start Prog A then B

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mr fake, May 16, 2006.

  1. Mr fake

    Mr fake Guest

    Hi..

    I'd like a few things to happen automatically when a computer power is
    turned on. Theres two programs.... program A and program B. These two
    programs need Windows XP to run.

    Heres what I need to happen.

    1)
    Person turns on power to computer

    2)
    Windows XP starts up

    3)
    Program A starts up and sends some important data to some hardware.

    4)
    a small delay OR wait here untill program A has loaded completly

    5)
    Close program A

    6)
    Start program B

    7)
    Computer remains on untill person shuts down Windows & computer.

    Any ideas???? thanks...
    Tane M

    Real email t a n e @ m u g w h y - d o t - c o m
    Mr fake, May 16, 2006

  2. In article <1147780542.748314@athnrd02>, says...
    > Hi..
    >
    > I'd like a few things to happen automatically when a computer power is
    > turned on. Theres two programs.... program A and program B. These two
    > programs need Windows XP to run.
    >

    > Heres what I need to happen.
    >
    > 1)
    > Person turns on power to computer
    >
    > 2)
    > Windows XP starts up
    >
    > 3)
    > Program A starts up and sends some important data to some hardware.
    >
    > 4)
    > a small delay OR wait here untill program A has loaded completly
    >
    > 5)
    > Close program A
    >
    > 6)
    > Start program B
    >
    > 7)
    > Computer remains on untill person shuts down Windows & computer.
    >
    > Any ideas???? thanks...
    > Tane M
    >
    > Real email t a n e @ m u g w h y - d o t - c o m

    Can be done. You need to find a Delphi or C programmer who will write a program
    for you that does this. The program starts your proggy A, fields the output and
    does the data transaction, then shuts down your proggy A and starts B. I've
    done something very similar a number of years back but I'd spend a week or so
    retrieving the know-how, and I don't have the time at the moment in any event.

    h.t.h. -Peter

    Peter Huebner, May 16, 2006

  3. Mr fake

    JohnO Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <1147780542.748314@athnrd02>, says...
    > > Hi..
    > >
    > > I'd like a few things to happen automatically when a computer power is
    > > turned on. Theres two programs.... program A and program B. These two
    > > programs need Windows XP to run.
    > >

    > > Heres what I need to happen.
    > >
    > > 1)
    > > Person turns on power to computer
    > >
    > > 2)
    > > Windows XP starts up
    > >
    > > 3)
    > > Program A starts up and sends some important data to some hardware.
    > >
    > > 4)
    > > a small delay OR wait here untill program A has loaded completly
    > >
    > > 5)
    > > Close program A
    > >
    > > 6)
    > > Start program B
    > >
    > > 7)
    > > Computer remains on untill person shuts down Windows & computer.
    > >
    > > Any ideas???? thanks...
    > > Tane M
    > >
    > > Real email t a n e @ m u g w h y - d o t - c o m
    > >

    > Can be done. You need to find a Delphi or C programmer who will write a program
    > for you that does this. The program starts your proggy A, fields the output and
    > does the data transaction, then shuts down your proggy A and starts B. I've
    > done something very similar a number of years back but I'd spend a week or so
    > retrieving the know-how, and I don't have the time at the moment in any event.
    >
    > h.t.h. -Peter

    > firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

    No need for a comiled program - these sort of things are best done with
    a simple batch or vbs script.
    JohnO, May 16, 2006
  4. Mr fake

    Shane Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    >> In article <1147780542.748314@athnrd02>, says...
    >> > Hi..
    >> >
    >> > I'd like a few things to happen automatically when a computer power is
    >> > turned on. Theres two programs.... program A and program B. These two
    >> > programs need Windows XP to run.
    >> >

    >> > Heres what I need to happen.
    >> >
    >> > 1)
    >> > Person turns on power to computer
    >> >
    >> > 2)
    >> > Windows XP starts up
    >> >
    >> > 3)
    >> > Program A starts up and sends some important data to some hardware.
    >> >
    >> > 4)
    >> > a small delay OR wait here untill program A has loaded completly
    >> >
    >> > 5)
    >> > Close program A
    >> >
    >> > 6)
    >> > Start program B
    >> >
    >> > 7)
    >> > Computer remains on untill person shuts down Windows & computer.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas???? thanks...
    >> > Tane M
    >> >
    >> > Real email t a n e @ m u g w h y - d o t - c o m
    >> >

    >> Can be done. You need to find a Delphi or C programmer who will write a
    >> program for you that does this. The program starts your proggy A, fields
    >> the output and does the data transaction, then shuts down your proggy A
    >> and starts B. I've done something very similar a number of years back but
    >> I'd spend a week or so retrieving the know-how, and I don't have the time
    >> at the moment in any event.
    >>
    >> h.t.h. -Peter
    >>

    >> --
    >> firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

    > No need for a comiled program - these sort of things are best done with
    > a simple batch or vbs script.

    will task scheduler run scripts at a certain point after boot, or only at
    certain times of the day?

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6
    Shane, May 16, 2006
  5. Mr fake

    JohnO Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    >

    > > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > >> In article <1147780542.748314@athnrd02>, says...

    > >> Can be done. You need to find a Delphi or C programmer who will write a
    > >> program for you that does this. The program starts your proggy A, fields
    > >> the output and does the data transaction, then shuts down your proggy A
    > >> and starts B. I've done something very similar a number of years back but
    > >> I'd spend a week or so retrieving the know-how, and I don't have the time
    > >> at the moment in any event.
    > >>
    > >> h.t.h. -Peter
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> =========================================
    > >> firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

    > > No need for a comiled program - these sort of things are best done with
    > > a simple batch or vbs script.

    > will task scheduler run scripts at a certain point after boot, or only at

    Only the latter AFAIK. The OP just needs to set up his script as a
    startup job.
    JohnO, May 16, 2006
  6. In article <>, johno1234
    @gmail.com says...

    > No need for a comiled program - these sort of things are best done with
    > a simple batch or vbs script.

    Yes, I hadn't really thought of that (except how I was able to do it directly
    in Amiga DOS in the startup script) - probably because I have scripting host
    disabled as a matter of course on my Mickey$oft os machines.

    Maybe find an implementation of rexx ('dirty' scripting language that was
    developed just for this kind of application) that will run under XP?

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, May 17, 2006
  7. http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/rexx/win32/rxusrw32.htm

    Seems to have all kinds of rexx goodies!

    I'd go with this over vbs any day of the week, not at least for security
    reasons (heard of any rexx script hacking attempts lately?) <g>

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, May 17, 2006
  8. Mr fake

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/rexx/win32/rxusrw32.htm
    >
    >Seems to have all kinds of rexx goodies!
    >
    >I'd go with this over vbs any day of the week, not at least for security
    >reasons (heard of any rexx script hacking attempts lately?) <g>

    Second the suggestion. Note that thee are several free REXX interpreters
    available for Windows (and Linux and others), including the big one - Open
    Object REXX, developed (and originally sold) by IBM and recently released as
    an Open Source project (see sourceforge.net). If you're more comfortable
    with Pascal than C, you'll probably prefer REXX over Perl.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, May 17, 2006