    In some movies the letterbox version has bars so small that the bars at top and
    bottom are barely noticeable.

    I was just wondering how large they are for the new star wars set.
    TNEXTWAVE, Sep 26, 2004

  2. TNEXTWAVE

    What The Guest

    AR 1.85:1 shows less "black bar" then AR 2.35:1.

    What The, Sep 26, 2004

  3. TNEXTWAVE

    luminos Guest

    Star Wars is 2:35:1, as is SeaBiscuit. Be prepared for large black bars and
    a wonderfully wide screen.

    luminos, Sep 26, 2004
  4. TNEXTWAVE

    luminos Guest

    PS

    If you don't like this, don't ever watch Ben Hur which has an even wider
    aspect ratio.

    luminos, Sep 26, 2004
  5. TNEXTWAVE

    zmike6 Guest

    On 26 Sep 2004 05:53:03 GMT, (TNEXTWAVE) wrote:

    >To anyone who has bought the widescreen dvd version this week for the new ep
    >4,5,6 Star Wars set.... How severe is the widescreen/letterbox image? Are
    >there huge bars on top and bottom? ex. the widescreen version of SeaBiscuit.
    >
    >In some movies the letterbox version has bars so small that the bars at top and
    >bottom are barely noticeable.
    >
    >I was just wondering how large they are for the new star wars set.

    I's a 2.35:1 ratio, film, which means on a typical 4:3 TV set, about
    43% of the picture area will be black bars, and about 57% of the area
    will display the film. That being said, even on a not-so-large 27"
    TV, I prefer the widescreen version to avoid losing a big part of the
    movie. It comes down to: do you want your TV screen filled but only
    see part of the film; or do you want black bars on your screen so you
    can see the whole film?
    zmike6, Sep 26, 2004
  6. TNEXTWAVE

    What The Guest

    Doesn't worry me at all, the information was for OP.

    What The, Sep 26, 2004
  7. TNEXTWAVE

    luminos Guest

    Sorry the message nesting got fouled up. I was writing to the OP.

    luminos, Sep 26, 2004
  8. "zmike6" <zmike6@*SPAMBLOCK*yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On 26 Sep 2004 05:53:03 GMT, (TNEXTWAVE) wrote:
    >
    > >To anyone who has bought the widescreen dvd version this week for the new

    ep
    > >4,5,6 Star Wars set.... How severe is the widescreen/letterbox image?

    Are
    > >there huge bars on top and bottom? ex. the widescreen version of

    SeaBiscuit.

    > >In some movies the letterbox version has bars so small that the bars at

    top and
    > >bottom are barely noticeable.
    > >
    > >I was just wondering how large they are for the new star wars set.
    > >

    > I's a 2.35:1 ratio, film, which means on a typical 4:3 TV set, about
    > 43% of the picture area will be black bars, and about 57% of the area
    > will display the film. That being said, even on a not-so-large 27"
    > TV, I prefer the widescreen version to avoid losing a big part of the
    > movie. It comes down to: do you want your TV screen filled but only
    > see part of the film; or do you want black bars on your screen so you
    > can see the whole film?

    To solve the problem of black bars, you COULD do this:

    a. Hang a curtain valance on the top....
    b. Hang a set of curtains on the bottom.

    All the action, then, is taking place outside your windows.

    Adrian
    Adrian S. Kuiper, Sep 26, 2004
  9. TNEXTWAVE

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "TNEXTWAVE" <> wrote in message
    > To anyone who has bought the widescreen dvd version this week for the
    > new ep
    > 4,5,6 Star Wars set.... How severe is the widescreen/letterbox image?
    > Are
    > there huge bars on top and bottom? ex. the widescreen version of
    > SeaBiscuit.
    >
    > In some movies the letterbox version has bars so small that the bars
    > at top and
    > bottom are barely noticeable.
    >
    > I was just wondering how large they are for the new star wars set.

