Star Wars non-SE bootleg DVD set question

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Doonie, Aug 28, 2004.

  1. Doonie

    Doonie Guest

    Doonie, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Doonie

    Smiley Guest

    Doonie wrote:
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6318396607&rd=1
    >
    > Are these the best ones out there? The seller says they're from the
    > THX laserdiscs, they're widescreen, they don't have burned-in
    > subtitles, they have 5.1 soundtracks.. Almost sounds too good to be
    > true. What made me start wondering was how "A New Hope" is "The New
    > Hope" all over the first movie's box. =\ Chinglish?

    If you're interested in the quality of the pre-SE versions you can find
    them on P2P networks as complete DVD's. Not sure about the extra's but
    they do have the additional commentary soundtrack.

    :)
    Smiley, Aug 28, 2004

  3. Doonie

    Jabbitt Guest

    Doonie wrote:
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6318396607&rd=1
    >
    > Are these the best ones out there? The seller says they're from the
    > THX laserdiscs, they're widescreen, they don't have burned-in
    > subtitles, they have 5.1 soundtracks.. Almost sounds too good to be
    > true. What made me start wondering was how "A New Hope" is "The New
    > Hope" all over the first movie's box. =\ Chinglish?

    There are two versions out there you want to look for. Firstly, don't touch
    that set on ebay, I bought that set and while the quality os okayish, there
    are sound synch problems on Empire and Jedi.

    Use google and search for TR47's version. These are non-anamorphic
    widescreen transfers of the Definitive Collection Laserdisc with a full
    uncompressed PCM soundtrack.

    Or theres Dr. Gonzos version. Again taken from the same Laserdisc
    collection but also contains the laserdisc commentary, and the picture is
    anamorphic widescreen.

    Alls thats left is which version to go for.

    Picture quality is slightly better on TR47, but Gonzos is anamorphic.

    Sound - TR47 wins again for quality but Gonzo contains the commentary as
    well (although apparently the sound isn't as good due to being compressed to
    allow space for commentary - not being a audiophile the sound sounds alright
    to me)
    Jabbitt, Aug 28, 2004
  4. "Smiley" <> wrote in message
    > Doonie wrote:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6318396607&rd=1

    > > Are these the best ones out there? The seller says they're from the
    > > THX laserdiscs, they're widescreen, they don't have burned-in
    > > subtitles, they have 5.1 soundtracks.. Almost sounds too good to be
    > > true. What made me start wondering was how "A New Hope" is "The New
    > > Hope" all over the first movie's box. =\ Chinglish?
    > >

    > If you're interested in the quality of the pre-SE versions you can find
    > them on P2P networks as complete DVD's. Not sure about the extra's but
    > they do have the additional commentary soundtrack.
    >
    > :)

    Do you have any file names?
    hunkahunkaburninluv, Aug 28, 2004
  5. >Or theres Dr. Gonzos version. Again taken from the same Laserdisc
    >collection but also contains the laserdisc commentary, and the picture is
    >anamorphic widescreen.

    Huh. Wonder how that's managed; the laserdiscs aren't anamorphic.
    Robert Morgan, Aug 28, 2004
  6. Doonie

    Smiley Guest

    hunkahunkaburninluv wrote:

    > "Smiley" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Doonie wrote:
    >>

    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6318396607&rd=1
    >
    >>> Are these the best ones out there? The seller says they're from the
    >>>THX laserdiscs, they're widescreen, they don't have burned-in
    >>>subtitles, they have 5.1 soundtracks.. Almost sounds too good to be
    >>>true. What made me start wondering was how "A New Hope" is "The New
    >>>Hope" all over the first movie's box. =\ Chinglish?
    >>>

    >>If you're interested in the quality of the pre-SE versions you can find
    >>them on P2P networks as complete DVD's. Not sure about the extra's but
    >>they do have the additional commentary soundtrack.
    >>
    >>:)

    > Do you have any file names?

    Look on suprnova.org and Movies -> DVDR or Sci-Fi
    Smiley, Aug 28, 2004
  7. Doonie

    TSKO Guest

    "Robert Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > >Or theres Dr. Gonzos version. Again taken from the same Laserdisc
    >>collection but also contains the laserdisc commentary, and the picture is
    >>anamorphic widescreen.

    > Huh. Wonder how that's managed; the laserdiscs aren't anamorphic.

    If they are taken from the LD, how can they be 5.1? Mine are AC3 dobly
    digital 2 channel..and taken from LD......but can they even be .51?
    TSKO, Aug 29, 2004
  8. Doonie

    TSKO Guest

    "TSKO" <> wrote in message

    > "Robert Morgan" <> wrote in message
    >> >Or theres Dr. Gonzos version. Again taken from the same Laserdisc
    >>>collection but also contains the laserdisc commentary, and the picture is
    >>>anamorphic widescreen.

