Start of Daylight Time: Have you changed your camera clocks?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gary Edstrom, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. Gary Edstrom

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your pictures,
    remember to set the clock in your still and/or video camera to the
    correct time.

    Other clocks to consider:

    VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX
    Air Conditioning Thermostat

    Gary

    P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
    never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
    convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
    now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
    have it here!

    --
    Gary Edstrom <>
    Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
    Gary Edstrom, Apr 4, 2004

  2. Gary Edstrom

    Dave Head Guest

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:42:30 GMT, Gary Edstrom <> wrote:

    >For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your pictures,
    >remember to set the clock in your still and/or video camera to the
    >correct time.
    >
    >Other clocks to consider:
    >
    >VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX
    >Air Conditioning Thermostat
    >
    >Gary
    >
    >P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
    >never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
    >convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
    >now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
    >have it here!

    Yes, my camera needed corrected. Computer, VCR did not. As for the microwave
    and VCR, I don't even bother to try to keep them on time because here, in rural
    Virginia, the power goes off so often, all you get done is resetting the dang
    clocks. The microwave, one VCR, and the stereo CD burner don't have battery
    backup. They are left to blink. I tried to do a 1 week "burn in" of a
    computer I suspected of having a memory problem, started Sunday, and sure
    enough, sometime Tuesday afternoon, the power went out and the computer died.
    Gave up on the burning-in idea. That computer seems to work fine, tho.

    Dumb idea? Hell no - I now get another hour of daylight after work to mow the
    lawn, build things outside (usually having to do with ham radio antennas,
    towers, etc.) and TAKE PICTURES. Its surprising how difficult it is to take
    pictures outside after the sun sets!!! <G> With that extra hour, it is "worth
    it" to jump in the car, go somewhere that something interesting or pretty is
    happening or is present, and take a picture. In the winter, without DST, you
    jump in the car, get to wherever it is, and have 1/2 hour of mostly red
    sunlight before you can't snap any more.

    DST is the best thing to happen to America since the constitution. Not a dumb
    idea at all.

    Dave Head
    Dave Head, Apr 4, 2004

  3. Gary Edstrom

    Jerry Guest

    Thank you, I just changed mine had you not reminded me I might have forgot.

    Jerry
    Jerry, Apr 4, 2004
  4. "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you, I just changed mine had you not reminded me I might have

    forgot.

    > Jerry

    You guys are a week behind! The rest of the world changed at the end of
    March!

    (Well, at least Europe did.....)

    David
    David J Taylor, Apr 4, 2004
  5. Gary Edstrom

    Jeremy Guest

    "Gary Edstrom" <> wrote in message

    > Other clocks to consider:
    >
    > VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX
    > Air Conditioning Thermostat

    PS:

    Don't forget coffeemakers, for those of us that like our coffee made
    automatically every morning! Also, change any closks on your stoves/ovens

    Excellent post. Thanks for the tips.
    Jeremy, Apr 4, 2004
  6. Gary Edstrom

    Zebedee Guest

    "Jeremy" <> wrote in message
    > PS:
    >
    > Don't forget coffeemakers, for those of us that like our coffee made
    > automatically every morning! Also, change any closks on your stoves/ovens
    >
    > Excellent post. Thanks for the tips.

    Most digital cameras need the clock to be set every time the battery is
    changed. My 3100 and 995 both do.

    And don't forget the toaster. You don't want your toast an hour late ;-)

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)
    Zebedee, Apr 4, 2004
  7. Gary Edstrom

    Don Guest

    Or move to Arizona.

    Don

    Don, Apr 4, 2004
  8. Hi Don,

    There is another problem in Arizona...) I'm already here and my camera
    changes summer/winter time automatically...)

    Dmitri.
    Dmitri Shvetsov, Apr 4, 2004
  9. Gary Edstrom

    Chris Guest

    > For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your pictures,
    > remember to set the clock in your still and/or video camera to the
    > correct time.
    >
    > Other clocks to consider:
    >
    > VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX
    > Air Conditioning Thermostat
    >
    > Gary
    >
    > P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
    > never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
    > convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
    > now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
    > have it here!

    I almost never touch my camera clock, unless I've actually got a time stamp
    to imbed.
    Chris, Apr 4, 2004
  10. Gary Edstrom

    dc Guest

    I changed the time stamp for my camcorder WHILE videotaping, so my videotape
    would last 60 minutes longer!

