    Ewan McGregor will be similarly pasted over Sir Alec's face? Has the ever
    boggling inconstancies of their character's respective ages ever even OCCURRED
    to Darth Lucas?

    Stroke of Eight, Aug 15, 2004

  2. Stroke of Eight

    Jeff Horne Guest

    << If Hayden Christensen has indeed been CGI-substituted for Sebastian Shaw
    as the elder Anakin in the new ROTJ 'special edition' DVD, does that mean
    the mug of Ewan McGregor will be similarly pasted over Sir Alec's face? >>

    Probably not. My take on this is Lucas changed the "Jedi Spirits" to they
    way they looked when they stopped being Jedi. For Obi Wan and Yoda, it was
    their deaths but for Anakin it was when he became Vader, hence the HC
    likeness.

    Jeff Horne

    Jeff Horne, Aug 15, 2004

  3. Stroke of Eight

    Nathan Guest

    the big question is how anakin grew over a foot taller even after being past
    his growing age. Darth Vader is a lot taller in the first Star Wars than in
    episode 2. Will they shrink Darth Vader on the DVD's like they did in Lord
    of the Rings?

    Nathan, Aug 16, 2004
  4. On 15 Aug 2004 22:12:33 GMT, (Stroke of Eight)
    wrote:

    >If Hayden Christensen has indeed been CGI-substituted for Sebastian Shaw as the
    >elder Anakin in the new ROTJ 'special edition' DVD, does that mean the mug of
    >Ewan McGregor will be similarly pasted over Sir Alec's face? Has the ever
    >boggling inconstancies of their character's respective ages ever even OCCURRED
    >to Darth Lucas?

    The DVD or RotJ has been circulating in some Dutch newsgroups for some
    time now and I've seen it. In case you don't want to know (and believe
    me in the first place, that is)....

    <spoiler>

    <i warned you>

    The ending has been altered, yes. Vader-without-mask is still Shaw.
    But the spirit of Anakin is now Hayden Christensen. Guiness is still
    there. Also, there is a shot of Naboo in the celebration. Vader does
    not disappear when he dies, but Yoda does (I am not sure if that was
    already in the first special edition too). Also, I am not sure if the
    shot of the people pulling down a statue of Palpatine was there
    before, but it reminded me of the footage of people pulling down the
    statue of Saddam Hussein so it could have been put in later as a
    reference.

    There are probably other more minor changes too but I did not watch
    the movie in full and I do not intend to. There is only one version I
    want and I hear it does not exist anymore. A pity, it is.

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Aug 16, 2004
  5. Stroke of Eight

    BubbCoop Guest

    <<Will they shrink Darth Vader on the DVD's like they did in Lord
    of the Rings?

    Darth Vader was in The Lord of the Rings?!

    BubbCoop, Aug 16, 2004
  6. Stroke of Eight

    John C. Chu Guest

    In article <xhRTc.2446$>,
    "Jeff Horne" <> wrote:

    > Probably not. My take on this is Lucas changed the "Jedi Spirits" to they
    > way they looked when they stopped being Jedi. For Obi Wan and Yoda, it was
    > their deaths but for Anakin it was when he became Vader, hence the HC
    > likeness.
    >
    > Jeff Horne

    Hey...now THAT makes sense. This is the first and best theory I've read.
    It is almost...logical! Great bit of reasoning...because I too, thought
    it was strange that Obi-Wan stays old forever and Anakin is going to
    stay young.

    John C. Chu, Aug 17, 2004
  7. > > Probably not. My take on this is Lucas changed the "Jedi Spirits" to
    they
    > > way they looked when they stopped being Jedi. For Obi Wan and Yoda, it

    was
    > > their deaths but for Anakin it was when he became Vader, hence the HC
    > > likeness.
    > >

    > Hey...now THAT makes sense. This is the first and best theory I've read.
    > It is almost...logical! Great bit of reasoning...because I too, thought
    > it was strange that Obi-Wan stays old forever and Anakin is going to
    > stay young.

