    operating Win XP Home Edition.

    Thanks in advance for any help

    Cheekycharlie
    cheekycharlie, Apr 16, 2005

  2. cheekycharlie

    Keme Guest

    cheekycharlie wrote:
    > Hi
    > Can anyone advise me how to prevent a program eg Yahoo Messenger from
    > starting up everytime I boot up.
    > I have several other progs that are slowing my boot up time down. I ma
    > operating Win XP Home Edition.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help
    >
    > Cheekycharlie

    Most current programs with this behaviour have a "Load program at
    boot/login" entry in a settings/properties dialog. Search for that in
    the program menus/tools.

    Less likely but quicker to find:
    Some programs will have a link in the startup part oft the start menu:
    "Start - (all) programs - Startup"
    The links there can be deleted, just right click, and select delete in
    the context menu.

    Other startup options are possible, but not used by well behaved user
    programs (intended for device drivers and the like, and utilized by
    intrusive programs such as virii). Removal often involves registy
    editing, unless a spyware detection program regards it a threat.

    Consult http://www.spywarewarrior.com for further advice.
    Keme, Apr 16, 2005

  3. cheekycharlie

    Abbyss Guest

    Hi!
    Hit START - RUN, type MSCONFIG an take a look at the STARTUP sheet.
    Good luck! :)

    Regards
    Abbyss

    Abbyss, Apr 16, 2005
  4. cheekycharlie

    B0B Guest

    Messenger window, Messenger, Prefereences, General, uncheck Automatically
    start Yahoo Messenger

    Cheers

    B0B, Apr 16, 2005