Start-Up Problem, etc.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jan 10, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Always something new, i guess.
    Running XP.

    New problem seems to be happening.

    On bootingup, everything seems normal during the process;
    normal screen(s) appear, etc.
    Then, it gets to the last stage where the desktop and its icons usually
    appear.

    But now, quite often, the desktop has no icons. I have a solid color (blue)
    for a background, and just this solid color appears.

    Everything on the PC is also frozen.

    The bar on the bottom with its startup icons, etc., Is there, however.

    Can't shut down normally, either.
    Have to press the on/off power button, and totally shut PC off via this
    button

    Sometimes it takes several re-boots before things work normally.
    Then, everything seems to work just fine, as it normally did.

    No new programs loaded, at least on purpose.
    Use AVG virus scan religiously.

    Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Jan 10, 2007

  2. Robert11

    Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote:

    >On bootingup, everything seems normal during the process;
    >normal screen(s) appear, etc.
    >Then, it gets to the last stage where the desktop and its icons usually
    >appear.
    >
    >But now, quite often, the desktop has no icons. I have a solid color (blue)
    >for a background, and just this solid color appears.
    >
    > Everything on the PC is also frozen.

    Maybe not, Press the WinKey+R <type in> Explorer <enter>

    That sometimes works for this problem.

    --
    http://verystrangenews.com/?p=34

    , Jan 10, 2007

  3. Robert11

    Vanguard Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > Always something new, i guess.
    > Running XP.
    >
    > New problem seems to be happening.
    >
    > On bootingup, everything seems normal during the process;
    > normal screen(s) appear, etc.
    > Then, it gets to the last stage where the desktop and its icons
    > usually appear.
    >
    > But now, quite often, the desktop has no icons. I have a solid color
    > (blue) for a background, and just this solid color appears.
    >
    > Everything on the PC is also frozen.
    >
    > The bar on the bottom with its startup icons, etc., Is there, however.
    >
    > Can't shut down normally, either.
    > Have to press the on/off power button, and totally shut PC off via
    > this button
    >
    > Sometimes it takes several re-boots before things work normally.
    > Then, everything seems to work just fine, as it normally did.
    >
    > No new programs loaded, at least on purpose.
    > Use AVG virus scan religiously.
    >
    > Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Create a new admin-level account and see what happens when you log into
    it. And stop using the Administrator account as your account. The
    Administrator is NEVER to be used except in dire emergencies. Account
    profiles *do* get corrupted so if you lose the only admin-level account
    that you have then you get the joy of reinstallation.

    Vanguard, Jan 10, 2007