    ring on the one phone and that via (easy to setup!) dialling plans calls
    will be routed either over my BT line or by VoipDiscount account.

    Any suggestions please?
    Port Admiral Haynes, Feb 25, 2007

  2. Port Admiral Haynes

    Brian Guest

    On 2007-02-25, Port Admiral Haynes <> wrote:

    > What I would like is to replace my ATA with one that allows my to plug my BT
    > land line into it as well as a network cable and will allow me to have
    > multiple providers on one phone so that all incoming calls (VOIP or BT) will
    > ring on the one phone and that via (easy to setup!) dialling plans calls
    > will be routed either over my BT line or by VoipDiscount account.
    >
    > Any suggestions please?

    Register the ATA at

    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PcTradeShop-Computer-Components

    with VoXaLOT.

    The Gate 102, also sold on Ebay, is another ATA to consider. There was a
    good mini-review of it in this group a day or so ago.

    Brian.
    Brian, Feb 25, 2007

  3. Port Admiral Haynes

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:51:09 +0000 (UTC), Brian <>
    wrote:

    >On 2007-02-25, Port Admiral Haynes <> wrote:
    >
    >> What I would like is to replace my ATA with one that allows my to plug my BT
    >> land line into it as well as a network cable and will allow me to have
    >> multiple providers on one phone so that all incoming calls (VOIP or BT) will
    >> ring on the one phone and that via (easy to setup!) dialling plans calls
    >> will be routed either over my BT line or by VoipDiscount account.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions please?

    >Register the ATA at
    >
    >http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PcTradeShop-Computer-Components
    >
    >with VoXaLOT.
    >
    >The Gate 102, also sold on Ebay, is another ATA to consider. There was a
    >good mini-review of it in this group a day or so ago.
    >
    >Brian.

    IMHO, if you want the system to work I wouldn't mess about with
    cheapy/questionable stuff from Ebay or elsewhere. Go fo a
    Linkys/Sipura SPA-3102 ATA. It will do the business and there should
    be no problems once you have got it set up. You won't need the router
    function in the SPA-3102,- just connect it to the output of your
    router. If you are just needing one output from the router, to your
    computer, then ditch your router and use the SPA-3102 instead as a
    router/ATA.
    Try here broadbandstuff :-
    http://tinyurl.com/ywyrkn
    Their prices are usually among the most competitive.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Feb 25, 2007
  4. "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:51:09 +0000 (UTC), Brian <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 2007-02-25, Port Admiral Haynes <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What I would like is to replace my ATA with one that allows my to plug
    >>> my BT
    >>> land line into it as well as a network cable and will allow me to have
    >>> multiple providers on one phone so that all incoming calls (VOIP or BT)
    >>> will
    >>> ring on the one phone and that via (easy to setup!) dialling plans calls
    >>> will be routed either over my BT line or by VoipDiscount account.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions please?

    > IMHO, if you want the system to work I wouldn't mess about with
    > cheapy/questionable stuff from Ebay or elsewhere. Go fo a
    > Linkys/Sipura SPA-3102 ATA. It will do the business and there should
    > be no problems once you have got it set up. You won't need the router
    > function in the SPA-3102,- just connect it to the output of your
    > router. If you are just needing one output from the router, to your
    > computer, then ditch your router and use the SPA-3102 instead as a
    > router/ATA.
    > Try here broadbandstuff :-
    > http://tinyurl.com/ywyrkn
    > Their prices are usually among the most competitive.
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Many thanks - I will take a look
    Port Admiral Haynes, Feb 25, 2007
  5. Port Admiral Haynes

