    supply.

    Any thoughts,
    TIA - Steve

    spy, Dec 20, 2003

  2. spy

    Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:20:27 GMT, daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote:

    >Hello Everyone, I am helping my brother-in-law build his first
    >computer and we have come across a major problem. The system will
    >boot, but not for very long. We have removed all hardware except MOB,
    >CPU, Memory, Power Supply and PCI Video Card. When we turn on the
    >system we hear one beep (I believe this is the normal startup beeb)
    >and the Soyo Logo appears, several times we have made it to the BIOS
    >setup.

    If your monitor is shutting down while you are in setup it sounds like
    a hardware problem like the monitor is plugged into the power supply
    and overloading it or something? Usually software and firmware
    problems don't occur till after you exit setup. Can you try a
    different monitor unplug amplified speakers etc?

    >Then after a short time the monitor shuts down (I believe it's
    >in power down or sleep mode), we have tried 2 different monitors. If
    >we reset the system it shuts down faster, like something is
    >overheating. The system does not shut down or give any error beeps,
    >just the monitor. We also notice a sound from the speaker, plus a
    >blinking in the lights on the fans. We also tried starting the
    >system with out any fans except the CPU fan and are using a 400w power
    >supply.
    >
    >Any thoughts,
    >TIA - Steve

    , Dec 20, 2003

  3. spy

    spy Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 02:04:00 GMT, wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:20:27 GMT, daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote:
    >
    >>Hello Everyone, I am helping my brother-in-law build his first
    >>computer and we have come across a major problem. The system will
    >>boot, but not for very long. We have removed all hardware except MOB,
    >>CPU, Memory, Power Supply and PCI Video Card. When we turn on the
    >>system we hear one beep (I believe this is the normal startup beeb)
    >>and the Soyo Logo appears, several times we have made it to the BIOS
    >>setup.

    >If your monitor is shutting down while you are in setup it sounds like
    >a hardware problem like the monitor is plugged into the power supply
    >and overloading it or something? Usually software and firmware
    >problems don't occur till after you exit setup. Can you try a
    >different monitor unplug amplified speakers etc?

    Does this with 2 different monitors. Can the monitor overload the
    power supply? We figure something his overloading or over heating,
    but don't know what.

    spy, Dec 20, 2003
  4. spy

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:20:27 GMT, daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote:

    >Hello Everyone, I am helping my brother-in-law build his first
    >computer and we have come across a major problem. The system will
    >boot, but not for very long. We have removed all hardware except MOB,
    >CPU, Memory, Power Supply and PCI Video Card. When we turn on the
    >system we hear one beep (I believe this is the normal startup beeb)
    >and the Soyo Logo appears, several times we have made it to the BIOS
    >setup. Then after a short time the monitor shuts down (I believe it's
    >in power down or sleep mode),

    Change that...in the BIOS. Double check ALL the settings while yer
    there.

    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Dec 20, 2003
  5. spy

    Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 02:35:18 GMT, daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 02:04:00 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:20:27 GMT, daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello Everyone, I am helping my brother-in-law build his first
    >>>computer and we have come across a major problem. The system will
    >>>boot, but not for very long. We have removed all hardware except MOB,
    >>>CPU, Memory, Power Supply and PCI Video Card. When we turn on the
    >>>system we hear one beep (I believe this is the normal startup beeb)
    >>>and the Soyo Logo appears, several times we have made it to the BIOS
    >>>setup.

    >>If your monitor is shutting down while you are in setup it sounds like
    >>a hardware problem like the monitor is plugged into the power supply
    >>and overloading it or something? Usually software and firmware
    >>problems don't occur till after you exit setup. Can you try a
    >>different monitor unplug amplified speakers etc?

    >Does this with 2 different monitors. Can the monitor overload the
    >power supply? We figure something his overloading or over heating,
    >but don't know what.
    >

    >>>Then after a short time the monitor shuts down (I believe it's
    >>>in power down or sleep mode), we have tried 2 different monitors. If
    >>>we reset the system it shuts down faster, like something is
    >>>overheating. The system does not shut down or give any error beeps,
    >>>just the monitor. We also notice a sound from the speaker, plus a
    >>>blinking in the lights on the fans. We also tried starting the
    >>>system with out any fans except the CPU fan and are using a 400w power
    >>>supply.
    >>>
    >>>Any thoughts,
    >>>TIA - Steve

    Some power supplies come with built in outlets that could be faulty or
    overloaded. If you have plugged into the wall socket there should not
    be a problem.

    Quickly finding the power saver option in the BIOS settings as Trent
    mentioned and disabling it then saving the bios settings may help.
    Also taking the default BIOS settings and saving sometimes often fixes
    funkt BIOS problems. The fact that your system is powering down while
    you are in the BIOS settup is pretty strange.

    , Dec 20, 2003
  6. spy

    Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:20:27 GMT, daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote:

    >Hello Everyone, I am helping my brother-in-law build his first
    >computer and we have come across a major problem. The system will
    >boot, but not for very long. We have removed all hardware except MOB,
    >CPU, Memory, Power Supply and PCI Video Card. When we turn on the
    >system we hear one beep (I believe this is the normal startup beeb)
    >and the Soyo Logo appears, several times we have made it to the BIOS
    >setup. Then after a short time the monitor shuts down (I believe it's
    >in power down or sleep mode), we have tried 2 different monitors. If
    >we reset the system it shuts down faster, like something is
    >overheating. The system does not shut down or give any error beeps,
    >just the monitor. We also notice a sound from the speaker, plus a
    >blinking in the lights on the fans. We also tried starting the
    >system with out any fans except the CPU fan and are using a 400w power
    >supply.
    >
    >Any thoughts,
    >TIA - Steve

    I have noticed that LCD monitors don't like high refresh rates. May
    help. Probably not.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Dec 20, 2003
  7. spy

    spy Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 04:39:22 GMT, wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 02:35:18 GMT, daults(spy)@comcsat.net wrote:

    >>>If your monitor is shutting down while you are in setup it sounds like
    >>>a hardware problem like the monitor is plugged into the power supply
    >>>and overloading it or something? Usually software and firmware
    >>>problems don't occur till after you exit setup. Can you try a
    >>>different monitor unplug amplified speakers etc?

    >>Does this with 2 different monitors. Can the monitor overload the
    >>power supply? We figure something his overloading or over heating,
    >>but don't know what.

    >Some power supplies come with built in outlets that could be faulty or
    >overloaded. If you have plugged into the wall socket there should not
    >be a problem.
    >
    >Quickly finding the power saver option in the BIOS settings as Trent
    >mentioned and disabling it then saving the bios settings may help.
    >Also taking the default BIOS settings and saving sometimes often fixes
    >funkt BIOS problems. The fact that your system is powering down while
    >you are in the BIOS settup is pretty strange.

    Yes very strange. It's almost like something is overheating and then
    shutting down the power to the video card. The monitor acts like it's
    not connected to the card.

    spy, Dec 20, 2003