    Lucas says exactly this on the upcoming box set. I like the idea myself a
    lot. The execution ain't so hot though...Hayden looks directly at the camera
    while Yoda and Ben look off to the side :)

    It's all on http://www.millenniumfalcon.com - including shots of the new
    Jabba and Emperor.

    --
    Matt Robinson

    Matt Robinson, Aug 17, 2004
  8. On 16 Aug 2004 21:38:38 GMT, (BubbCoop) wrote:

    ><<Will they shrink Darth Vader on the DVD's like they did in Lord
    >of the Rings?
    >>>

    >Darth Vader was in The Lord of the Rings?!

    No, that was Darth Dracula.

    Tranquility Base, Aug 17, 2004
  9. "Mischa van Dinter" <> wrote in message
    > On 15 Aug 2004 22:12:33 GMT, (Stroke of Eight)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >If Hayden Christensen has indeed been CGI-substituted for Sebastian Shaw

    as the
    > >elder Anakin in the new ROTJ 'special edition' DVD, does that mean the

    mug of
    > >Ewan McGregor will be similarly pasted over Sir Alec's face? Has the ever
    > >boggling inconstancies of their character's respective ages ever even

    OCCURRED
    > >to Darth Lucas?

    > The DVD or RotJ has been circulating in some Dutch newsgroups for some
    > time now and I've seen it. In case you don't want to know (and believe
    > me in the first place, that is)....
    >

    > <spoiler>
    >

    > <i warned you>
    >

    > The ending has been altered, yes. Vader-without-mask is still Shaw.
    > But the spirit of Anakin is now Hayden Christensen. Guiness is still
    > there. Also, there is a shot of Naboo in the celebration. Vader does
    > not disappear when he dies, but Yoda does (I am not sure if that was
    > already in the first special edition too). Also, I am not sure if the
    > shot of the people pulling down a statue of Palpatine was there
    > before, but it reminded me of the footage of people pulling down the
    > statue of Saddam Hussein so it could have been put in later as a
    > reference.
    >
    > There are probably other more minor changes too but I did not watch
    > the movie in full and I do not intend to. There is only one version I
    > want and I hear it does not exist anymore. A pity, it is.
    >
    > Mischa

    The Naboo shot will be new to the S.E.

    Yoda disappearing when he dies has always been in ROTJ all the way since
    it's first show in 1983, so that's nothing new.

    The Palpatine Emperor statue being tipped was in the 1997 S.E. of ROTJ, so
    while it may look like it's mirroring the events of 2003 (with Saddam) it's
    not new to the S.E.

    The "Original" version of the Trilogy DOES still exist, and always will, as
    long as Lucas doesn't send some flunky to every house around the world that
    bought one of the hundreds of VHS or Laserdisc releases and demands their
    immediate destruction. As long as you have a copy (or two - or fifty) they
    will always exist.

    That's fine that you don't like the S.E.s, I will always have a place for
    the "Originals" (hell, I have several P&S & WS VHS sets and the Definitive
    CAV Laserdisc set along with the three CLV releases) but "some" of the
    "changes" in the S.E.s actually work better for me. <start flame war here>
    Although the "Greedo shoots first" will NEVER sit right with me...I mean,
    Greedo was a Bounty Hunter for Jabba, sitting TWO FEET from Han.....AND
    MISSED!!!! In any event, some of the "clean up shots" like Mos Eisley and
    Empire's clearer dialog soundtrack were needed.

    Anyway, there you are....

    Rob McCartney, Aug 17, 2004
  10. "John C. Chu" <> wrote in message
    > In article <xhRTc.2446$>,
    > "Jeff Horne" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Probably not. My take on this is Lucas changed the "Jedi Spirits" to
    > > they way they looked when they stopped being Jedi. For Obi Wan
    > > and Yoda, it was their deaths but for Anakin it was when he became
    > > Vader, hence the HC likeness.
    > >
    > > Jeff Horne

    > Hey...now THAT makes sense. This is the first and best theory I've read.
    > It is almost...logical! Great bit of reasoning...because I too, thought
    > it was strange that Obi-Wan stays old forever and Anakin is going to
    > stay young.

