    Thanks for the help

    Michael

    , Aug 26, 2005

  2. Chas Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi There
    > I am trying to configure my computer so i can get the best speed out ot
    > it...I recently had Broadband internet installed, so need the like of a
    > Firewall(Zone Alarm), antivirus(at the moment use a free one from
    > www.download.com)and a pop up stopper,to come on as soon as i start up
    > my computer....now these seem to take ages to load in, but i do have
    > them installed in different hard drives....would it be quicker to keep
    > all of my "Startup" progs in one place...and would it be better if it
    > was on my "c" drive where windows is installed..!!
    >
    > Thanks for the help
    >
    > Michael

    Yes to Both Questions and configure your swap file on the fastest drive
    chas

    Chas, Aug 26, 2005

  3. Harrison Guest

    Harrison, Aug 26, 2005
  4. Harrison Guest

    On 26 Aug 2005 03:25:45 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi There
    >I am trying to configure my computer so i can get the best speed out ot
    >it...I recently had Broadband internet installed, so need the like of a
    >Firewall(Zone Alarm), antivirus(at the moment use a free one from
    >www.download.com)and a pop up stopper,to come on as soon as i start up
    >my computer....now these seem to take ages to load in, but i do have
    >them installed in different hard drives....would it be quicker to keep
    >all of my "Startup" progs in one place...and would it be better if it
    >was on my "c" drive where windows is installed..!!
    >
    >Thanks for the help
    >
    >Michael

    Move your Windows paging file to the non-system drive on the other IDE channel. Preferably, on its own partition at the
    front of the drive.
    Load your programs from one location.

    It would also have helped if you would have posted your system specs.
    XP will run slowly on a 700 MHz with 128 Mb RAM, but if you're running a 2 Hz with 512 or more, and it's still slow,
    then you've got other problems.

    Harrison, Aug 26, 2005
  5. Guest

    Hi yes,sorry i should have included my specs...my sys comprises of a
    1.3gb board, with 512 mb ram, running win xp

    Michael

    , Aug 26, 2005
  6. Trax Guest

    wrote:

    |>Hi There
    |>I am trying to configure my computer so i can get the best speed out ot
    |>it...I recently had Broadband internet installed, so need the like of a
    |>Firewall(Zone Alarm), antivirus(at the moment use a free one from
    |>www.download.com)and a pop up stopper,to come on as soon as i start up
    |>my computer....now these seem to take ages to load in, but i do have
    |>them installed in different hard drives....would it be quicker to keep
    |>all of my "Startup" progs in one place...and would it be better if it
    |>was on my "c" drive where windows is installed..!!

    I had issues with ZoneAlarm on another system, it took forever to
    load. Watch your system tray, if ZA is the last to show up as an icon,
    go to a different version or program.

    You can also disable themes and go with windows classic saves a lot of
    CPU overhead.
    --

    http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf

    Trax, Aug 26, 2005
  7. Harrison Guest

    On 26 Aug 2005 06:34:22 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi yes,sorry i should have included my specs...my sys comprises of a
    >1.3gb board, with 512 mb ram, running win xp
    >
    >Michael

    Upgrading to 1024 RAM would help.
    Also follow instructions regarding moving the swap (paging) file to the fastest disk.
    If both drives are the same speed, move it to the non-system disk.

    Try isolate the program causing the problems by disabling them in msconfig and the re-enable one by one.

    Harrison, Aug 26, 2005