startup application question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Frank Thompson, Apr 19, 2010.

  1. On Windows 7 how do I prevent Windows Live Messenger from
    automatically starting up when the machine boots up? I have removed
    it from the Start Menu and the Startup Folder is empty, but it still
    opens on booting up.
     
    Frank Thompson, Apr 19, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Frank Thompson

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 06:47:43 -0700, Frank Thompson wrote:

    > On Windows 7 how do I prevent Windows Live Messenger from automatically
    > starting up when the machine boots up? I have removed it from the Start
    > Menu and the Startup Folder is empty, but it still opens on booting up.


    You could either format your hard drive and install Linux or go into the
    settings of WLM and untick the box that says start when Window$ starts.



    --
    Top posting because your cursor happens to be there is like shitting in
    your pants because that's where your asshole happens to be.
     
    Aardvark, Apr 19, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Frank Thompson

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:59:48 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 06:47:43 -0700 (PDT), Frank Thompson
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >>On Windows 7 how do I prevent Windows Live Messenger from automatically
    >>starting up when the machine boots up? I have removed it from the Start
    >>Menu and the Startup Folder is empty, but it still opens on booting up.

    >
    > Log into messenger and choose in General Options to unselect startup
    > with Windows?


    DUH-ane didn't seem to be impressed with that solution when I suggested
    it. Maybe it's not the correct one. DUH-ane *must* be right, being a super-
    duper expert 'n stuff.



    --
    Top posting because your cursor happens to be there is like shitting in
    your pants because that's where your asshole happens to be.
     
    Aardvark, Apr 19, 2010
    #3
  4. Frank Thompson

    Gordon Guest

    On 19/04/2010 14:50, Aardvark wrote:

    >
    > You could either format your hard drive and install Linux or go into the
    > settings of WLM and untick the box that says start when Window$ starts.
    >
    >
    >


    ROTFL!
     
    Gordon, Apr 19, 2010
    #4
  5. Frank Thompson

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:16:18 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 14:03:52 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:59:48 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 06:47:43 -0700 (PDT), Frank Thompson
    >>> <>wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>On Windows 7 how do I prevent Windows Live Messenger from
    >>>>automatically starting up when the machine boots up? I have removed
    >>>>it from the Start Menu and the Startup Folder is empty, but it still
    >>>>opens on booting up.
    >>>
    >>> Log into messenger and choose in General Options to unselect startup
    >>> with Windows?

    >>
    >>DUH-ane didn't seem to be impressed with that solution when I suggested
    >>it. Maybe it's not the correct one. DUH-ane *must* be right, being a
    >>super- duper expert 'n stuff.

    >
    > That's what I did when I used it. Same for Yahoo messenger.


    Yabbut DUH-ane said "pfft" when I suggested it. Maybe we're both wrong,
    Meat.

    Waddya think?



    --
    Top posting because your cursor happens to be there is like shitting in
    your pants because that's where your asshole happens to be.
     
    Aardvark, Apr 19, 2010
    #5
  6. Frank Thompson

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:27:13 -0400, Lookout wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:59:48 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 06:47:43 -0700 (PDT), Frank Thompson
    >>> <>wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Windows 7 how do I prevent Windows Live Messenger from
    >>>> automatically starting up when the machine boots up? I have removed
    >>>> it from the Start Menu and the Startup Folder is empty, but it still
    >>>> opens on booting up.
    >>> Log into messenger and choose in General Options to unselect startup
    >>> with Windows?

    >>
    >> DUH-ane didn't seem to be impressed with that solution when I suggested
    >> it. Maybe it's not the correct one. DUH-ane *must* be right, being a
    >> super- duper expert 'n stuff.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > Yeah, I have been doing it since 1971 in IT, I have seen it all over the
    > years, I am still going strong in IT making that big $$$$$$, and I have
    > forgotten more about computers than you'll ever know in your lifetime
    > playing with it.


    So are you saying my proposed solution to the OP's question was incorrect,
    DUH-ane, oh great expert 'n stuff?



    --
    Top posting because your cursor happens to be there is like shitting in
    your pants because that's where your asshole happens to be.
     
    Aardvark, Apr 19, 2010
    #6
  7. Frank Thompson

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:35:40 -0400, DUH-ane wrote:


    >> So are you saying my proposed solution to the OP's question was
    >> incorrect, DUH-ane, oh great expert 'n stuff?
    >>
    >>

    > I am just yanking your chain on GP.


    Grand Prix, DUH-ane? You a Lewis Hamilton fan or something?

    > But I didn't like that Linux part
    > stop peddling it it's low-class.


    Coming from a crackpot like you, DUH-ane, that's the best recommendation
    anyone could read to encourage them to switch to Linux.

    > The OP has Win 7 and there is nothing
    > you can do about it.