    Until you remember that Lucas claims that the films have "always"
    been about the downfall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker. If that's
    the case, it further strengthens the case that the way he looked at his
    death would be the appropriate image (as he came back from the Dark
    Side). Even without Lucas' statements, the fact that he appeared in spirit
    form (in Jedi garb) at the end of Jedi was to illustrate this, both for the
    audience, and for Luke.

    Hey George, if it ain't broke -- don't fix it

    Henry LaPierre

    LaPierre Henry, Aug 17, 2004
  11. Stroke of Eight

    cep Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:45:26 -0400, "Rob McCartney"
    <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >That's fine that you don't like the S.E.s, I will always have a place for
    >the "Originals" (hell, I have several P&S & WS VHS sets and the Definitive
    >CAV Laserdisc set along with the three CLV releases) but "some" of the
    >"changes" in the S.E.s actually work better for me. <start flame war here>
    >Although the "Greedo shoots first" will NEVER sit right with me...I mean,
    >Greedo was a Bounty Hunter for Jabba, sitting TWO FEET from Han.....AND
    >MISSED!!!! In any event, some of the "clean up shots" like Mos Eisley and
    >Empire's clearer dialog soundtrack were needed.
    >
    >Anyway, there you are....

    Can't someone do a digital to digital laserdisc to dvd conversion of
    the originals and post the dvd-images on the internet so people can
    burn their own dvd's ? Just rip the laserdisc data, re-encode it and
    store it in dvd format. I may involve some adaptions to the laserdisc
    player, and looking up the laserdisc movie-format specs. But I think
    it can be done ..

    cep, Aug 17, 2004
  12. Stroke of Eight

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "cep" <> wrote in message
    > Can't someone do a digital to digital laserdisc to dvd conversion of
    > the originals and post the dvd-images on the internet so people can
    > burn their own dvd's ? Just rip the laserdisc data, re-encode it and
    > store it in dvd format.

    Laserdisc is an analog video format, not digital. The data can't be
    "ripped".

    Joshua Zyber, Aug 17, 2004
  13. cep <> writes:

    > On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:45:26 -0400, "Rob McCartney"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > >That's fine that you don't like the S.E.s, I will always have a place for
    > >the "Originals" (hell, I have several P&S & WS VHS sets and the Definitive
    > >CAV Laserdisc set along with the three CLV releases) but "some" of the
    > >"changes" in the S.E.s actually work better for me. <start flame war here>
    > >Although the "Greedo shoots first" will NEVER sit right with me...I mean,
    > >Greedo was a Bounty Hunter for Jabba, sitting TWO FEET from Han.....AND
    > >MISSED!!!! In any event, some of the "clean up shots" like Mos Eisley and
    > >Empire's clearer dialog soundtrack were needed.
    > >
    > >Anyway, there you are....

    > Can't someone do a digital to digital laserdisc to dvd conversion of
    > the originals and post the dvd-images on the internet so people can
    > burn their own dvd's ? Just rip the laserdisc data, re-encode it and
    > store it in dvd format. I may involve some adaptions to the laserdisc
    > player, and looking up the laserdisc movie-format specs. But I think
    > it can be done ..

    2 words. Bit Torrent.

    --
    Scott Streeter

    http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

    Scott Streeter, Aug 17, 2004
  14. Stroke of Eight

    cep Guest

    wrote:

    >If Hayden Christensen has indeed been CGI-substituted for Sebastian Shaw as the
    >elder Anakin in the new ROTJ 'special edition' DVD, does that mean the mug of
    >Ewan McGregor will be similarly pasted over Sir Alec's face? Has the ever
    >boggling inconstancies of their character's respective ages ever even OCCURRED
    >to Darth Lucas?

