Start Menu MFU list gone

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by madiyaan, Mar 19, 2009.

1. madiyaan

madiyaan

Hello:

I am using Windows XP SP2. When I changed my start menu from classic to modern, the most-frequently-used programs list did not show up.

The "pinned" programs list does not have a separator below it: it seems like there is no MFU list at all (as opposed to an empty list with no programs in it).

I have made sure that the number of frequently used programs in the start menu list is 6 (by going into the properties of start menu and customizing). I have also deleted the following registry keys:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoInstrumentation
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoStartMenuMFUProgramsList

I have also deleted those keys from HKLM. In fact no keys by that name exist in my registry at the moment. Does anyone know how to bring back the MFU programs list?

Thanks,

madiyaan, Mar 19, 2009
    1. Advertising

2. madiyaan

el_matador

pin space too long?

Could it be that the pin space is too long and takes the whole space? Either way, I have the EXACT same problem and would appreciate some help.

el_matador, Apr 19, 2009
    1. Advertising

3. madiyaan

Soda

Same thing here. Did remove both reg keys and no effect.
    Must be something else.... too bad i can't find the solution. Will probably reinstall windows... with something else of course :D
    To hell with all this settings that are not fully documented. This is one of million little things that annoy me with microsoft. They don't give a **** about options... they have a policy.... go picture solution in your mind, reality just sux.

Soda, Jun 29, 2010
  4. madiyaan

clintsb

I figured out a solution for my machine. I figured this out on my own, perhaps there is a solution online somewhere but I wasn't able to find it. Anyway here was the trick for me.
    regedit:
    Go to this location
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist

There may be two or three keys under this key. There are two keys in particular that contain the history for the MFU list. These are:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{5E6AB780-7743-11CF-A12B-00AA004AE837}
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{75048700-EF1F-11D0-9888-006097DEACF9}

Each of these keys should have a key under them called "Count". This is where the history data was kept. In my case the above keys existed but Count did not. Apparently if this gets deleted (a helpful program did it to me-grr) windows doesn't know how to restore it.

Add the "Count" key back. I then restarted at this point, necessary or not. My start window still didn't immediately show the separator line but after I launched a program everything was working again.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    clintsb, Dec 7, 2011
    1. Advertising