    I can encourage him to get rid of it and install a better OS.

    --
    Top posting because your cursor happens to be there is like shitting in
    your pants because that's where your asshole happens to be.
     
    Aardvark, Apr 19, 2010
    #7
  8. Frank Thompson

    chuckcar Guest

    Frank Thompson <> wrote in
    news::

    > On Windows 7 how do I prevent Windows Live Messenger from
    > automatically starting up when the machine boots up? I have removed
    > it from the Start Menu and the Startup Folder is empty, but it still
    > opens on booting up.


    Uninstall it. It's junk anyways.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
     
    chuckcar, Apr 19, 2010
    #8
  9. Frank Thompson

    chuckcar Guest

    "§nühw¤£f" <> wrote in
    news:Xns9D5F57948316Fsnuhwolfyahoocom@216.196.97.142:

    > Grinder <> clouded the waters of pure
    > thought with news::
    >
    >> On 4/19/2010 8:47 AM, Frank Thompson wrote:
    >>> On Windows 7 how do I prevent Windows Live Messenger from
    >>> automatically starting up when the machine boots up? I have
    >>> removed it from the Start Menu and the Startup Folder is empty,
    >>> but it still opens on booting up.

    >>
    >> There used to be an option within Live Messenger itself, but it
    >> might be kind of hard to find now that the menu bar is hidden.
    >> Right-click the interface and show the menu bar, then look for a
    >> preferences item on those menus.
    >>
    >>

    > Ahem...you might want to change yer nym, mate.
    >
    > http://www.homorazzi.com/article/grindr-gay-iphone-app-find-men-
    > hookups-dating-hot-men/
    >

    Someone's been watching Top Gear...



    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
     
    chuckcar, Apr 19, 2010
    #9
  10. Frank Thompson

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:08:25 -0400, Lookout wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >>> The OP has Win 7 and there is nothing you can do about it.

    >>
    >> I can encourage him to get rid of it and install a better OS.
    >>
    >>

    > You might as well go sell Linux magazines door-2-door.


    Why would I want to do that, DUH-ane?

    > You have a better
    > chance of pushing Linux.


    You want to do that, DUH-ane, go ahead.

    > It's a Linux lunatic user's move that you think
    > that you can influence anyone is this area.


    I've convinced a number of people of the many benefits of dropping M$
    products and going OSS, DUH-ane.

    > You're just another Madd Max
    > 7.


    Nah. He's a fucking crackpot, just like you, DUH-ane.



    --
    Top posting because your cursor happens to be there is like shitting in
    your pants because that's where your asshole happens to be.
     
    Aardvark, Apr 19, 2010
    #10
  11. Frank Thompson

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:02:04 -0400, DUH-ane wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >>
    >> I've convinced a number of people of the many benefits of dropping M$
    >> products and going OSS, DUH-ane.
    >>
    >>

    > I don't believe you.


    Whether or not you believe me doesn't change facts, DUH-ane.

    > You couldn't convince an ant to do anything.


    Wouldn't want to, DUH-ane, but when *people* have the advantages of OSS
    pointed out to them and actually demonstrated, convincing them to change
    is easy.



    --
    Top posting because your cursor happens to be there is like shitting in
    your pants because that's where your asshole happens to be.
     
    Aardvark, Apr 19, 2010
    #11
  12. Frank Thompson

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:31:28 -0400, DUH-ane wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:58:33 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Uninstall it. It's junk anyways.

    >>
    >> If you don't know how to answer the question, don't answer at all.
    >>
    >> Although I would have thought a question which involves disabling items
    >> in the startup would be right up your alley.
    >>
    >> Oh, wait, you only know how to disable ALL items in the startup.
    >>
    >> Sorry, my bad. Carry on.

    >
    > He's a Linux user that can't do anything I think, a dork.


    Chuckie certainly isn't a Linux user, DUH-ane. He knows even less about it
    than you do, and just like you he pretends he knows more. Just like you
    do, DUH-ane, you asstroturfer, you.



    --
    Top posting because your cursor happens to be there is like shitting in
    your pants because that's where your asshole happens to be.
     
    Aardvark, Apr 19, 2010
    #12
  13. Frank Thompson

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:27:27 -0400, Lookout wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:02:04 -0400, DUH-ane wrote:
    >>
    >>> Aardvark wrote:
    >>>> I've convinced a number of people of the many benefits of dropping M$
    >>>> products and going OSS, DUH-ane.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> I don't believe you.

    >>
    >> Whether or not you believe me doesn't change facts, DUH-ane.

    >
    > You don't have any facts to speak of show some proof that you did
    > anything, a written and certified letter. Otherwise, it's just hearsay,
    > and it don't count.


    Whether or not you believe me doesn't change facts, DUH-ane.

