  1. Paul  Fisher

    Paul Fisher Guest

    How does one start a new group / I would like to start one on wooden boats.
    Paul Fisher, Oct 28, 2007

  2. Paul  Fisher

    richard Guest

    On Oct 28, 6:04 am, "Paul Fisher" <> wrote:
    > How does one start a new group / I would like to start one on wooden boats.

    Plenty of reading material available on the subject. As you are using
    OE, you will need to know how to use the headers in order to create
    the necessary control words that actually create a group.

    You can create one in the "alt" hierarchy without any need for
    someone's personal approval or intervention in the process.

    The big hurdle, is getting news servers to carry the group. Once you
    get one of the major servers to carry it, then the others will as
    well.

    I created alt.binaries.html just to see how it was done using OE. Got
    a few servers to carry it and within a couple of months others were
    carrying it as well.

    Before creating one, do a full search on your server list. You might
    find one existing probably in the "rec" (recreation) hierarchy.

    It can be done, but not instantly. Patience is a virtue in this game.
    richard, Oct 28, 2007

  3. Paul  Fisher

    Mike Easter Guest

    Paul Fisher wrote:
    > How does one start a new group /

    Before one thinks about starting a new group, they have 'conversations'
    about topics they are interested in in existing groups.

    > I would like to start one on wooden
    > boats.

    Building or restoring wooden boats? Such as is discussed in
    rec.boats.building? Or rec.woodworking? Or 'recreating' aboard wooden
    boats such as discussed in rec.boats.cruising? Or discussing wooden
    boats in rec.boats?

    I see that you have posted in rec.boats.building and can.rec.boating,
    but rec.boats is much 'busier' in terms of the number of posts than
    r.b.building.

    The business about starting a new usenet group is significantly
    different depending upon whether the group would be in the big8
    hierarchy such as rec. as opposed to the alt. hierarchy

    A site with some information on finding newsgroups and starting
    newsgroups is the faq and links for news.newusers.questions
    http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/ This site contains frequently asked
    questions (FAQs), links to helpful sites and newsgroups, and nnq policy
    and administrative documents.

    .... and that site has a page - Creating new newsgroups
    http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/ncreate.shtml

    .... as well as a page with admonitions to find existing newsgroups, and
    to use webforums and mailing lists to 'network' with other people
    interested in wooden boats. Of course, it is much much easier to create
    a google group or a yahoo group than a newsgroup.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 28, 2007
  4. Paul  Fisher

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-10-28, Paul Fisher <> wrote:
    > How does one start a new group / I would like to start one on wooden boats.

    Read <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/creating-newsgroups/part1/>.

    Newcomers to newsgroups should start here

    <http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>

    and here

    <http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/>, the Official Home Page of the
    newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.

    If you are interested in boats, then becoming familiar with the various
    rec.boats.* newsgroups would seem to be a first step. There are also
    boat-related groups within the can.* and uk.* heirarchies, and possibly
    others. If you find support for the idea of a new newsgroup dedicated to
    wooden boats, the next step would be to subscribe to news.config and start
    jumping through the various hoops.

    The creation of new newsgroups in the alt.* heirarchy is somewhat
    different; subscribe to alt.config to start learning more. Other
    heirarchies outside the "big 8" also have their own arrangements.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 28, 2007
  5. Paul  Fisher

    Paul Fisher Guest

    got it thanks

    Paul Fisher, Oct 28, 2007
  6. Paul  Fisher

    Hammerer Guest

    Paul Fisher wrote:

    > How does one start a new group / I would like to start one on wooden

    boats.

    Forget it, Paul. I've tried it myself, and unless you get good weather
    the whole thing is hopeless. Try typing in a gale-force wind with waves
    the size of mountains ......... it's no fun, believe me. Just wait till
    you're at home and start the group from the comfort of your swivel-chair.
    Hammerer, Oct 28, 2007
  7. Paul  Fisher

    Top Guest

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 08:04:04 -0400, Paul Fisher wrote:

    > How does one start a new group / I would like to start one on wooden
    > boats.

    Have you made sure there are no newsgroups that suit your needs?

    Top
    Top, Oct 31, 2007
  8. Paul  Fisher

    Top Guest

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 02:29:04 -0600, Plato wrote:

    > Top wrote:
    >>
    >> > How does one start a new group / I would like to start one on wooden
    >> > boats.

    >> Have you made sure there are no newsgroups that suit your needs?

    > I love wood boats. Very quite especially when fishing. Start a webpage
    > instead of a new NG.

    Or a blog. I too love fishing from the much quieter wood boats.

    Top
    Top, Nov 4, 2007