    not be a good idea as it's being withdrawn. Can anyone suggest a good route
    for me to go and outline a little what is involved?

    Thanks in advance, Andrew.

    Andrew Staley, Apr 8, 2007

  2. Andrew Staley

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Andrew Staley" <> wrote in message
    news:e%23$...
    > Ok, I've taken a leap from a job that I have done for 5yrs (insurance)
    > into the IT industry as it's something I've always had an interest in.
    >
    > I am going to a company to do IT support (desktop) and a little network
    > admin stuff with the flexibility to specialize in either if I choose.
    >
    > The help I need is in choosing what qualification might help me the most,
    > I was originally looking at doing MCSE certification but it seems this
    > might not be a good idea as it's being withdrawn. Can anyone suggest a
    > good route for me to go and outline a little what is involved?
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Andrew.

    Hi Andrew

    I did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago (changed career to IT,
    that is) only I had spent over 20 years as a legal secretary! Like you, I
    had always had an interest in IT.

    I started off working on a helpdesk, and then got a job doing deskside
    support and am now, because my colleague is spending a lot of time working
    in other offices, carrying out some systems administration tasks, such as
    creating and managing accounts in Active Directory, sorting out the server
    backups etc.

    The MCSE is being withdrawn (in 2008, I think), but I think it will be
    useful after its withdrawal for so long as companies continue to use Server
    2000/2003 - they won't all switch to "Longhorn" straightaway". There should
    also be an upgrade path available, to enable existing MCSE's to upgrade to
    the replacement certification without having to retake all 7 exams.

    That said, MCSE is a top-level Microsoft Certification and is aimed at
    people with several years' experience. The logical place to start for you
    would be the MCDST, which is aimed at desktop support technicians with a
    minimum of six months' experience. A significant chunk of the MCDST
    syllabus also deals with troubleshooting network issues. There are two exams
    required to become an MCDST.

    As you gain experience, and particularly if you enjoy doing network admin,
    you might want to study for the MCSA. This requires 4 exams: 3 core and one
    elective, but your MCDST could be used as the elective.

    Once you have your MCSA, you would need to take a further 3 exams to get
    your MCSE, assuming it is still around.

    I hope you enjoy your future career in IT.

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Apr 8, 2007

  3. "Andrew Staley" <> wrote in message

    > Ok, I've taken a leap from a job that I have done for 5yrs (insurance) into
    > the IT industry as it's something I've always had an interest in.
    >
    > I am going to a company to do IT support (desktop) and a little network
    > admin stuff with the flexibility to specialize in either if I choose.
    >
    > The help I need is in choosing what qualification might help me the most, I
    > was originally looking at doing MCSE certification but it seems this might
    > not be a good idea as it's being withdrawn. Can anyone suggest a good route
    > for me to go and outline a little what is involved?
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Andrew.

    I am not quite sure what you mean by the MCSE certification being
    withdrawn. However that is the least of my concerns right now. Do not
    concentrate on changing careers and jumping right into a certification.
    Certifications are the end result of months and/or years of hands-on
    experience. Let's take a look at what Microsoft has to say about its MCP
    certification for Windows XP Professional:

    Candidates for this exam operate in medium to very large computing
    environments that use Microsoft Windows XP Professional as a desktop
    operating system. They have a minimum of one year's experience
    implementing and administering any desktop operating system in a network
    environment.

    Minimum of one year... Can this be performed in less time? Sure... But
    that is not the point. The point is to concentrate on learning the
    product and technology and less time on getting certified on it. I say
    all of this with the utmost respect. I hope that in the future, with
    experience under your belt, you think about certification. I just do not
    think that time is now... Best of Luck.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

    Michael D. Alligood, Apr 8, 2007
  4. Andrew Staley

    catwalker63 Guest

    Andrew Staley piffled away vaguely:

    > Ok, I've taken a leap from a job that I have done for 5yrs (insurance) into
    > the IT industry as it's something I've always had an interest in.
    >
    > I am going to a company to do IT support (desktop) and a little network
    > admin stuff with the flexibility to specialize in either if I choose.
    >
    > The help I need is in choosing what qualification might help me the most, I
    > was originally looking at doing MCSE certification but it seems this might
    > not be a good idea as it's being withdrawn. Can anyone suggest a good route
    > for me to go and outline a little what is involved?
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Andrew.

    The MCSE is not being "withdrawn". The exams for the Windows 2000 track
    will retire in 2008, meaning you will no longer be able to take them and
    earn this cert. The upgrade exams from Windows 2000 to 2003 will also
    retire, so those of us who have the 2000 cert will no longer be able
    to just take two exams to upgrade our cert to 2003. I don't see where
    MS plans to retire the 2003 exams and they usually announce about this
    time of year and then it is a full year before the exams retire, so
    there is still time for those who are still working on this process.

    That said, I must say I agree with Michael and IT-Girl -- this isn't the
    time for you to start with this cert. Your first job is to get some
    experience under your belt. You can get some books and study, and I'd
    get used to the idea that since you will need to be constantly reading
    and practicing if you want to make it in this business. If you don't
    have a burning desire to know how this stuff works, you're sunk before
    you start. Just don't try for any certs until you have some experience.
    They don't mean anything without it.

