start my own newsgroup?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert Ranson, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. Sorry for the newbie question - can I start my own newsgroup? if so then could anyone tell me how?
    Robert Ranson, Jan 21, 2004

  2. Robert Ranson

    Boomer Guest

    "Robert Ranson" <> wrote in
    news:fslPb.5494$:

    > Sorry for the newbie question - can I start my own newsgroup? if
    > so then could anyone tell me how?

    [snip]
    > how?</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

    Turn OFF the HTML when posting to a plain text news group, please!

    Do you own a sever for *your* group?

    If not, read this _very_carefully.
    http://www.nylon.net/alt/newgroup.htm

    Or the _easiest_ way to make your very own *group*:
    http://groups.msn.com
    http://www.voy.com/
    http://www.yabbforum.com/
    http://www.xsorbit.com/products_home.html

    And here:
    http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nnqlinks.html
    Boomer, Jan 21, 2004

  3. Robert Ranson

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:27:24 -0500, Robert Ranson wrote:

    >Sorry for the newbie question - can I start my own newsgroup? if so then could anyone tell me how?

    First, turn off the HTML. This is a plain-text newsgroup. Then, go here:

    http://users.rcn.com/kateshort/nnq/ncreate.html

    --
    If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once
    in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things. --Rene Descartes
    Mara, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Robert Ranson wrote:

    > Sorry for the newbie question - can I start my own newsgroup? if so then
    > could anyone tell me how?

    First, turn off the HTML.

    The next thing you need is two whole chickens. Live. Not dead. Preferably
    angry. (Angry chickens help with group propagation to the servers. No one
    knows why.)

    Next you will need a portion of suitable incense to burn during the creation
    ceremony. Sandalwood is nice.

    You will also have to pay special attention to the required ritual dress.
    Bare feet. Grass skirt. Mask hand carved of ebony. Two feathers of the
    phoenix affixed to the brow of the mask such that when worn they appear to
    be angled from the head in a forward leaning direction at approximately 45
    degrees.

    2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour.
    Salt (to taste).
    Hot oil.
    Ceremonial knife.

    Begin by dressing up in the ceremonial garb. Go outside just after dark to
    your front lawn. If you don't have a lawn then the street in front of your
    place of residence will do. The key is that it *must be* a public place
    adjacent to your home and neighbors.

    Light the incense. Kill both chickens and smear the blood across all of your
    exposed skin.

    Now grab both fowl by the feet, one to each hand, turn in circles forty
    three and one half times exactly whilst chanting the name of your proposed
    group in reverse.

    Lather.

    Rinse.

    Repeat.

    Pluck, gut, clean and cut chicken into serving size pieces, coat with flour,
    season with salt and fry.

    Wait two weeks and check usenet to see if your new group has propagated. If
    not ... then go to http://www.google.com and search for "How do I start a
    newsgroup?"

    [Originally posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk by Oxford Systems. This version
    has been slightly edited.]

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 22, 2004