'Star Wars Trilogy' Makes THR's Top 10 DVDs List

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Ablang, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. Ablang

    Ablang Guest

    'Star Wars Trilogy' Makes THR's Top 10 DVDs List

    LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The Force is with George Lucas' "Star Wars
    Trilogy" DVD set, which made the cut for The Hollywood Reporter's Top
    10 DVDs of 2004.

    Besides digitally enhanced versions of the original three "Star Wars"
    films, the four-disc set boasts a Darth Vader featurette that includes
    a glimpse of his new costume that will appear in the upcoming "Star
    Wars: Episode III," an interview with George Lucas discussing how
    Anakin Skywalker becomes the notorious villain, behind-the-scenes
    footage of a lightsaber duel between Anakin (Hayden Christensen) and
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and a videogame demo for "Star Wars:
    Battlefront."

    With the third and final installment of the new "Star Wars" prequels
    set to hit theaters in a galaxy not too far away on May 19, fans are
    boning up for the big day by re-watching the films on DVD and chipping
    away at the hours of bonus footage.

    Rounding out the Top 10 DVDs, in alphabetical order, are:

    # "American Splendor" - Starring "Sideways" actor Paul Giamatti as
    real-life cartoonist Harvey Pekar, the DVD includes Pekar's cartoon
    booklet "My Movie Year" and a featurette following Pekar's visits to
    Sundance, Cannes and the Hollywood premiere.
    # "City of God" - The film centers on kids trying to survive in the
    real-life dangerous housing project in Rio de Janeiro. The DVD
    features the Brazilian TV documentary about the real City of God.
    # "The Commitments" - The travails of the "World's Hardest Working
    Band" bringing soul music to Ireland can be relived through Alan
    Parker's detailed commentary.
    # "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" - This spaghetti Western classic is
    restored and presented on a two-disc set that features a commentary by
    critic Richard Schickel.
    # "GoodFellas" - Arguably one of Martin Scorsese's best films, the mob
    flick on two discs includes illuminating commentaries by cast and
    crew, in addition to one by Henry Hill, the movie's real-life
    counterpart.
    # "Gun Crazy" - This violent B-movie classic from 1949 has gained
    respectability over the years, from its support by filmmaker Quentin
    Tarantino to its induction into the National Film Registry in 1998.
    The film about two gun-toting lovers who engage in a cross-country
    crime spree is enhanced by a commentary by Glenn Erickson who covers
    the ABCs of film noir.
    # "Lost in Translation" - Sofia Coppola's quietly unassuming film
    about two Americans who come to an understanding in Tokyo comes to DVD
    with a documentary about the filmmaker's efforts to shoot on a limited
    budget in Japan, sometimes without permits.
    # "SCTV Network/90: Volume 1" - The five-disc set about the early '80s
    comedy series features kooky extras, which also includes a featurette
    on the late John Candy.
    # "Sherlock Holmes" - Fox's restoration of the black-and-white
    classics "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and "The Adventures of
    Sherlock Holmes" allows film buffs to relive the eerie lighting that
    was critical to the haunting atmosphere. An additional commentary by
    David Stuart Davies uncovers minutiae and plot inconsistencies.

    http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/story/0,1259,---24174,00.html

    ===
    "I feel so bad. My band started playing the wrong song and I
    didn't know what to do, so I thought I'd do a hoedown. I'm sorry!"
    -- Ashlee Simpson, back from SNL commercial
    Ablang, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Ablang

    Joe Blow Guest

    Any list of the top 10 DVDs that does not contain
    John Carpenter's "The Thing" is not credible.

    JB
    Joe Blow, Jan 6, 2005