    The curriculum for the certs can be a good learning framework for those
    who need one but I'd recommend you find out what your company uses and
    learn all you can about that. Then find out what most people use and
    learn about that. Read books, magazines, newsgroups, blogs, and
    anything you can get your hands on. And do get your hands on the
    product -- most pros/geeks have a "lab" at home to play with when they
    want to learn something new. MS usually releases evaluation versions of
    new products for professionals to learn on -- the installation expires
    after a set amount of time, but you should get used to re-installing
    that stuff anyway. Also, get used to doing research. Don't just ask
    and expect to get spoon-fed every answer.

    Good luck!
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Apr 9, 2007
  5. Andrew Staley

    Consultant Guest

    20 years as a secretary? you may need to change your id to theitwoman

    Consultant, Apr 9, 2007
  6. Andrew Staley

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Consultant" <> wrote in message
    > 20 years as a secretary? you may need to change your id to theitwoman

    I'm still 18 in my head. Besides, there's many a good tune played on an old
    fiddle you know ...

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Apr 9, 2007
  7. Andrew Staley

    Consultant Guest

    so, you fiddle your banjo quite often, is that what you are trying to say?

    Consultant, Apr 9, 2007
  8. Andrew Staley

    kpg Guest

    "TheITGirl" <> wrote in

    > "Consultant" <> wrote in message
    >> 20 years as a secretary? you may need to change your id to theitwoman
    >>

    > I'm still 18 in my head. Besides, there's many a good tune played on
    > an old fiddle you know ...
    >
    > IT Girl MCDST

    Don't listen to C ITGirl, you're still 18 in my head too.

    kp "and really stacked" g

    kpg, Apr 9, 2007
  9. Andrew Staley

    Consultant Guest

    i wanna see he pic, preferably, a smart skirt suit with glasses, hair put up
    and fishnet stockings. we're waiting.................

    Consultant, Apr 9, 2007
  10. Andrew Staley

    > so, you fiddle your banjo quite often, is that what you are trying to say?

    I've never been short of volunteer fiddlers, I'll have you know.

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Apr 9, 2007
  11. Andrew Staley

    Consultant Guest

    close enough ;-)

    Consultant, Apr 9, 2007
  12. Andrew Staley

    Consultant Guest

    ive fiddled a few banjos in my day

    Consultant, Apr 9, 2007
  13. Andrew Staley

    Jtyc Guest

    > Oh, alright then ...

    Your skirt doesn't really go with the rest of the outfit. I would have gone
    with something black and maybe a little longer. Your top and boots are nice
    though.

    Jtyc, Apr 9, 2007
  14. Andrew Staley

    Frisbee® Guest

    > close enough ;-)
    >
    > "TheITGirl" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Consultant" <> wrote in message
    >>>i wanna see he pic, preferably, a smart skirt suit with glasses, hair put
    >>>up
    >>> and fishnet stockings. we're waiting.................
    >>>

    >> Oh, alright then ...
    >>
    >> IT Girl MCDST

    Would someone kindly do the needful and poast said pickshure on the sekret
    site? It ain't showing up for me.

    For that matter, IT Girl, could YOU kindly do the needful and show up at our
    sekret site?

    --
    Fris "Official Babe Recruiter" bee®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help! http://www.mcngp.com?wp_ml=0

    Frisbee®, Apr 9, 2007
  15. Andrew Staley

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Frisbee®" <> wrote in message

    > Would someone kindly do the needful and poast said pickshure on the sekret
    > site? It ain't showing up for me.
    >
    > For that matter, IT Girl, could YOU kindly do the needful and show up at
    > our sekret site?
    >
    > --
    > Fris "Official Babe Recruiter" bee®, MCNGP #13
    >
    > The MCNGP Team - We're here to help! http://www.mcngp.com?wp_ml=0

    Do you mean the mcngp.com website? If not, you'll have to let me in on the
    sekret URL ...

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Apr 9, 2007
  16. Andrew Staley

    catwalker63 Guest

    TheITGirl piffled away vaguely:

    > "Frisbee®" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Would someone kindly do the needful and poast said pickshure on the sekret
    >> site? It ain't showing up for me.
    >>
    >> For that matter, IT Girl, could YOU kindly do the needful and show up at
    >> our sekret site?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Fris "Official Babe Recruiter" bee®, MCNGP #13
    >>
    >> The MCNGP Team - We're here to help! http://www.mcngp.com?wp_ml=0
    >>

    > Do you mean the mcngp.com website? If not, you'll have to let me in on the
    > sekret URL ...
    >
    > IT Girl MCDST

    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

    catwalker63, Apr 10, 2007
  17. Andrew Staley

    Consultant Guest

    its a trap!

    Consultant, Apr 10, 2007
  18. Andrew Staley

    catwalker63 Guest

    Consultant piffled away vaguely:

    > its a trap!

    For once, you're right. <eg>

    catwalker63, Apr 10, 2007
  19. Andrew Staley

    Consultant Guest

    only once??????????

    Consultant, Apr 10, 2007
  20. Andrew Staley

    catwalker63 Guest

    Consultant piffled away vaguely:
    > "catwalker63" <> wrote in message
    >> Consultant piffled away vaguely:
    >>
    >>> its a trap!
    >>>

    >> For once, you're right. <eg>
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Catwalker
    >> MCNGP #43
    >> www.mcngp.com
    >> "I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."
    >>

    > only once??????????

    Well there was that one time. But you told me that was just between us.

    catwalker63, Apr 10, 2007