6, 2004
  5. Moody Marco

    Dominic Guest

    Boomer wrote:
    > "Moody Marco" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> My mate just phoned me with a problem that has him baffled - he
    >> shutdown his PC (properly) about 30 mins ago, and all was ok.
    >> He went to turn it on a minute ago and he got a message about
    >> "Windows had a problem, this may be related to a recent hardware
    >> or software change" and options to start in Safe Mode, Safe mode

    <snip>

    >> Any ideas?

    > Maybe..
    >
    > Install, immediately update and run, at least, the first four.
    >
    > Ad-aware Aims at Adware/Spyware.
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    "Install spyware removal software" is becoming the new "shutdown and
    restart". The incidence rate of spyware-related problems seems to be
    increasing more rapidly than ever.

    Dominic, Jun 6, 2004