    Here's a demonstration:

    http://www.ryanwright.com/ht/oar.shtml
    Joshua Zyber, Sep 26, 2004
  10. TNEXTWAVE

    Mark Jones Guest

    "TNEXTWAVE" <> wrote in message
    > To anyone who has bought the widescreen dvd version this week for the new

    ep
    > 4,5,6 Star Wars set.... How severe is the widescreen/letterbox image? Are
    > there huge bars on top and bottom? ex. the widescreen version of

    SeaBiscuit.

    > In some movies the letterbox version has bars so small that the bars at

    top and
    > bottom are barely noticeable.
    >
    > I was just wondering how large they are for the new star wars set.

    Not too bad on my 65 inch 16:9 HDTV.
    Mark Jones, Sep 26, 2004
  11. TNEXTWAVE

    Mark Spatny Guest

    TNEXTWAVE, says...
    > I was just wondering how large they are for the new star wars set.

    They are the correct size.
    Mark Spatny, Sep 27, 2004
  12. TNEXTWAVE

    Jordan Lund Guest

    (TNEXTWAVE) wrote in message news:<>...
    > To anyone who has bought the widescreen dvd version this week for the new ep
    > 4,5,6 Star Wars set.... How severe is the widescreen/letterbox image? Are
    > there huge bars on top and bottom? ex. the widescreen version of SeaBiscuit.
    >
    > In some movies the letterbox version has bars so small that the bars at top and
    > bottom are barely noticeable.
    >
    > I was just wondering how large they are for the new star wars set.

    There are several formats for widescreen... A normal tv image is
    1.33:1 and the least wide of the widescreen images is 1.66:1. IIRC the
    Star Wars flicks are 2.35:1 so it should be pretty wide. I have black
    bars on my set and it's a 16:9 set.

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Sep 27, 2004
  13. TNEXTWAVE

    Eric R. Guest

    (TNEXTWAVE) wrote in message news:<>...

    > To anyone who has bought the widescreen dvd version this week for the new ep
    > 4,5,6 Star Wars set.... How severe is the widescreen/letterbox image? Are
    > there huge bars on top and bottom? ex. the widescreen version of SeaBiscuit.

    Star Wars is about the same as Seasbiscuit. You should buy the
    fullscreen version. It will fill your TV screen and you won't have to
    worry about those ugly black bars.

    -Eric
    Eric R., Sep 27, 2004
  14. TNEXTWAVE

    GMAN Guest

    In article <fAB5d.3177$>, "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:
    >"TNEXTWAVE" <> wrote in message
    >> To anyone who has bought the widescreen dvd version this week for the
    >> new ep
    >> 4,5,6 Star Wars set.... How severe is the widescreen/letterbox image?
    >> Are
    >> there huge bars on top and bottom? ex. the widescreen version of
    >> SeaBiscuit.
    >>
    >> In some movies the letterbox version has bars so small that the bars
    >> at top and
    >> bottom are barely noticeable.
    >>
    >> I was just wondering how large they are for the new star wars set.

    >Here's a demonstration:
    >
    >http://www.ryanwright.com/ht/oar.shtml

    Dang good example
    GMAN, Sep 28, 2004
  15. Eric R. wrote:
    > (TNEXTWAVE) wrote in message
    >
    >> To anyone who has bought the widescreen dvd version this week for
    >> the new ep 4,5,6 Star Wars set.... How severe is the
    >> widescreen/letterbox image? Are there huge bars on top and bottom?
    >> ex. the widescreen version of SeaBiscuit.

    > Star Wars is about the same as Seasbiscuit. You should buy the
    > fullscreen version. It will fill your TV screen and you won't have to
    > worry about those ugly black bars.

    Mind if you hook me up with that crack you are smoking, because its
    obvious its good stuff. ;-)

    Seriously, anyone who tells someone to buy a pan and scan version of
    ANY film, and says "ugly black bars" has no respect for films in
    general, and should not be allowed to even own a DVD player.

