    Anyone any ideas please?

    Many thanks.

    Ian.
    Ian Edmont, Jul 25, 2006

  2. Ian Edmont

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Ian Edmont wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just tried to click on the Windows Update link through the Start Menu
    > (Windows 2000) and nothing happens.
    >
    > Checked the shortcut and it points to C:\WINNT\system32\wupdmgr.exe so
    > nothing wrong there from what I gather. Deleted and re-created the
    > shortcut and still the same. Windows Update does work in IE6 however.
    >
    > Anyone any ideas please?
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Ian.

    So? Delete the current link from the start menu, create a new one from IE,
    and put it in the start menu. Problem successfully circumvented.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 26, 2006

  3. Ian Edmont

    Ian Edmont Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Ian Edmont wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Just tried to click on the Windows Update link through the Start Menu
    > > (Windows 2000) and nothing happens.
    > >
    > > Checked the shortcut and it points to C:\WINNT\system32\wupdmgr.exe so
    > > nothing wrong there from what I gather. Deleted and re-created the
    > > shortcut and still the same. Windows Update does work in IE6 however.
    > >
    > > Anyone any ideas please?
    > >
    > > Many thanks.
    > >
    > > Ian.

    > So? Delete the current link from the start menu, create a new one from IE,
    > and put it in the start menu. Problem successfully circumvented.
    >
    > --
    > Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh. ~Doctor Who~

    errrm ... how do you create a new link from IE?

    I dont want to circumvent the problem. I would like to know what has
    possible caused it and apply the 'correct' fix!?!?

    Ian.
    Ian Edmont, Jul 26, 2006
  4. You should get an update from windows update that will solve the problem.
    It replaces the old version of your windows update with a new one. Just
    keep going back to that update site until it tells you there are no more
    updates for your computer. Then try the link for windows update in your
    programs list and see if that works. If not you may find help here.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833766/en-us

    Randall Smith, Jul 26, 2006
  5. Ian Edmont

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Ian Edmont wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Ian Edmont wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Just tried to click on the Windows Update link through the Start
    >>> Menu (Windows 2000) and nothing happens.
    >>>
    >>> Checked the shortcut and it points to C:\WINNT\system32\wupdmgr.exe
    >>> so nothing wrong there from what I gather. Deleted and re-created
    >>> the shortcut and still the same. Windows Update does work in IE6
    >>> however.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone any ideas please?
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Ian.

    >> So? Delete the current link from the start menu, create a new one
    >> from IE, and put it in the start menu. Problem successfully
    >> circumvented.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh. ~Doctor Who~
    >>

    > errrm ... how do you create a new link from IE?

    That's EASY. See the little "e" icon in the IE address bar? Drag that to
    your desktop. Instant shortcut. I do it ALL the time - quick and easy for
    "short-term" bookmarks. I often don't want a site in my Favorites, since
    when I get done with a project, I won't need it anymore. If I leave the link
    on my desktop, it reminds me to finish what I started, and delete the link
    when I'm done.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 26, 2006
  6. Ian Edmont

    Ian Edmont Guest

    "Ian Edmont" <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > > Ian Edmont wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Just tried to click on the Windows Update link through the Start Menu
    > > > (Windows 2000) and nothing happens.
    > > >
    > > > Checked the shortcut and it points to C:\WINNT\system32\wupdmgr.exe so
    > > > nothing wrong there from what I gather. Deleted and re-created the
    > > > shortcut and still the same. Windows Update does work in IE6 however.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone any ideas please?
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks.
    > > >
    > > > Ian.

    > > So? Delete the current link from the start menu, create a new one from

    IE,
    > > and put it in the start menu. Problem successfully circumvented.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh. ~Doctor Who~
    > >

    > errrm ... how do you create a new link from IE?
    >
    > I dont want to circumvent the problem. I would like to know what has
    > possible caused it and apply the 'correct' fix!?!?
    >
    > Ian.

    Thanks for the replies guys

    Ian.
    Ian Edmont, Jul 26, 2006
  7. If you haven't solved getting the Windows Update link to work yet ... post
    and let me know.
    Ian Edmont's solution only creates another IE shortcut link ... it does
    nothing for your problem.

    I assume that you want a Windows Update button to do it's job ... not just
    open IE.
    You nned to force Windows Update to rebuild itself ... and that involves
    cleaning out some folders under C:\Winnt\SoftwareDistribution\....

    Something is out of sync ... when you click on the current version of
    Windows Update button ... does anything happen?

    Have you tried having an Internet Connection open ... and then try the
    Windows Update button and see if IE opens and goes to Windows Update?

    Evelyn S. Gardner, Jul 27, 2006