    Doug
    Oakland, CA

    ---
    dc, Apr 5, 2004
  11. Gary Edstrom

    Ron Bean Guest

    Dave Head <> writes:

    >Dumb idea? Hell no - I now get another hour of daylight after work to mow the
    >lawn, build things outside (usually having to do with ham radio antennas,
    >towers, etc.) and TAKE PICTURES.

    >DST is the best thing to happen to America since the constitution. Not a dumb
    >idea at all.

    I've heard a claim that DST killed the drive-in movie business.
    It doesn't get dark enough to show a movie outside until almost
    10pm, and people don't want to wait that long.

    Apparently some states didn't have DST until sometime in the
    1960s (Indiana and Arizona still don't).
    Ron Bean, Apr 5, 2004
  12. Gary Edstrom

    Dave Head Guest

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 03:24:09 -0000, (Ron Bean) wrote:

    >Dave Head <> writes:
    >
    >>Dumb idea? Hell no - I now get another hour of daylight after work to mow the
    >>lawn, build things outside (usually having to do with ham radio antennas,
    >>towers, etc.) and TAKE PICTURES.

    >>DST is the best thing to happen to America since the constitution. Not a dumb
    >>idea at all.

    >I've heard a claim that DST killed the drive-in movie business.

    I think it did, to some extent.

    >It doesn't get dark enough to show a movie outside until almost
    >10pm, and people don't want to wait that long.

    Well, it gets dark enough, here in Virginia on the eastern side of the eastern
    time zone, to show drive-in movies at about 8:30, where they used to show 'em
    in Ohio before DST. Guess what? Still no drive-ins left. Its more than DST
    that killed the drive-ins.

    Think about going to a drive-in in a '60s car, with tons of room, and a modern
    car that is small, and with bucket seats to restrict movement even further.
    Then, there's the sound system in a theater, compared to that little speaker at
    the drive-in. Movies have become spectacles, with lots of special effects and
    really great sound / music to match. A lot of the drive-ins caught onto that
    in their last few years of existence, and offered radio signals to use the
    car's stereo to deliver the movie audio, but it was likely too little too late.

    >Apparently some states didn't have DST until sometime in the
    >1960s (Indiana and Arizona still don't).

    Yeah, I think Ohio was as late as, or later than the 60's - not sure. Don't
    remember when we got it in Ohio, actually.

    Dave Head
    Dave Head, Apr 5, 2004
  13. On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 03:35:28 GMT, Dave Head <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 03:24:09 -0000, (Ron Bean) wrote:
    >

    >>Dave Head <> writes:
    >>
    >>>Dumb idea? Hell no - I now get another hour of daylight after work to mow the
    >>>lawn, build things outside (usually having to do with ham radio antennas,
    >>>towers, etc.) and TAKE PICTURES.

    >>>DST is the best thing to happen to America since the constitution. Not a dumb
    >>>idea at all.

    >>I've heard a claim that DST killed the drive-in movie business.

    >I think it did, to some extent.
    >
    >>It doesn't get dark enough to show a movie outside until almost
    >>10pm, and people don't want to wait that long.

    >Well, it gets dark enough, here in Virginia on the eastern side of the eastern
    >time zone, to show drive-in movies at about 8:30, where they used to show 'em
    >in Ohio before DST. Guess what? Still no drive-ins left. Its more than DST
    >that killed the drive-ins.
    >
    >Think about going to a drive-in in a '60s car, with tons of room, and a modern
    >car that is small, and with bucket seats to restrict movement even further.
    >Then, there's the sound system in a theater, compared to that little speaker at
    >the drive-in. Movies have become spectacles, with lots of special effects and
    >really great sound / music to match. A lot of the drive-ins caught onto that
    >in their last few years of existence, and offered radio signals to use the
    >car's stereo to deliver the movie audio, but it was likely too little too late.