    --
    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    TNAImpact.com Admin
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Sep 28, 2004
  16. TNEXTWAVE

    luminos Guest

    "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote in message
    > Eric R. wrote:
    >> (TNEXTWAVE) wrote in message
    >>
    >>> To anyone who has bought the widescreen dvd version this week for
    >>> the new ep 4,5,6 Star Wars set.... How severe is the
    >>> widescreen/letterbox image? Are there huge bars on top and bottom?
    >>> ex. the widescreen version of SeaBiscuit.

    >> Star Wars is about the same as Seasbiscuit. You should buy the
    >> fullscreen version. It will fill your TV screen and you won't have to
    >> worry about those ugly black bars.

    > Mind if you hook me up with that crack you are smoking, because its
    > obvious its good stuff. ;-)
    >
    > Seriously, anyone who tells someone to buy a pan and scan version of
    > ANY film, and says "ugly black bars" has no respect for films in
    > general, and should not be allowed to even own a DVD player.
    >
    > --
    > Brian The Demolition Man Little
    > TNAImpact.com Admin

    I took it to be satire.
    luminos, Sep 28, 2004
  17. TNEXTWAVE

    Video Flyer Guest

    Re: Star Wars Q: How severe are the bars on widescreen Star WarsDVD set?

    On 9/27/04 11:18 PM, in article ,
    "luminos" <> wrote:

    > "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote in message
    >> Eric R. wrote:
    >>> (TNEXTWAVE) wrote in message

    >>> Star Wars is about the same as Seasbiscuit. You should buy the
    >>> fullscreen version. It will fill your TV screen and you won't have to
    >>> worry about those ugly black bars.

    >> Mind if you hook me up with that crack you are smoking, because its
    >> obvious its good stuff. ;-)
    >>
    >> Seriously, anyone who tells someone to buy a pan and scan version of
    >> ANY film, and says "ugly black bars" has no respect for films in
    >> general, and should not be allowed to even own a DVD player.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Brian The Demolition Man Little
    >> TNAImpact.com Admin
    >>

    > I took it to be satire.

    Yup. Me, too.

    Neal
    Video Flyer, Sep 28, 2004
  18. TNEXTWAVE

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Re: Star Wars Q: How severe are the bars on widescreen Star WarsDVD set?

    Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:

    > Eric R. wrote:
    >
    >> (TNEXTWAVE) wrote in message
    >>

    >>>To anyone who has bought the widescreen dvd version this week for
    >>>the new ep 4,5,6 Star Wars set.... How severe is the
    >>>widescreen/letterbox image? Are there huge bars on top and bottom?
    >>>ex. the widescreen version of SeaBiscuit.

    >>Star Wars is about the same as Seasbiscuit. You should buy the
    >>fullscreen version. It will fill your TV screen and you won't have to
    >>worry about those ugly black bars.

    > Mind if you hook me up with that crack you are smoking, because its
    > obvious its good stuff. ;-)
    >
    > Seriously, anyone who tells someone to buy a pan and scan version of
    > ANY film, and says "ugly black bars" has no respect for films in
    > general, and should not be allowed to even own a DVD player.

    I assumed two things:
    1) sarcasm
    2) sincerity (I realize that these are contradictory) in that the OP
    clearly would rather fill screen than see picture, so he should buy what
    pleases him.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Sep 28, 2004
  19. Dick Sidbury wrote:
    > I assumed two things:
    > 1) sarcasm
    > 2) sincerity (I realize that these are contradictory) in that the OP
    > clearly would rather fill screen than see picture, so he should buy
    > what pleases him.

    Then he should stick to his VHS copies. Its worked for years
    for the "full" screen lovers, why should it change now?

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Sep 28, 2004
  20. TNEXTWAVE

    Eric R. Guest

    "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Seriously, anyone who tells someone to buy a pan and scan version of
    > ANY film, and says "ugly black bars" has no respect for films in
    > general, and should not be allowed to even own a DVD player.

    Buy what you want. Deserve what you get.

    -Eric
    Eric R., Sep 28, 2004