    Many thanks in advance for your help.

    Victor.
    , Aug 23, 2006

  2. paul123 Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm a newbie to voip who has been lurking and reading for sometime. I
    > have just moved to a new property and had my broadband (Telewest)
    > installed Monday. I am eager to get set-up and start using voip. My
    > details/requirements are thus: There are 2 people in the house both of
    > whom have mobiles, we have no landline and will be using voip for all
    > calls. The phone will mainly be used for incoming calls but will also
    > be used to make UK calls. I have an idea of what kit I need/would like
    > to buy but would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations. I
    > currently have a PC and the cable modem. Also any recommendations on
    > service providers would be great.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance for your help.

    You'll need to get an ethernet router and then a 2 port ATA (analogue
    telephone adaptor). A PAP2 ATA (unlocked) could be a contender -
    there's plenty on that in this group - or a SPA2002......
    paul123, Aug 23, 2006

  3. Ivor Jones Guest

    "paul123" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I'm a newbie to voip who has been lurking and reading
    > > for sometime. I have just moved to a new property and
    > > had my broadband (Telewest) installed Monday. I am
    > > eager to get set-up and start using voip. My
    > > details/requirements are thus: There are 2 people in
    > > the house both of whom have mobiles, we have no
    > > landline and will be using voip for all calls. The
    > > phone will mainly be used for incoming calls but will
    > > also be used to make UK calls. I have an idea of what
    > > kit I need/would like to buy but would appreciate any
    > > suggestions/recommendations. I currently have a PC and
    > > the cable modem. Also any recommendations on service
    > > providers would be great.
    > >
    > > Many thanks in advance for your help.

    > You'll need to get an ethernet router and then a 2 port
    > ATA (analogue telephone adaptor). A PAP2 ATA (unlocked)
    > could be a contender - there's plenty on that in this
    > group - or a SPA2002......

    For providers, there are a host to choose from, www.sipgate.co.uk offer
    free UK numbers and free calls to other users, plus there is no monthly
    rental. For calls to ordinary numbers, you need to add a minimum of £10
    credit, but this never expires (I've still got some on one of my accounts
    after over 18 months..!)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 23, 2006
  4. Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "paul123" <> wrote in message
    > > wrote:
    > > > Hi All,
    > > >
    > > > I'm a newbie to voip who has been lurking and reading
    > > > for sometime. I have just moved to a new property and
    > > > had my broadband (Telewest) installed Monday. I am
    > > > eager to get set-up and start using voip. My
    > > > details/requirements are thus: There are 2 people in
    > > > the house both of whom have mobiles, we have no
    > > > landline and will be using voip for all calls. The
    > > > phone will mainly be used for incoming calls but will
    > > > also be used to make UK calls. I have an idea of what
    > > > kit I need/would like to buy but would appreciate any
    > > > suggestions/recommendations. I currently have a PC and
    > > > the cable modem. Also any recommendations on service
    > > > providers would be great.
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks in advance for your help.

    > > You'll need to get an ethernet router and then a 2 port
    > > ATA (analogue telephone adaptor). A PAP2 ATA (unlocked)
    > > could be a contender - there's plenty on that in this
    > > group - or a SPA2002......

    > For providers, there are a host to choose from, www.sipgate.co.uk offer
    > free UK numbers and free calls to other users, plus there is no monthly
    > rental. For calls to ordinary numbers, you need to add a minimum of £10
    > credit, but this never expires (I've still got some on one of my accounts
    > after over 18 months..!)
    >
    > Ivor

    Thanks for the prompt replies.

    I was looking at whatever cheap router I could get (Ebuyer have one for
    £20) as I have no use for it other than the voip. I was also
    considering the PAP2 or the SPA1001.

    For a provider I was looking at sipgate of maybe voipstunt...

    Paul - Can I ask why you suggest a 2 port ATA? If it's because there
    are two of us (i.e. needing 2 lines/devices) we would be sharing a
    single line. Is there another reason I'd need 2 ports that I'm not
    aware of?

    Thanks again for your help.
    Victor.
    , Aug 23, 2006
  5. paul123 Guest

    wrote:

    > Paul - Can I ask why you suggest a 2 port ATA? If it's because there
    > are two of us (i.e. needing 2 lines/devices) we would be sharing a
    > single line. Is there another reason I'd need 2 ports that I'm not
    > aware of?

    Yes, In case you both want to make a call at the same time. You would,
    of course, need 2 handsets (or DECT sets). If not, a one port ATA would
    be more "economical".
    paul123, Aug 23, 2006
  6. Ivor Jones Guest

    "paul123" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > Paul - Can I ask why you suggest a 2 port ATA? If it's
    > > because there are two of us (i.e. needing 2
    > > lines/devices) we would be sharing a single line. Is
    > > there another reason I'd need 2 ports that I'm not
    > > aware of?

    > Yes, In case you both want to make a call at the same
    > time. You would, of course, need 2 handsets (or DECT
    > sets). If not, a one port ATA would be more "economical".

    To put it more directly, 2 ports will effectively give you two independent
    lines. A single port device such as the SPA-1001 while it is the same in
    that it can accommodate two accounts, each with its own number, only has
    one phone socket, so only one line can be in use at once. If you want to
    use a DECT cordless phone, a single one is obviously easier than carrying
    two about, but if you use wired phones then two independent ones are more
    versatile.

    Note that if you have a slow uplink (some cable systems only have 128k on
    the uplink) then two independent calls will probably not work too well.
    256k or higher will not have any problems in this respect IME.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 23, 2006
  7. Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "paul123" <> wrote in message
    > > wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Paul - Can I ask why you suggest a 2 port ATA? If it's
    > > > because there are two of us (i.e. needing 2
    > > > lines/devices) we would be sharing a single line. Is
    > > > there another reason I'd need 2 ports that I'm not
    > > > aware of?

    > > Yes, In case you both want to make a call at the same
    > > time. You would, of course, need 2 handsets (or DECT
    > > sets). If not, a one port ATA would be more "economical".

    > To put it more directly, 2 ports will effectively give you two independent
    > lines. A single port device such as the SPA-1001 while it is the same in
    > that it can accommodate two accounts, each with its own number, only has
    > one phone socket, so only one line can be in use at once. If you want to
    > use a DECT cordless phone, a single one is obviously easier than carrying
    > two about, but if you use wired phones then two independent ones are more
    > versatile.
    >
    > Note that if you have a slow uplink (some cable systems only have 128k on
    > the uplink) then two independent calls will probably not work too well.
    > 256k or higher will not have any problems in this respect IME.
    >
    > Ivor

    Thanks guys - I really appreciate your help on this.

    Even though we only need one handset now (we have a DECT) it would be
    good to have the option to expand to two handsets in the future if
    required. Plus I've read the PAP2 is a little more user friendly for
    beginners...

    I'll continue lurking until I take delivery and then I'm sure I'll be
    back for your expertise!

    Thanks again.
    Victor
    , Aug 24, 2006