    Ian Pawson Guest

    Port Admiral Haynes wrote:
    > First I used Skype but then as I wanted to have something more flexible I
    > decided to try "proper" VOIP. My wife has relatives in Singapore and
    > Malaysia so after a bit of research I chose VoipDiscount as my outgoing call
    > provider. I chose (wrongly I now think) a Linksys PAP2T as my ATA as it was
    > cheap.
    >
    > It has two ports and so I have a DECT phone for VOIP outgoing calls, a DECT
    > phone for incoming VOIP calls (very rarely gets used) and a DECT phone for
    > my normal BT line. I do not want to use my VOIP number for everyday incoming
    > calls and wish to stick with my BT line for that.
    >
    > I do not want to change my router as I am very happy with its stability and
    > speed.
    >
    > What I would like is to replace my ATA with one that allows my to plug my BT
    > land line into it as well as a network cable and will allow me to have
    > multiple providers on one phone so that all incoming calls (VOIP or BT) will
    > ring on the one phone and that via (easy to setup!) dialling plans calls
    > will be routed either over my BT line or by VoipDiscount account.
    >
    > Any suggestions please?

    I have a Linksys SPA300 that does exactly that.
    Ian Pawson, Feb 25, 2007
  6. Port Admiral Haynes

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:37:01 -0000, "Port Admiral Haynes"
    <> wrote:

    >"Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:51:09 +0000 (UTC), Brian <>
    >> wrote:

    >> IMHO, if you want the system to work I wouldn't mess about with
    >> cheapy/questionable stuff from Ebay or elsewhere. Go fo a
    >> Linkys/Sipura SPA-3102 ATA. It will do the business and there should
    >> be no problems once you have got it set up. You won't need the router
    >> function in the SPA-3102,- just connect it to the output of your
    >> router. If you are just needing one output from the router, to your
    >> computer, then ditch your router and use the SPA-3102 instead as a
    >> router/ATA.
    >> Try here broadbandstuff :-
    >> http://tinyurl.com/ywyrkn
    >> Their prices are usually among the most competitive.
    >> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    >Many thanks - I will take a look

    If you go for the SPA-3102 then it would be a very good idea to
    download a program called NewSipuraUtil.exe
    It works with my SPA-3000 so hopefully it will work with the
    SPA-3102..
    It is a program with a GUI that enables you to back up all the
    settings on your Sipura box. That way you can feel free to muck about
    with the settings safe in the knowledge that you can put everything
    back if you get problems.
    If you get the Sipura/Linksys come back here if you need help in
    setting up.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Feb 25, 2007
  7. Port Admiral Haynes

    Brian Guest

    On 2007-02-25, Brian A <> wrote:

    > IMHO, if you want the system to work I wouldn't mess about with
    > cheapy/questionable stuff from Ebay or elsewhere. Go fo a
    > Linkys/Sipura SPA-3102 ATA. It will do the business and there should
    > be no problems once you have got it set up.

    At about 40 GBP with p&p I wouldn't class the Gate 102 as cheap but the
    other ATA is getting on for one third the cost of a 3102. It doesn't
    have the gateway features of the SPA but it will do what the OP wants.
    Registration and audio quality both appear to be sound. There may be a
    question mark over the reception of caller ID with both these ATAs so
    you would be looking elsewhere if that is of importance.

    Brian.
    Brian, Feb 25, 2007
  8. Port Admiral Haynes

    Herman Guest

    "Port Admiral Haynes" <> wrote in message
    > First I used Skype but then as I wanted to have something more flexible I
    > decided to try "proper" VOIP. My wife has relatives in Singapore and
    > Malaysia so after a bit of research I chose VoipDiscount as my outgoing
    > call provider. I chose (wrongly I now think) a Linksys PAP2T as my ATA as
    > it was cheap.
    >
    > It has two ports and so I have a DECT phone for VOIP outgoing calls, a
    > DECT phone for incoming VOIP calls (very rarely gets used) and a DECT
    > phone for my normal BT line. I do not want to use my VOIP number for
    > everyday incoming calls and wish to stick with my BT line for that.
    >
    > I do not want to change my router as I am very happy with its stability
    > and speed.
    >
    > What I would like is to replace my ATA with one that allows my to plug my
    > BT land line into it as well as a network cable and will allow me to have
    > multiple providers on one phone so that all incoming calls (VOIP or BT)
    > will ring on the one phone and that via (easy to setup!) dialling plans
    > calls will be routed either over my BT line or by VoipDiscount account.
    >
    > Any suggestions please?

