    it without having to take it to the repairman.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Marie-Jeanne
    Lethal, Feb 4, 2006

  2. Lethal

    p-nut Guest

    Lethal wrote:
    > Could anyone please help me. I have a Pentium 4, 3 Gz, 512 Ram with
    > 80 Gb hard drive ( 68 Gb free ). For the last few morning when I turn
    > the computer on, it will not load Windows unless I reboot.
    > Is there a bad problem with my computer? and if so, what could I do
    > to fix it without having to take it to the repairman.
    > Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
    > Marie-Jeanne

    Where is it halting, What screen?
    p-nut, Feb 4, 2006

  3. Lethal

    Lethal Guest

    The tower comes on, I get a flash on the screen, then it goes back to black
    screen until I reboot.
    ( By the way, I forgot to say that I have Windows XP Home Edition with
    Service pack 2.)
    Thanks.
    MJ

    Lethal, Feb 4, 2006
  4. Lethal

    p-nut Guest

    Lethal wrote:
    > The tower comes on, I get a flash on the screen, then it goes back to
    > black screen until I reboot.
    > ( By the way, I forgot to say that I have Windows XP Home Edition with
    > Service pack 2.)
    > Thanks.
    > MJ

    When you say "it will not load Windows unless I reboot", does that mean you
    are hitting your "restart" button on your tower or you power it off and back
    on using the power button.
    p-nut, Feb 4, 2006
  5. Lethal

    Lethal Guest

    Thanks "p-nut" What I mean is that I have to "reboot",( press on the little
    button under the "restart"button of the tower).
    I do not have to power it off, the tower is always on which mean that I do
    not have to "restart" .
    As soon as I "reboot" the Windows screen comes on and all is well, but I am
    worried that maybe something is very wrong with my computer it will crash
    on me and I will loose all my stuff.
    MJ

    Lethal, Feb 4, 2006
  6. Lethal

    p-nut Guest

    Lethal wrote:
    > Thanks "p-nut" What I mean is that I have to "reboot",( press on the
    > little button under the "restart"button of the tower).
    > I do not have to power it off, the tower is always on which mean that
    > I do not have to "restart" .
    > As soon as I "reboot" the Windows screen comes on and all is well,
    > but I am worried that maybe something is very wrong with my computer it
    > will crash on me and I will loose all my stuff.
    > MJ

    In your original post you said "when I turn the computer on" but now you say
    it's always on so I'm getting confused.
    Do you leave it on all the time and just turn off your monitor when not in
    use?

    Is your video card onboard of your motherboard or an add-on card?
    If it's an add-on then shutdown the machine and reseat the card.
    While you're in there you might want to go ahead and reseat the ram and cpu
    as well.
    If you haven't ever done a cpu before you might want to ask someone for help
    who has.
    p-nut, Feb 4, 2006
  7. Lethal

    old jon Guest

    "Lethal" <Moi@no spam.invalide> wrote in message
    > Thanks "p-nut" What I mean is that I have to "reboot",( press on the
    > little button under the "restart"button of the tower).
    > I do not have to power it off, the tower is always on which mean that I do
    > not have to "restart" .
    > As soon as I "reboot" the Windows screen comes on and all is well, but I
    > am worried that maybe something is very wrong with my computer it will
    > crash on me and I will loose all my stuff.
    > MJ

    If you are "worried abour losing your stuff", Take Action Now, to ensure
    you don`t lose it. !!
    Just check in your Event Viewer to see if you have any errors\warnings
    on the software side.
    Then make sure you have no Malware on your system.
    Then a System File Check SFC. (Come back here for that).
    These are the easiest things to do first, and they`re Free to do.
    After all that, you could be starting a hardware fault, but try those things
    first.

    --
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Feb 4, 2006
  8. Lethal

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:f%8Ff.4814$,
    old jon spewed forth:
    >> "p-nut" <i_don'> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> When you say "it will not load Windows unless I reboot", does that
    >>> mean you are hitting your "restart" button on your tower or you
    >>> power it off and back on using the power button.
    >>>

    > "Lethal" <Moi@no spam.invalide> wrote in message
    >> Thanks "p-nut" What I mean is that I have to "reboot",( press on the
    >> little button under the "restart"button of the tower).
    >> I do not have to power it off, the tower is always on which mean
    >> that I do not have to "restart" .
    >> As soon as I "reboot" the Windows screen comes on and all is well,
    >> but I am worried that maybe something is very wrong with my computer
    >> it will crash on me and I will loose all my stuff.
    >> MJ
    >>

    > If you are "worried abour losing your stuff", Take Action Now, to
    > ensure you don`t lose it. !!
    > Just check in your Event Viewer to see if you have any errors\warnings
    > on the software side.
    > Then make sure you have no Malware on your system.
    > Then a System File Check SFC. (Come back here for that).
    > These are the easiest things to do first, and they`re Free to do.
    > After all that, you could be starting a hardware fault, but try those
    > things first.

    And make a backup of data / settings.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 4, 2006
  9. Lethal

    old jon Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:f%8Ff.4814$,
    > old jon spewed forth:
    >>> "p-nut" <i_don'> wrote in message

    >> "Lethal" <Moi@no spam.invalide> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks "p-nut" What I mean is that I have to "reboot",( press on the
    >>> little button under the "restart"button of the tower).
    >>> I do not have to power it off, the tower is always on which mean
    >>> that I do not have to "restart" .
    >>> As soon as I "reboot" the Windows screen comes on and all is well,
    >>> but I am worried that maybe something is very wrong with my computer
    >>> it will crash on me and I will loose all my stuff.
    >>> MJ
    >>>

    >> If you are "worried abour losing your stuff", Take Action Now, to
    >> ensure you don`t lose it. !!
    >> Just check in your Event Viewer to see if you have any errors\warnings
    >> on the software side.
    >> Then make sure you have no Malware on your system.
    >> Then a System File Check SFC. (Come back here for that).
    >> These are the easiest things to do first, and they`re Free to do.
    >> After all that, you could be starting a hardware fault, but try those
    >> things first.

