    know what is left to do.

    Thanks,
    Pat

    pcgr1, Dec 24, 2003

  2. pcgr1

    Sultan Guest

    Pat, the best thing you can do is to reformat your hard drive and do a
    complete clean reinstall. Hopefully you have made backups of your data
    files. I usually go hole hog and delete the existing partition and recreate
    it before I reformat. I would also suggest formatting your drive into two
    partitions, one for the OS only and the other for your program and data
    files, that way next time you won't have to worry about the data- but you
    will need to reinstall your programs so Windows knows they are there.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Dec 24, 2003

  3. pcgr1

    pcgr1 Guest

    I haven't backed anything up. It's a big drive. I was hoping to prevent
    that. I will do it, but just want to get into windows first. There's gotta
    be a way. Should I try to do a reinstall? How do I delete Windows media
    player 9 and internet explorer? I read that's the reason my install didn't
    go well.

    Pat

    pcgr1, Dec 24, 2003
  4. pcgr1

    mb Guest

    I'd try the reinstall again, see if Windows fixes itself. If you don't care
    about reinstalling the programs, wipe the registry before reinstalling from
    a startup disk - that solves most problems as the registry makes most of
    windows run - you just have to reinstall programs since the registry doesn't
    know they exist, even though they would still be on the hard drive.

    mb, Dec 25, 2003
  5. pcgr1

    Sultan Guest

    pcgr1 wrote in news::

    > I haven't backed anything up. It's a big drive. I was hoping to
    > prevent that. I will do it, but just want to get into windows first.
    > There's gotta be a way. Should I try to do a reinstall? How do I
    > delete Windows media player 9 and internet explorer? I read that's the
    > reason my install didn't go well.
    >
    > Pat

    Lets start with Windows Media Player 9, you will want to read this article:
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-957704.html

    While it is not full of good news I did find others who had luck using
    McAfees Quick Clean. I have never used a McAffee product myself, I use
    Nortons Clean Sweep. If you don't have either of these do a search on
    download.com or Tucows.com for a software uninstaller.

    For getting rid of IE 6 this is a how to:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q293907

    I would be neglecting my duties as a computer tech if I didn't advise you
    to ditch ME ASAP. It has to be the worst version of Windows ever made. If
    your PC can meet the minimum system requirements I would recommend going to
    XP, just make sure you have a minimum of 256MB of Ram or your system will
    be painfully slow.

    Let me know if you have any other questions. I can be reached at
    sultanofcyber @ hotmail . com (have to keep the spammers at bay thus the
    spaces).

    Sultan

    Sultan, Dec 25, 2003
  6. pcgr1

    Juan Pérez Guest

    In news:Xns945BBBC9EA0A0sultanofcyberhotmail@209.25.157.130,
    Sultan <> typed:
    > pcgr1 wrote in news::
    >
    > > I haven't backed anything up. It's a big drive. I was hoping to
    > > prevent that. I will do it, but just want to get into windows
    > > first. There's gotta be a way. Should I try to do a reinstall?
    > > How do I delete Windows media player 9 and internet explorer? I
    > > read that's the reason my install didn't go well.
    > >
    > > Pat
    > >

    > Lets start with Windows Media Player 9, you will want to read this
    > article: http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-957704.html
    >
    > While it is not full of good news I did find others who had luck using
    > McAfees Quick Clean. I have never used a McAffee product myself, I use
    > Nortons Clean Sweep. If you don't have either of these do a search on
    > download.com or Tucows.com for a software uninstaller.
    >
    > For getting rid of IE 6 this is a how to:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q293907
    >
    > I would be neglecting my duties as a computer tech

    LOL If you "neglect your duties" I can personally assure that you won't
    get fired from this newsgroup :eek:)

    if I didn't advise
    > you to ditch ME ASAP. It has to be the worst version of Windows ever
    > made.

    McAfee and/or Norton can mess up your machine, so I read from the
    majority of regulars of this group. I have personally used neither for
    this reason.

    Juan Pérez, Dec 25, 2003
  7. pcgr1

    Sultan Guest

    Thanks Juan, I find any utility such as Clean Sweep etc can cause problems
    if the user doesn't understand fully what he/she is doing with it. The
    important thing is to backup first and remember to restore if things turn
    ugly.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Dec 25, 2003
  8. I wonder if your problem is not virus related? Because, like you, I had
    the same problem and exhausted every option I could think of except the
    one recommended, which I wound up doing: reinstalling the OS. If you're
    looking for something positive, well, you do clean out the closet. :)

    Lawrence Rottersman, Dec 25, 2003
  9. pcgr1

    Jerry G. Guest

    Backup all your user data, re-partition the drive, re-format, and
    re-install.

    I would suggest at this time, to upgrade to a better operating system. You
    will find XP to be a lot more stable. In the future, I would suggest doing
    backups of your system if you are a serious user. There are many backup
    systems out there to choose from. One good one is to use a second hard
    drive, and invest in a good backup utility.

    We found ME to be very troublesome, and not worth investing time in to it.

    If you don't have Windows compatibility issues, take a look at Linux. But,
    this will involved a lot of learning over again, and re-investment in new
    software's. Redhat is a very good flavour of Linux. There are others that
    are also very good.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    "pcgr1" <> wrote in message
    Okay, I was having problems with Windows ME updates, so reinstalled ME on
    top of Windows Me. Now my Tool bar and start menu is gone. Also gone in
    safe mode. I've tried to restore using the command line but nothing, cause I
    don't have any restore points after the reinstall. I've just finished using
    norton and no viruses. Ran scandisk, registry file checker, and now
    running defrag. I've done some reading, and I didn't delete wmp 9, Norton,
    and internet explorer 6.0 prior to the reinstall. So how can I delete these
    programs in dos. Also, how do I get my tool bar back? In safe mode, all I
    see is safe mode in all 4 corners, that's it. I've tried everything. Don't
    know what is left to do.

    Thanks,
    Pat

    Jerry G., Dec 25, 2003
  10. pcgr1

    pcgr1 Guest

    Well I got it to work! I reinstalled ME in dos mode and I got my tool bar
    back! I have to reinstall Internet explorer and Norton antivirus. I
    noticed my pc doesn't freeze anymore like it used to. I will invest in a
    good backup program. Anyone know of a good one that is free or not very
    expensive? I really dislike XP, that's why I won't buy it. Too much eye
    candy. If I change I would consider 2000. What is everyone's opinion on
    Windows 2000? Does anyone use Norton system works? What is your opinion
    on it?

    Thanks everyone,
    Pat

    pcgr1, Dec 25, 2003
  11. pcgr1

    cabinboy Guest

    Maybe a little late but are you sure it was gone? wasn't maybe just hidden at
    the bottom of the screen?(Auto-hide) if that was the case moving the mouse
    pointer at the bottom edge of your screen would have shown the task bar.
    Just a thought.

    cabinboy, Dec 29, 2003