Starting an E-mail hosting business on the side

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ludwig77, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. Ludwig77

    Ludwig77 Guest

    I'm considering starting an e-mail hosting business (ala Hotmail,
    except without all of the spam) on the side and am wondering what it
    would take.

    I'm thinking that I could buy an Exchange server, a DSL or cable modem
    connection, and a firewall.

    I'd have to register domain names...

    I'd want a backup system, preferably one that is automated to run
    nightly.

    Would this be a good side business for someone to run from their home
    on the side?

    Could the same server serve as a pop and an SMTP server?

    Please post comments/suggestions.
    Ludwig77, Sep 3, 2003

  2. (Ludwig77) wrote in news:8d273a25.0309030628.421ee820
    @posting.google.com:

    -----------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > connection, and a firewall.

    <snip>

    > Could the same server serve as a pop and an SMTP server?

    -----------------------------------^^^--------^^^^

    You quite clearly don't have the first fucking clue what you're talking
    about.

    I politely suggest you do a whole bunch more reading before you get
    involved in something like email hosting.
    Santiago Zawojski, Sep 3, 2003

  3. Ludwig77

    JabberSmith Guest

    "Ludwig77" <> wrote in message
    > I'm considering starting an e-mail hosting business (ala Hotmail,
    > except without all of the spam) on the side and am wondering what it
    > would take.
    >
    > I'm thinking that I could buy an Exchange server, a DSL or cable modem
    > connection, and a firewall.
    >
    > I'd have to register domain names...
    >
    > I'd want a backup system, preferably one that is automated to run
    > nightly.
    >
    > Would this be a good side business for someone to run from their home
    > on the side?

    Hah hahah! HO ho ho ho he eh hehehe! That's funny.

    Dude, you'd make more money doing chalk drawings on the sidewalk for the
    lazy kids in the neighborhood.

    In short, no.

    At length, no. Email is a loss-leader that ISPs wouldnt do if they didnt
    have to. You'd have to charge as much as an ISP to even get close to
    breaking even. Not only that, running an email server getting tougher every
    day (with viruses, stupid users, asshole Florida spammers, etc.).

    It is FAR beyond your skillset. (Which is about the nicest way I could come
    up with to say it.)

    > Could the same server serve as a pop and an SMTP server?
    >
    > Please post comments/suggestions.

    Mow lawns or something for spare pocket money. Seriously, email
    administration sucks ass.
    JabberSmith, Sep 4, 2003