    > And make a backup of data / settings.

    It`s Saturday night and your `bushed` again Tim <g>.
    I already said "Take Action Now, to ensure you don`t lose it. !!"
    Lotsa luv and goodnight. Time for an oldie to get ready for bed.
    OJ

    old jon, Feb 4, 2006
  10. Lethal

    clot Guest

    old jon wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:f%8Ff.4814$,
    >> old jon spewed forth:

    >>> "Lethal" <Moi@no spam.invalide> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> If you are "worried abour losing your stuff", Take Action Now, to
    >>> ensure you don`t lose it. !!
    >>> Just check in your Event Viewer to see if you have any
    >>> errors\warnings on the software side.
    >>> Then make sure you have no Malware on your system.
    >>> Then a System File Check SFC. (Come back here for that).
    >>> These are the easiest things to do first, and they`re Free to do.
    >>> After all that, you could be starting a hardware fault, but try
    >>> those things first.

    >> And make a backup of data / settings.
    >>

    > It`s Saturday night and your `bushed` again Tim <g>.
    > I already said "Take Action Now, to ensure you don`t lose it. !!"
    > Lotsa luv and goodnight. Time for an oldie to get ready for bed.
    > OJ
    >> --
    >> If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

    Loved it! My hot waterbottles are in bed. Don't like that new fangled
    electric stuff. SHMBO is in the sack together with both the HWBs!
    clot, Feb 4, 2006
  11. Lethal

    Lethal Guest

    Sorry for getting you confused "p-nut". I turn off my computer, my monitor,
    every nights therefore, I have to "reboot" every mornings, What I meant is
    that if I don't shut off my computer, I have no problem. I tried this last
    night, left the it on and this morning all was well.
    I think that my video card is on the motherboard, but I am not too savvy
    with computers, so I guess I will have to follow your advice to get someone
    to look at it.
    Thanks for all your help and sorry again for the trouble.
    MJ

    Lethal, Feb 4, 2006
  12. Lethal

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 18:10:16 GMT, "Lethal" <Moi@no spam.invalide>
    wrote:

    >Could anyone please help me. I have a Pentium 4, 3 Gz, 512 Ram with 80 Gb
    >hard drive ( 68 Gb free ). For the last few morning when I turn the computer
    >on, it will not load Windows unless I reboot.
    >Is there a bad problem with my computer? and if so, what could I do to fix
    >it without having to take it to the repairman.
    >Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

    Marie-Jeanne

    Could be a hardware problem. One thing to start: Rest the RAM. Simple
    if you know how. Disconnect the PC from power, open the case, remove
    the RAM, then replace it carefully.

    Reseat any add-on cards like graphics, PCI cards.

    If you haven't a clue what this means, find someone who knows.

    good luck

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Feb 5, 2006
  13. Lethal

    Lethal Guest

    Ok, I've looked in the Event viewer,

    Application: OK, Security: OK, but in the System, it says:

    Error Source DCOM

    The description on the Error properties is as follow.

    Unable to start a DCOM server(FB7199ab-79bf-1102-80940000f87541).

    The error:

    The system cannot find the path specified happened while starting the
    command:

    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe Embedding.

    NOW WHAT SHOULD I DO TO CORRECT THIS PLEASE?

    Thank you.

    MJ

    Lethal, Feb 5, 2006
  14. Lethal

    old jon Guest

    > Ok, I've looked in the Event viewer,
    >
    > Application: OK, Security: OK, but in the System, it says:
    >
    > Error Source DCOM
    >
    > The description on the Error properties is as follow.
    >
    > Unable to start a DCOM server(FB7199ab-79bf-1102-80940000f87541).
    >
    > The error:
    >
    > The system cannot find the path specified happened while starting the
    > command:
    >
    > C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe Embedding.
    >
    > NOW WHAT SHOULD I DO TO CORRECT THIS PLEASE?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > MJ

    Snipped ( It`s nearly my bedtime)

    Get your machine started (fingers crossed <g>).
    Go to Start\Run, and type in CMD.
    A black screen comes up, click in the window to start the bar cursor,
    at the end of the writing on the screen.
    Type in SFC /scannow (read that carefully, note the space C / ).
    A message will come up saying insert your Windows CD. ^
    Let it do a full System File Check. ^
    Night Night, till tomorrow.

    --
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Feb 5, 2006
  15. Lethal

    Lethal Guest

    Thank you so much for all your help, problem solved,
    My grandson send me this address and all I had to do is click on it and all
    is fixed.
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
    I was a bit afraid to do what you suggested "old jon" I am not very savy
    with computer being a "old lady"
    Thanks again and have a good day.
    MJ

    Lethal, Feb 6, 2006
  16. Lethal

    p-nut Guest

    Lethal wrote:
    > Thank you so much for all your help, problem solved,
    > My grandson send me this address and all I had to do is click on it
    > and all is fixed.
    > http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
    > I was a bit afraid to do what you suggested "old jon" I am not very
    > savy with computer being a "old lady"
    > Thanks again and have a good day.
    > MJ

    I don't see how that registry file could have done anything to fix your
    problem.
    p-nut, Feb 8, 2006
  17. Lethal

    Volvox

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    This *.reg file worked for me too.
    Problem is caused by Outlook Express. It want to run Messenger when starts.
    Volvox, Oct 28, 2007