    Not to mention the cars would have dead batteries by the time the
    flick was over.
    Harry Edwards, Apr 5, 2004
  14. Gary Edstrom

    C J Campbell Guest

    Well, I suppose you could just leave your camera clock on Zulu time.
    C J Campbell, Apr 5, 2004
  15. "Dave Head" wrote:

    > (snip) Think about going to a drive-in
    > in a '60s car, with tons of room, and a
    > modern car that is small, and with
    > bucket seats to restrict movement
    > even further. (snip)

    The price of land, and taxes on that land, were other significate factors.
    Lets face it, a parking lot where cars can be parked nose to nose and closer
    together is a more efficient use of the land (and perhaps more profitable
    with today's parking fees and customers over a longer period of the day).

    Adult content in many modern movies was another factor. Residents in
    surrounding neighborhoods didn't want their kids to watch adult content
    while playing in the front or back yard (or while looking out their bedroom
    window). Drive-ins were faced with either not showing the latest movie or
    dealing with endless complaints (and laws passed in some areas to address
    this).

    Cable television, with many more channels than local broadcast television,
    was another small factor.

    Changing social morals were also a factor. In the 50's and early 60's, a
    drive-in was the only place for a couple to be alone (with a good excuse
    anyway). By the late 60's and 70's, few couples needed an excuse to be alone
    anymore - they could just move in together.

    In the end, a lot of things came together to put the drive-in out of
    business. I still think one can be done succesfully, but that is tempered by
    the fact that a more profitable use could easily be found for that same
    land.

    Dwight Stewart

    http://www.qsl.net/w5net/
    Dwight Stewart, Apr 5, 2004
  16. Gary Edstrom

    BFane Guest

    Dmitri Shvetsov <> wrote:
    > Hi Don,
    >
    > There is another problem in Arizona...) I'm already here and my camera
    > changes summer/winter time automatically...)
    >
    > Dmitri.

    I've got the same problem here in Indiana. Got one of those really slick wall
    clocks what resets itself based on the atomic clocks. Dern thing was an hour
    fast yesterday.

    What's funny is that we have people around here that figure that we don't
    observe DST so that the politicians can bring it up a couple of times per
    year to distract the population from bigger issues like the economy. We do
    tend to be a distractable lot here in the Midwest...

    Oh, look... something shiny!
    BFane, Apr 5, 2004
  17. In article <>, lid
    says...
    > Dmitri Shvetsov <> wrote:
    > > Hi Don,
    > >
    > > There is another problem in Arizona...) I'm already here and my camera
    > > changes summer/winter time automatically...)
    > >
    > > Dmitri.

    > I've got the same problem here in Indiana. Got one of those really slick wall
    > clocks what resets itself based on the atomic clocks. Dern thing was an hour
    > fast yesterday.

    Check the clock's manual. Some have settings to ignore DST changes.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross
    Andrew Rossmann, Apr 5, 2004
  18. Gary Edstrom

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dave Head wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:42:30 GMT, Gary Edstrom <> wrote:
    >

    >>For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your pictures,
    >>remember to set the clock in your still and/or video camera to the
    >>correct time.
    >>
    >>Other clocks to consider:
    >>
    >>VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX
    >>Air Conditioning Thermostat
    >>
    >>Gary
    >>
    >>P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
    >>never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
    >>convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
    >>now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
    >>have it here!

    > Yes, my camera needed corrected. Computer, VCR did not. As for the microwave
    > and VCR, I don't even bother to try to keep them on time because here, in rural
    > Virginia, the power goes off so often, all you get done is resetting the dang
    > clocks. The microwave, one VCR, and the stereo CD burner don't have battery
    > backup. They are left to blink. I tried to do a 1 week "burn in" of a
    > computer I suspected of having a memory problem, started Sunday, and sure
    > enough, sometime Tuesday afternoon, the power went out and the computer died.
    > Gave up on the burning-in idea. That computer seems to work fine, tho.
    >
    > Dumb idea? Hell no - I now get another hour of daylight after work to mow the
    > lawn, build things outside (usually having to do with ham radio antennas,
    > towers, etc.) and TAKE PICTURES. Its surprising how difficult it is to take
    > pictures outside after the sun sets!!! <G> With that extra hour, it is "worth
    > it" to jump in the car, go somewhere that something interesting or pretty is
    > happening or is present, and take a picture. In the winter, without DST, you
    > jump in the car, get to wherever it is, and have 1/2 hour of mostly red
    > sunlight before you can't snap any more.
    >
    > DST is the best thing to happen to America since the constitution. Not a dumb
    > idea at all.
    >
    > Dave Head