    I think they should delete Lucas from the entire project :) I just
    read on slashdot that he might do the last 3 episode (7/8/9). So
    expect more crappy releases in the future like the enhanced&revised
    6+1 & 9+1 dvd box and stuff like that. I also wouldn't put it past him
    to release the original 3 movies just after the sales of the upcoming
    4/6 release has dropped, just to make a few extra bucks by doing what
    he should have done in the first place. But he would probably add some
    deleted scenes from the original shoots, so he can release the
    completely original release later to make some more money :)

    I think the real problem with Lucas is that he used to represent 60's
    freedom of speech and creativity. The guy with no money who fought the
    system and realised his dream.

    And now he represents the multi million multinationals, whose only
    intent is to make as much money as possible. In fact he is a multi
    million multinational himself. In short, he is the guy that wants your
    money and couldn't care less about how to get it :)

    Imho his new material is not worth watching because it sucks, and his
    old material is not worth watching anymore because of what Lucas
    represents today. Just don't pay for watching his movies/dvd's
    anymore, so he will stop making them. Enjoy it for what it was, and
    move on ..

    --cep

    cep, Aug 18, 2004
  15. Stroke of Eight

    Ollie T Guest

    > the big question is how anakin grew over a foot taller even after being

    past
    > his growing age. Darth Vader is a lot taller in the first Star Wars than

    in
    > episode 2. Will they shrink Darth Vader on the DVD's like they did in Lord
    > of the Rings?

    Remember that Darth is now more machine than man. His legs may be
    completely robotic. They may have just made him bigger when they repaired
    him.

    HDTV games lists and discussions
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    Ollie T, Aug 20, 2004
  16. Stroke of Eight

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "John C. Chu" <> wrote:
    >In article <xhRTc.2446$>,
    > "Jeff Horne" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Probably not. My take on this is Lucas changed the "Jedi Spirits" to they
    >> way they looked when they stopped being Jedi. For Obi Wan and Yoda, it was
    >> their deaths but for Anakin it was when he became Vader, hence the HC
    >> likeness.
    >>
    >> Jeff Horne

    >Hey...now THAT makes sense. This is the first and best theory I've read.
    >It is almost...logical! Great bit of reasoning...because I too, thought
    >it was strange that Obi-Wan stays old forever and Anakin is going to
    >stay young.

    It sets a strong arguement to turn to the dark side when young so that when
    you die you have a young bod in spirit not some old geazer body for all
    eternity!!!

    GMAN, Aug 26, 2004
  17. Stroke of Eight

    Scarletdown Guest

    Matt Robinson wrote:

    > Lucas says exactly this on the upcoming box set. I like the idea myself a
    > lot. The execution ain't so hot though...Hayden looks directly at the camera
    > while Yoda and Ben look off to the side :)

    Although I'm not fond of many of the changes made, there is one thing I
    would have liked to see added at the end of ROTJ.

    How about while Luke is watching the ghosts, the Ben and Yoda ghosts
    suddenly double team the Anakin ghost and start beating the crap out of
    him? And the noises from this can continue on throughout the closing
    credits. Actually, this sounds like a fun idea for a Flash animation. :D

    --
    Scarletdown
    (Spamfoil in place. Lift MYTAILFEATHERS to reply via email.)

    Scarletdown, Oct 29, 2004
  18. "Scarletdown" <> wrote in message
    > Matt Robinson wrote:
    > >
    > > Lucas says exactly this on the upcoming box set. I like the idea myself

    > > lot. The execution ain't so hot though...Hayden looks directly at the

    camera
    > > while Yoda and Ben look off to the side :)
    > >

    > Although I'm not fond of many of the changes made, there is one thing I
    > would have liked to see added at the end of ROTJ.
    >
    > How about while Luke is watching the ghosts, the Ben and Yoda ghosts
    > suddenly double team the Anakin ghost and start beating the crap out of
    > him? And the noises from this can continue on throughout the closing
    > credits. Actually, this sounds like a fun idea for a Flash animation. :D

    ............" weesa free.."

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Oct 30, 2004