    >>
    >>> You couldn't convince an ant to do anything.

    >>
    >> Wouldn't want to, DUH-ane, but when *people* have the advantages of OSS
    >> pointed out to them and actually demonstrated, convincing them to
    >> change is easy.

    >
    > Yeah, I bet each of them were broke like you,


    LOL. Yeah. Right.

    > looking to save a penny or
    > two.


    How much does Windoze 7 cost, DUH-ane? How much does M$ Office cost, DUH-
    ane? How much does malware on your precious Windoze systems cost its
    users, DUH-ane? I could go on, DUH-ane, but I'm sure you catch my drift-
    it certainly isn't 'a penny or two'.

    > When you got money, Linux is a last choice almost no choice.


    Funny, it's my first choice. Has been for at least three years, DUH-ane.



    --
    Top posting because your cursor happens to be there is like shitting in
    your pants because that's where your asshole happens to be.
     
    Aardvark, Apr 19, 2010
    #13
  14. Frank Thompson

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 14:09:59 -0400, Lookout wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >>
    >> How much does Windoze 7 cost, DUH-ane?

    >
    > You can get a laptop with Win 7 for $249 at the Sam's club, wireless the
    > whole nine yards.
    >


    How much does Windoze 7 cost, DUH-ane?

    > How much does M$ Office cost, DUH-
    > ane?
    >
    > MS is giving it away to keep pace with OO.
    >


    LOL not quite, DUH-ane:

    "The cheapest version of Office 2010 will be free, but only when pre-
    installed on a new PC from selected PC manufacturers."

    And even that isn't the full version, DUH-ane. The next cheapest costs
    £89.99.

    Anyone can download and install OOo (the full thing) at any time for a
    total price of zero, DUH-ane.

    > <http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2009/07/13/microsoft-office-to-go-online-
    > for-free/>
    > <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/feb/17/microsoft-ofice-2010-
    > uk-free>
    >
    >
    >> How much does malware on your precious Windoze systems cost its users,
    >> DUH-ane?

    >
    > Yeah, the only thing Linux has going for it is its security by oblivion
    > status, as the masses are not using it.
    >
    >


    LOL you go on believing that, DUH-ane. 'Security by oblivion'- is that one
    of your M$ asstroturfer phrases, DUH-ane?

    >> I could go on, DUH-ane, but I'm sure you catch my drift- it certainly
    >> isn't 'a penny or two'.

    >
    > I am sure you catch my drift. When you're broke, you'll start using
    > freetard Linux.
    >
    >


    How many servers run on Linux, DUH-ane? Are the corporations who run it
    'broke' DUH-ane?

    >>> When you got money, Linux is a last choice almost no choice.

    >>
    >> Funny, it's my first choice. Has been for at least three years,
    >> DUH-ane.

    >
    > You got real money?


    Every coin and every banknote has the Queen's head on it, DUH-ane, so I'd
    callit real.

    > You got money in the bank?


    You're a nosy fucker, aren't you DUH-ane?

    > You got money in a 401K?
    >


    Wouldn't know a 401k if it fell on my head from a great height. Is it some
    kind of private aircraft, DUH-ane?

    No, I don't have a private aircraft, DUH-ane.

    > I bet if you miss one payment on anything it's all gone quickly, and
    > you're just one paycheck away from the streets. :)


    Don't worry about me, DUH-ane. I'll never be on the streets. Unless I
    choose to be. How likely do you think that is, DUH-ane?



    --
    Top posting because your cursor happens to be there is like shitting in
    your pants because that's where your asshole happens to be.
     
    Aardvark, Apr 19, 2010
    #14
  15. Frank Thompson

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:05:08 -0400, DUH-ane wrote:

    > SNIP


    No more replies while you're not using your own nym, DUH-ane.


    --
    Top posting because your cursor happens to be there is like shitting in
    your pants because that's where your asshole happens to be.
     
    Aardvark, Apr 19, 2010
    #15
  16. Frank Thompson

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Start\Run\Services.msc\WLM and set it to manual from automatic

    --
    Peter

    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

    "Frank Thompson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Windows 7 how do I prevent Windows Live Messenger from
    > automatically starting up when the machine boots up? I have removed
    > it from the Start Menu and the Startup Folder is empty, but it still
    > opens on booting up.
     