    I use the FritzBox and am very happy with it in terms of number of accounts
    (up to 10 plus landline backup with routing) amongst other things. But it
    is pricier than the Linksys/Sipura products which are also generally well
    respected. I started off with a cheap ATA but switched to the FritzBox when
    I ditched the landline. You can disable the router functions although it is
    generally advisable to have your ATA first in line for more reliable
    quality, especially if your current router does not support QoS.

    The other option is to use Voxalot, which allows you unlimited SIP accounts
    which are then all routed into one Voxalot account. I have found the
    quality of Voxalot to be variable, although there are a few in this group
    who seem to be OK with it.
    Herman, Feb 26, 2007
  9. Port Admiral Haynes

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:56:56 GMT, "Herman"
    <> wrote:

    >"Port Admiral Haynes" <> wrote in message
    >> First I used Skype but then as I wanted to have something more flexible I
    >> decided to try "proper" VOIP. My wife has relatives in Singapore and
    >> Malaysia so after a bit of research I chose VoipDiscount as my outgoing
    >> call provider. I chose (wrongly I now think) a Linksys PAP2T as my ATA as
    >> it was cheap.
    >>
    >> It has two ports and so I have a DECT phone for VOIP outgoing calls, a
    >> DECT phone for incoming VOIP calls (very rarely gets used) and a DECT
    >> phone for my normal BT line. I do not want to use my VOIP number for
    >> everyday incoming calls and wish to stick with my BT line for that.
    >>
    >> I do not want to change my router as I am very happy with its stability
    >> and speed.
    >>
    >> What I would like is to replace my ATA with one that allows my to plug my
    >> BT land line into it as well as a network cable and will allow me to have
    >> multiple providers on one phone so that all incoming calls (VOIP or BT)
    >> will ring on the one phone and that via (easy to setup!) dialling plans
    >> calls will be routed either over my BT line or by VoipDiscount account.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions please?

    >I use the FritzBox and am very happy with it in terms of number of accounts
    >(up to 10 plus landline backup with routing) amongst other things. But it
    >is pricier than the Linksys/Sipura products which are also generally well
    >respected. I started off with a cheap ATA but switched to the FritzBox when
    >I ditched the landline. You can disable the router functions although it is
    >generally advisable to have your ATA first in line for more reliable
    >quality, especially if your current router does not support QoS.
    >
    >The other option is to use Voxalot, which allows you unlimited SIP accounts
    >which are then all routed into one Voxalot account. I have found the
    >quality of Voxalot to be variable, although there are a few in this group
    >who seem to be OK with it.

    That is a very good point Herman. The OP has a PAP2 so if he used it
    with Voxalot he could add as many incoming/outgoing VSPs as he wished
    without any extra cost.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Feb 27, 2007
  10. Port Admiral Haynes

    Brian Guest

    On 2007-02-27, Brian A <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:56:56 GMT, "Herman"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>The other option is to use Voxalot, which allows you unlimited SIP accounts
    >>which are then all routed into one Voxalot account. I have found the
    >>quality of Voxalot to be variable, although there are a few in this group
    >>who seem to be OK with it.
    >>

    > That is a very good point Herman. The OP has a PAP2 so if he used it
    > with Voxalot he could add as many incoming/outgoing VSPs as he wished
    > without any extra cost.

    The primary objective of the OP is to reduce the number of telephone
    handsets to one. Using the PAP2 won't give him that. Also, if he does
    not want a device incorporating a router there are not many to choose
    from.

    Brian.
    Brian, Feb 27, 2007