    Back in the dark ages, before Daylight Savings Time, we actually managed
    to do all those things. WE had something called 'summer hours'. Stores
    opened an hour early, and closed an hour early, and no one had to MESS
    WITH THE CLOCKS!
    Ron Hunter, Apr 6, 2004
  19. Gary Edstrom

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: Ron Hunter
    Date: Tue, Apr 6, 2004 5:52 PM

    Dave Head wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:42:30 GMT, Gary Edstrom <> wrote:
    >

    >>For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your pictures,
    >>remember to set the clock in your still and/or video camera to the
    >>correct time.
    >>
    >>Other clocks to consider:
    >>
    >>VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX
    >>Air Conditioning Thermostat
    >>
    >>Gary
    >>
    >>P.S: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so that I would
    >>never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to mentally
    >>convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture. 2. Yes, I
    >>now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you going to do? We
    >>have it here!

    > Yes, my camera needed corrected. Computer, VCR did not. As for the

    microwave
    > and VCR, I don't even bother to try to keep them on time because here, in

    rural
    > Virginia, the power goes off so often, all you get done is resetting the dang
    > clocks. The microwave, one VCR, and the stereo CD burner don't have battery
    > backup. They are left to blink. I tried to do a 1 week "burn in" of a
    > computer I suspected of having a memory problem, started Sunday, and sure
    > enough, sometime Tuesday afternoon, the power went out and the computer died.
    > Gave up on the burning-in idea. That computer seems to work fine, tho.
    >
    > Dumb idea? Hell no - I now get another hour of daylight after work to mow

    the
    > lawn, build things outside (usually having to do with ham radio antennas,
    > towers, etc.) and TAKE PICTURES. Its surprising how difficult it is to take
    > pictures outside after the sun sets!!! <G> With that extra hour, it is

    "worth
    > it" to jump in the car, go somewhere that something interesting or pretty is
    > happening or is present, and take a picture. In the winter, without DST, you
    > jump in the car, get to wherever it is, and have 1/2 hour of mostly red
    > sunlight before you can't snap any more.
    >
    > DST is the best thing to happen to America since the constitution. Not a

    dumb
    > idea at all.
    >
    > Dave Head

    Back in the dark ages, before Daylight Savings Time, we actually managed
    to do all those things. WE had something called 'summer hours'. Stores
    opened an hour early, and closed an hour early, and no one had to MESS
    WITH THE CLOCKS!
    >><BR><BR>

    My Canon G3, Zire 71 PDA, and Verizon Cell phone all reset themselves
    correctly. Isn’t technology great?
    FredBillie, Apr 7, 2004
  20. Gary Edstrom

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 03:24:09 -0000, (Ron Bean) wrote:
    >

    >>Dave Head <> writes:
    >>
    >>>Dumb idea? Hell no - I now get another hour of daylight after work to mow

    > the
    >>>lawn, build things outside (usually having to do with ham radio antennas,
    >>>towers, etc.) and TAKE PICTURES.

    >>>DST is the best thing to happen to America since the constitution. Not a

    > dumb
    >>>idea at all.

    >>I've heard a claim that DST killed the drive-in movie business.

    >I think it did, to some extent.
    >
    >>It doesn't get dark enough to show a movie outside until almost
    >>10pm, and people don't want to wait that long.

    >Well, it gets dark enough, here in Virginia on the eastern side of the eastern
    >time zone, to show drive-in movies at about 8:30, where they used to show 'em
    >in Ohio before DST. Guess what? Still no drive-ins left. Its more than DST
    >that killed the drive-ins.
    >
    >Think about going to a drive-in in a '60s car, with tons of room, and a modern
    >car that is small, and with bucket seats to restrict movement even further.
    >Then, there's the sound system in a theater, compared to that little speaker at
    >the drive-in. Movies have become spectacles, with lots of special effects and
    >really great sound / music to match. A lot of the drive-ins caught onto that
    >in their last few years of existence, and offered radio signals to use the
    >car's stereo to deliver the movie audio, but it was likely too little too late.

    Dude, you DONT go to a drive in movie to watch the movie!!!!!!

    The part about the cars being to small nowadays sure sucks, plus the fact that
    they will nail you for public exposure if you and your date get caught!!!

    GMAN, Apr 8, 2004