    Geforce 7800 GTX

    Does anyone know what the best setup would be for my virtual memory settings?
    Thanks in advanced!
    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=, Jan 9, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Sounds like the same problem I have been asking for 4 months. In my case
    when the modem connects I have the same situation. I would suggest that you
    might try what I use as an interim. Launch your task manager when things
    are working. You can shut down normally from there. Also, I use it to end
    the explorer.exe task from processes and then shift to the applications page
    and use the new task button to restart explorer.exe. If it restarts as high
    priority, I reset it to normal. This usually clears things up either right
    away, or if fixes shortly thereafter. Hope somebody comes up with a fix for
    this soon. It is a real pain, added to the OE crashing several times a day
    also.

    John Barnes, Jan 9, 2006

  3. Hard to guess, first have a look in Event Viewer to see if there are any
    errors/warnings reported on Boot, then report back.

    As for Virtual Memory, you will hear quite different good advice from
    different people. My personal preference is: go with the system settings
    (RAM x 1.5), if you have trouble jack up the number a bit untill you are
    happy. If you have numerous HD's, you should put the pagefile on the fastest
    drive. If you have more partitions on one or more drives you might set up
    one pagefile for each - I prefer one for each system, though - then you can
    forget all about pagefiles!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 9, 2006