    got the same error on restart – next I uninstalled and still I have the same
    error.

    So I have run out of ideas, thanks in advance for any help.

    Mr_JimWest, Jul 20, 2009

  2. "Mr_JimWest" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Every time I start my computer (Windows Vista SP2 32 bit) I get an error
    > “Program Compatibility Assistantâ€- tells me that StarForce Protection is
    > incompatible with this version of Windows…
    >
    > I guess I am unsure where I picked it up from in the first place

    That's not good.

    > – and I am also unsure when I started having these errors

    Oh.. I'd guess about the same time you installed Vista Service Pack 2.... ya
    think?

    > – all I know is that it been happening for a while,
    > and having to close an error every time I start up –
    > well it’s annoying!

    Annoyance may be the least of your problems if you don't know what the
    application is or where it came from.

    > I have found the driver in the Devices window – and at first disabled it –
    > got the same error on restart – next I uninstalled and still I have the
    > same
    > error.
    >
    > So I have run out of ideas, thanks in advance for any help.

    Based on your comments, I'd say you have two options:

    1. If "Starforce Protection" is a legitimate program and you wish to keep
    it, and it's not compatible with Vista Service Pack 2, then it would seem
    your only option is to uninstall Vista Service Pack 2, then engage the
    vendor of "Starforce Protection" in a conversation about where/when to get a
    copy of "Starforce Protection" that is compatible with Vista Service Pack 2.

    2. If "Starforce Protection" is not a legitimate program, or you do not wish
    to keep it, then I'd suggest uninstalling it. If it's a legit program and
    you don't wish to keep it, this should be as simple as using "Control Panel
    | Programs and Features" to remove the application. If it isn't a legitimate
    program, it may require significant effort to remove, up to (and including)
    reinstallation of Vista.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Jul 21, 2009

  3. Mr_JimWest

    Cameron Guest

    A quick check on Wikipedia tells you that "StarForce" is a software copy
    protection system designed to stop people from making and playing pirated
    games. When you install a game on you're computer that uses StarForce,
    StarForce is automatically installed with no user agreement or mention in
    the game's EULA. There is a official removal tool available on a third-party
    website that will remove the StarForce drivers permenantly.

    The tool is available here:

    http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55

    Cameron, Aug 13, 2009
  4. Mr_JimWest

    Nomad-1600 Guest

    Cameron has the right answer to the problem. There is an update tool as well
    as a removal tool. The driver will automaticly install the next time you run
    the game or application that uses it. Thats why it keeps showing up after you
    uninstall it. The removal tool will totaly remove all 4 drivers assosiated
    with StarForces Protection.

    Nomad-1600, Nov 25, 2009