    that are available that seem not to be readily documented?

    --
    Dave C.

    Dave C., Mar 12, 2006

  2. Dave C.

    Eli Coten Guest

    Dave C. wrote:
    > I recently read about a tool called System File Checker and can be run by
    > "start>run> scf /scannnow" and it will check system files and dll's and
    > repair where necessary.
    >
    > Anyone use this with any success?
    >
    > Also, are there other tools (or a listing of) that can run with Start>run
    > that are available that seem not to be readily documented?

    Yes it checks the integrity of your Windows files - what do you want it for?

    Eli

    Eli Coten, Mar 12, 2006

  3. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    Thanks, Eli, I do not need it, but after reading about it in a short
    newspaper article, I thought I'd put it aside in my arsenal in the unlikely
    event that I might need it....and I am not sure if I would need it at all.
    There may be other ways to fix things. I will not run it....who knows if
    there are any side reactions.

    --
    Dave C.

    Dave C., Mar 12, 2006
  4. Dave C.

    Angie Guest

    when I put in

    scf /scannnow

    it says it is not a valid command, or cannot be found

    Angie, Mar 13, 2006
  5. Dave C.

    k35454 Guest

    "Angie" <> wrote in message
    when I put in

    scf /scannnow

    it says it is not a valid command, or cannot be found

    2 problems: (1) should it be scf as above, or sfc which is a valid command.
    (2) I tried it both ways on W98SE, not valid.
    k35454.

    k35454, Mar 13, 2006
  6. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    My typo error, should be sfc /scannow with a space between the sfc and /.
    (SFC = System File Checker)

    The article speaks only in terms of XP so it might be specific to XP (or
    maybe NT too).

    Quoting a sentence; "When SFC runs on some computers, a dialog box appears
    and asks you insert the Windows XP CD-ROM, the original XP disc."

    I have the article scanned (gif) and can sent it to anyone who sends me
    their email address.
    --
    Dave C.

    Dave C., Mar 13, 2006
  7. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    Oh yes, you will need to post your address here in the news group. My
    address is not valid.
    --
    Dave C.

    Dave C., Mar 13, 2006
  8. Dave C.

    Eli Coten Guest

    k35454 wrote:
    > "Angie" <> wrote in message
    > when I put in
    >
    > scf /scannnow
    >
    > it says it is not a valid command, or cannot be found
    >
    > 2 problems: (1) should it be scf as above, or sfc which is a valid command.
    > (2) I tried it both ways on W98SE, not valid.
    > k35454.

    Windows 98SE has a similar tool and whilst my earlier directions were
    intended at Windows 2000/XP/2003, if do on a Windows 98 Machine - start,
    run "sfc" then you will find something similar that appears to do the
    same job

    Hope this helps,
    Eli

    Eli Coten, Mar 13, 2006
  9. Dave C.

    k35454 Guest

    "Eli Coten" <> wrote in message
    k35454 wrote:
    > "Angie" <> wrote in message
    > when I put in
    >
    > scf /scannnow
    >
    > it says it is not a valid command, or cannot be found
    >
    > 2 problems: (1) should it be scf as above, or sfc which is a valid

    command.
    > (2) I tried it both ways on W98SE, not valid.
    > k35454.

    Windows 98SE has a similar tool and whilst my earlier directions were
    intended at Windows 2000/XP/2003, if do on a Windows 98 Machine - start,
    run "sfc" then you will find something similar that appears to do the
    same job
    ... NOTE: I have run sfc many times ok, it is the sfc /scannow
    that I queried. Thanks. k35454.
    Hope this helps,
    Eli

    News==----