  1. Bob Rabbone

    Bob Rabbone Guest

    How do I get windows xp to start up with a file of my choice for example every time that I start the computer it will start with Internet explorer if I choice too Thank you
    Bob Rabbone, Mar 14, 2006

  2. Bob Rabbone

    itemyar Guest

    Have you tried putting IE in your Start up folder? (Start/All
    Programs/Startup)

    itemyar, Mar 14, 2006

  3. Bob Rabbone

    Bob Guest

    itemyar wrote:
    > Have you tried putting IE in your Start up folder? (Start/All
    > Programs/Startup)

    Related question: How do you drop items out of your startup folder so
    that the computer boots up faster?

    Bob S.
    Bob, Mar 15, 2006
  4. Bob Rabbone

    itemyar Guest

    If the item is in the Startup folder that we're talking about (Start/All
    Programs/Startup) you can just right-click on it and choose 'Delete'.

    There are lots of other things that automatically start when Windows boots
    that don't show up in the Startup folder though. You can customize your
    Startup by doing this: Start/Run, then type in msconfig, this will bring up
    a screen with a bunch of tabs, click on the Startup tab and you'll see what
    Windows loads when you boot your computer. If you don't want a particular
    item to start automatically, just clear the check mark and click on Apply,
    or OK, then restart your computer. Be careful though, make sure you know
    what it is that you're disabling. Generally, I only use this as a
    troubleshooting tool, if I think something running in the background is
    giving me a problem, I'll try to find it by creating a 'Selective Startup
    Sequence'. If you mess something up, just run "msconfig" again and put back
    the check mark.

    Caution: the Startup tab in this splash screen is the only one I would mess
    with, changing stuff in the other tabs might cause you grief.

    Hope this helps!

    itemyar, Mar 15, 2006
  5. Bob Rabbone

    Bob Guest

    itemyar wrote:
    > If the item is in the Startup folder that we're talking about (Start/All
    > Programs/Startup) you can just right-click on it and choose 'Delete'.
    >
    > There are lots of other things that automatically start when Windows boots
    > that don't show up in the Startup folder though. You can customize your
    > Startup by doing this: Start/Run, then type in msconfig, this will bring up
    > a screen with a bunch of tabs, click on the Startup tab and you'll see what
    > Windows loads when you boot your computer. If you don't want a particular
    > item to start automatically, just clear the check mark and click on Apply,
    > or OK, then restart your computer. Be careful though, make sure you know
    > what it is that you're disabling. Generally, I only use this as a
    > troubleshooting tool, if I think something running in the background is
    > giving me a problem, I'll try to find it by creating a 'Selective Startup
    > Sequence'. If you mess something up, just run "msconfig" again and put back
    > the check mark.
    >
    > Caution: the Startup tab in this splash screen is the only one I would mess
    > with, changing stuff in the other tabs might cause you grief.
    >
    > Hope this helps!

    Thanks. I unchecked some of HP's game loading. Boots a little faster
    now.

    Bob S.
    Bob, Mar 18, 2006
  6. Bob Rabbone

    itemyar Guest

    If you never use these applications, you might want to consider uninstalling
    them via "add/remove programs" in "Control Panel" if they show up in the
    list?

    itemyar, Mar 18, 2006