    Peter Foldes, Apr 19, 2010
    #16
  17. Frank Thompson

    §nühw0£f Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:58:41 +0000 (UTC)
    chuckcar <> wrote:

    > "§nühw¤£f" <> wrote in
    > news:Xns9D5F57948316Fsnuhwolfyahoocom@216.196.97.142:
    >
    > > Grinder <> clouded the waters of pure
    > > thought with news::
    > >
    > >> On 4/19/2010 8:47 AM, Frank Thompson wrote:
    > >>> On Windows 7 how do I prevent Windows Live Messenger from
    > >>> automatically starting up when the machine boots up? I have
    > >>> removed it from the Start Menu and the Startup Folder is empty,
    > >>> but it still opens on booting up.
    > >>
    > >> There used to be an option within Live Messenger itself, but it
    > >> might be kind of hard to find now that the menu bar is hidden.
    > >> Right-click the interface and show the menu bar, then look for a
    > >> preferences item on those menus.
    > >>
    > >>

    > > Ahem...you might want to change yer nym, mate.
    > >
    > > http://www.homorazzi.com/article/grindr-gay-iphone-app-find-men-
    > > hookups-dating-hot-men/
    > >

    > Someone's been watching Top Gear...
    >

    Naw, I saw it on Chelsey LAtely...

    --

    http://www.skepticalscience.com/
    cageprisoners.com|www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.eyeonpalin.org
    _____ ____ ____ __ /\_/\ __ _ ______ _____
    / __/ |/ / / / / // // . . \\ \ |\ | / __ \ \ \ __\
    _\ \/ / /_/ / _ / \ / \ \| \| \ \_\ \ \__\ _\
    /___/_/|_/\____/_//_/ \_@_/ \__|\__|\____/\____\_\
     
    §nühw0£f, Apr 19, 2010
    #17
  18. Frank Thompson

    §nühw0£f Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:47:32 -0400
    Lookout <> wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    > > On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:31:28 -0400, Lookout <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> He's a Linux user that can't do anything I think, a dork.

    > >
    > > I'm slowly turning into a Linux (FC12) user too. But he's quite
    > > capable of doing quite a few things. Formatting your hard drive,
    > > resetting your BIOS, scanning for malware, disabling your startup,
    > > etc.

    >
    > I don't think I'll ever have a use for Linux. It's never going to put
    > any money in my pockets like MS can do or has done over the years.
    >
    > My hopes are to still be a MS based contract programmer well into my
    > retirement years doing it part time, as long as I keep technically
    > proficient and on the bleeding edge of the technology I should still
    > be able to get contracts.


    Really? You're shilling for Micro$oft?

    I bet Billy G wishes you *wouldn't*, you twisted little freak.

    If people start associating M$ approved programs as coming from a
    complete fucking lunatic such as you, they'll ditch the OS.

    Way to cost M$ some money, knobjob.

    ^_^

    --

    http://www.skepticalscience.com/
    cageprisoners.com|www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.eyeonpalin.org
    _____ ____ ____ __ /\_/\ __ _ ______ _____
    / __/ |/ / / / / // // . . \\ \ |\ | / __ \ \ \ __\
    _\ \/ / /_/ / _ / \ / \ \| \| \ \_\ \ \__\ _\
    /___/_/|_/\____/_//_/ \_@_/ \__|\__|\____/\____\_\
     
    §nühw0£f, Apr 19, 2010
    #18
  19. Frank Thompson

    chuckcar Guest

    Aardvark <> wrote in
    news:hqi4kr$nc9$-september.org:

    > On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:31:28 -0400, DUH-ane wrote:
    >
    >> Evan Platt wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:58:33 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Uninstall it. It's junk anyways.
    >>>
    >>> If you don't know how to answer the question, don't answer at all.
    >>>
    >>> Although I would have thought a question which involves disabling
    >>> items in the startup would be right up your alley.
    >>>
    >>> Oh, wait, you only know how to disable ALL items in the startup.
    >>>
    >>> Sorry, my bad. Carry on.

    >>
    >> He's a Linux user that can't do anything I think, a dork.

    >
    > Chuckie certainly isn't a Linux user, DUH-ane. He knows even less
    > about it than you do, and just like you he pretends he knows more.
    > Just like you do, DUH-ane, you asstroturfer, you.
    >

    Nonsence. I've been using linux since 94. *And* I compile my own code
    along with OS upgrades before I install them. All from source code.

    Linux did proper process threading long before *any* Microsoft OS did.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
     
    chuckcar, Apr 20, 2010
    #19
  20. Frank Thompson

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in
    news::

    > On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 23:13:47 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Nonsence. I've been using linux since 94. *And* I compile my own code
    >>along with OS upgrades before I install them. All from source code.

    >
    > Right. Based on your complete incompetence on everything else you say
    > here, I really doubt it.


    That means a lot from someone who doesn't even know what make or
    autoconf does.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
     
    chuckcar, Apr 20, 2010
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Gerard
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,029
    Gerard
    Jan 2, 2005
  2. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    584
  3. Eva
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    328
    Tony Sperling
    Sep 6, 2005
  4. Richard
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    9,346
    98245137S
    Oct 9, 2009
  5. arameshmca
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,269
    ProgTalk
    Feb 7, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page