    actual scientific theory behind this by some real scientist named DYSON or
    is this complete fiction?

    Hugh

    F Sutherland, Sep 12, 2005

  2. F Sutherland

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:41:41 -0400, "F Sutherland" <fsutherland@??sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Alot of time in a SCI FI TV show they will not always make up the science
    >fiction. Sometimes they use real worl things then fantasize them out. I
    >was watching an episode of STAR TREK TNG dealing with A DYSON SPHERE (an
    >artificial work that has a sun on the inside). I was wondering if there was
    >actual scientific theory behind this by some real scientist named DYSON or
    >is this complete fiction?
    >
    >Hugh

    Dyson Sphere FAQ
    http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/dysonFAQ.html

    Several Science Fiction writers have written stories about a Dyson Sphere.
    Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, and Steven Barnes to name a few. They also
    wrote a series of stories about a Ring World.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0345333926/002-5623428-2053624?v=glance

    Unk, Sep 13, 2005

  3. F Sutherland

    Render Me Guest

    try AVG.

    Render Me, Sep 13, 2005
  4. F Sutherland

    Mitch Guest

    In article <5unVe.1458$>, F Sutherland
    <fsutherland@??sympatico.ca> wrote:

    > Alot of time in a SCI FI TV show they will not always make up the science
    > fiction. Sometimes they use real worl things then fantasize them out. I
    > was watching an episode of STAR TREK TNG dealing with A DYSON SPHERE (an
    > artificial work that has a sun on the inside). I was wondering if there was
    > actual scientific theory behind this by some real scientist named DYSON or
    > is this complete fiction?
    >
    > Hugh

    Freeman Dyson supposed this object.
    It's nonsense in the sense that you have to unbuild your own world in
    order to make it.
    Psychologically, most cultures would go through mass genocide rather
    than lose the sky, nighttime, and total reliance on the structure for
    everything.

    There's another one you might find interesting; Larry Niven and Jerry
    Pournelle wrote about (if not actually developed) a corollary concept
    of a Ring built in the same way, where a giant Hot Wheels track spun
    around the sun.

    These are ideas built around the idea of expanding population. They are
    nonsense. They certainly might work, with some really amazing physics
    and materials development, but why go to this kind of work instead of
    simply going to another planet?

    Mitch, Sep 13, 2005