    Is there a way to make this happen in IOS so that those useful debug
    commands are started upon router reload?

    Thanks
    mikester, Oct 21, 2003

  2. mikester

    Rik Bain Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:58:23 +0600, Barry Margolin wrote:

    > In article <bn6e1v$cgh$>, Walter Roberson
    > <-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
    >>Copy your configuration to a tftp server. Edit the configuration there
    >>to add the debug commands. tftp the enhanced configuration into your
    >>startup config, NOT into your running config.

    > Will this really work? Debug commands are not commands that can be
    > entered into configuration mode, they have to be typed from regular
    > command level, so I wouldn't expect them to work in a startup
    > configuration either.

    It just might:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a008012258b.html

    Preceding an exec level command with "do" while in config mode will
    execute said command with recent IOS.

    Rik Bain
    Rik Bain, Oct 22, 2003

  3. mikester

    Rik Bain Guest

    Rik Bain, Oct 22, 2003
  4. mikester

    mikester Guest

    bump

    mikester, Oct 22, 2003
  5. In article <>,
    mikester <> wrote:
    :Is there a way to start debug commands on startup?

    :What I mean is, if you log a few select debug commands normally for
    :syslog purposes, if the router reloads then the debug commands are not
    :started at startup again.

    debug commands are not saved with configurations.

    --
    When your posts are all alone / and a user's on the phone/
    there's one place to check -- / Upstream!
    Walter Roberson, Oct 22, 2003
  6. In article <bn6e1v$cgh$>,
    Walter Roberson <-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
    >Copy your configuration to a tftp server. Edit the configuration
    >there to add the debug commands. tftp the enhanced configuration
    >into your startup config, NOT into your running config.

    Will this really work? Debug commands are not commands that can be entered
    into configuration mode, they have to be typed from regular command level,
    so I wouldn't expect them to work in a startup configuration either.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Level(3), Woburn, MA
    Barry Margolin, Oct 22, 2003
  7. In article <3zzlb.157$3.com>,
    Barry Margolin <> wrote:
    :In article <bn6e1v$cgh$>,
    :Walter Roberson <-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
    :>Copy your configuration to a tftp server. Edit the configuration
    :>there to add the debug commands. tftp the enhanced configuration
    :>into your startup config, NOT into your running config.

    :Will this really work? Debug commands are not commands that can be entered
    :into configuration mode, they have to be typed from regular command level,
    :so I wouldn't expect them to work in a startup configuration either.

    Good point, Barry.

    Hmmm, what happens if you have an 'exit' command in the startup config?
    Can you pop out of config mode into command mode?

    Also, I wonder whether there would be something that could be done
    with tcl scripts on the routers that support them? I haven't had time
    (or reason) to look into what the tcl capabilities are.
    --
    Warning: potentially contains traces of nuts.
    Walter Roberson, Oct 23, 2003