starting with color calibration...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Volker Hetzer, Jul 13, 2006.

  1. Hi!
    Recently I've figured that quite often, when spending time
    with a few friends, I'm the one that takes the pictures for
    everybody. Simple things, like hiking in the mountains,
    barbecueing, my own holidays (for myself) and such.
    Unfortunately, when comparing images, printed by different
    print services, there are big differences in color and even
    sharpness.
    So, I think I'm going to need to compensate for those
    differences.
    What do I have to do?

    I'm taking raw pictures with a coolpix 8400, will hopefully
    process them in capture nx and send them off as jpg's.
    I try to avoid photoshop (I hate the gui, it's expensive
    and raw support is limited to reading it) but am willing to
    invest a similar amount of money in calibration.

    I've had a short look at gretagmacbeth eye-one photo which
    looks like what I need but it's not really cheap either.

    Also I don't want to really /change/ the colors (to make
    them more pleasing than the original motive) but I'd like
    to compensate for the photo printer. I will use it on a
    laptop so most of the stuff will have to be automatic without
    trying to fix the look of the print based on what I see on
    the monitor.

    Any ideas?

    Lots of Greetings!
    Volker
    --
    For email replies, please substitute the obvious.

    Volker Hetzer, Jul 13, 2006

  2. Charles Schuler, Jul 13, 2006

  3. Volker Hetzer

    bmoag Guest

    The new NX can be an all purpose imaging program if all you want to do is
    institute global changes in an image. I kind of like the download and will
    probably buy it but it is not a replacement for Photoshop.
    The new NX has color management in terms of maintaining a color space from
    camera through image processing.
    Alas, if you want fine control over the printing aspect of color management
    you will still need an Adobe program for best results.
    If all you are going to use is the new NX I would not spend a fortune on a
    monitor calibration device: the Spyder 2 or Huey are adequate for your
    purposes.

    bmoag, Jul 14, 2006
  4. Volker Hetzer, Jul 15, 2006
  5. bmoag wrote:
    > If all you are going to use is the new NX I would not spend a fortune on a
    > monitor calibration device: the Spyder 2 or Huey are adequate for your
    > purposes.

    Thanks a lot. However, I'll read upa bit more before I go spending money.
    Lots of Gretings!
    Volker
    --
    For email replies, please substitute the obvious.

    Volker Hetzer, Jul 15, 2006