    >> Huh. Wonder how that's managed; the laserdiscs aren't anamorphic.

    > If they are taken from the LD, how can they be 5.1? Mine are AC3 dobly
    > digital 2 channel..and taken from LD......but can they even be .51?

    .....or they could be DOLBY digital.....whooops
    TSKO, Aug 29, 2004
  9. Jabbitt wrote:

    > Use google and search for TR47's version. These are non-anamorphic
    > widescreen transfers of the Definitive Collection Laserdisc with a full
    > uncompressed PCM soundtrack.

    How does one convert the laserdisc image to anamorphic?

    Mike

    Michael Rogers, Aug 29, 2004
  10. Doonie

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    > >Or theres Dr. Gonzos version. Again taken from the same Laserdisc
    > >collection but also contains the laserdisc commentary, and the

    picture is
    > >anamorphic widescreen.

    > Huh. Wonder how that's managed; the laserdiscs aren't anamorphic.

    You can use scaling software to stretch a non-anamorphic picture into
    anamorphic proportions. It doesn't add real picture detail, but it will
    allow the disc to be played on a television that forces a 16:9 stretch
    on all progressive scan signals.
    Joshua Zyber, Aug 29, 2004
  11. >> Huh. Wonder how that's managed; the laserdiscs aren't anamorphic.

    >You can use scaling software to stretch a non-anamorphic picture into
    >anamorphic proportions. It doesn't add real picture detail, but it will
    >allow the disc to be played on a television that forces a 16:9 stretch
    >on all progressive scan signals.

    Ah, that's kind of interesting. Saves button presses on the TV remote, at
    least. Something to keep in mind for when I begin making DVDs of my LD
    collection.
    Robert Morgan, Aug 29, 2004
  12. Doonie

    Eric R. Guest

    "Jabbitt" <> wrote in message news:<mU2Yc.296723$>...

    > Use google and search for TR47's version.

    IMHO, TR47's version is the best (picture is good, sound is great).

    > Picture quality is slightly better on TR47, but Gonzos is anamorphic.

    Anamorphic really doesn't help here, since they're both mastered from
    the same non-anamorphic source.

    > Sound - TR47 wins again for quality but Gonzo contains the commentary as
    > well (although apparently the sound isn't as good due to being compressed to
    > allow space for commentary - not being a audiophile the sound sounds alright
    > to me)

    I think TR47 has the commnetaries too, just on a seperate disc.

    -Eric
    Eric R., Aug 30, 2004
  13. Doonie

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Doonie <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6318396607&rd=1
    >
    > Are these the best ones out there? The seller says they're from the
    > THX laserdiscs, they're widescreen, they don't have burned-in
    > subtitles, they have 5.1 soundtracks.. Almost sounds too good to be
    > true. What made me start wondering was how "A New Hope" is "The New
    > Hope" all over the first movie's box. =\ Chinglish?

    Be aware too that the commentary on the LD set isn't like the typical
    commentary we enjoy today. Some tracks have commentary and some do
    not. Not only that... but when I bought my set it came packed with an
    incorrect listing of commentary tracks PLUS it's missing 3 seconds of
    Leia welding from Empire.

    Just fun facts for ID'ing the laser version.

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Aug 31, 2004
  14. Jordan Lund wrote:
    > ...when I bought my [SW Definitive Collection LD] set it came packed with
    > an incorrect listing of commentary tracks PLUS it's missing 3 seconds of
    > Leia welding from Empire.

    I am a hopeless nit-picker. It's *seven* seconds, not three:

    <http://home.earthlink.net/~treadwell_jay/starwars/THX.htm>

    Sorry. :)

    doug

    --
    "Your perfect lover's never there and if she was she wouldn't be..."
    --Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians
    Douglas Bailey, Aug 31, 2004
  15. Doonie

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Douglas Bailey <> wrote in message news:<16p15y4culnwg$>...
    > Jordan Lund wrote:
    > > ...when I bought my [SW Definitive Collection LD] set it came packed with
    > > an incorrect listing of commentary tracks PLUS it's missing 3 seconds of
    > > Leia welding from Empire.

    > I am a hopeless nit-picker. It's *seven* seconds, not three:
    >
    > <http://home.earthlink.net/~treadwell_jay/starwars/THX.htm>
    >
    > Sorry. :)

    Well, it only feels like 3 seconds. :^)

    Actually, watching various theatrical prints over the years I came to
    understand how multiple versions of films come into being via film
    breaks, splices, etc. I saw one version without Luke and Leia swinging
    across the bridge. I've seen several edits of the "OPEN THE BLAST
    DOORS" - "CLOSE THE BLAST DOORS" scene...

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Aug 31, 2004