Star Wars is not being released to DVD!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mike Kohary, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Mike Kohary

    Mike Kohary Guest

    DVDFile.com reports:
    -------------------
    Of course, the big question mark amongst fans has always been whether Lucas
    would allow the original, unaltered original editions of the trilogy to also
    be released on DVD. Not possible, said Ward, who confirmed that the upcoming
    set will feature only the 1997 Special Edition versions of each film. "What
    George did in 1997," Ward explains, "was [to] make the movie he originally
    wanted to make."
    So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997
    editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We realize there's a
    lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love
    our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that
    the sole version he wants available is this one."

    -------------------

    So, in other words, "Star Wars" (1977), "The Empire Strikes Back" (1980),
    and "Return of the Jedi" (1983) will remain "holy grail" titles for those of
    us clammoring for Star Wars on DVD, because those movies are *NOT* being
    released to DVD.

    This *is* about art and filmmaking, and George Lucas is committing a grave
    artistic travesty by burying the films that were such cinematic phenomenons
    and eventually became cultural icons. Whether you personally prefer the
    originals or the so-called "Special Editions", there is no debate about
    which films scored a major hit with hundreds of millions of people across
    the planet, and they deserve their place in history in unrevised form.

    Damn George Lucas for not seeing this.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Mike Kohary

    Hank Guest

    Rumor has it that Mike Kohary put forth the following:

    >Damn George Lucas for not seeing this.

    I share your pain, but I assume that the original versions do in fact exist
    somewhere, in some abandoned salt mine hundreds of feet below the surface or on
    some digital tape in a Swiss bank.

    That's all that counts, that the originals *do* exist, for given this rest
    assured that eventually they will be released.

    Maybe after you and I are long gone, but they *will* be released.... ;-)

    --

    Hank
    Dallas, TX "Religion is a smile on a dog..." (New Bohs)

    Hank, Feb 10, 2004

  3. Mike Kohary

    Paul C. Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in news:c0bjn9$2f6$0
    @pita.alt.net:

    > Damn George Lucas for not seeing this.
    >
    > Mike

    Big deal, for all those who care there are just as many or more who
    will gleefully buy them when they come out. There's absolutely
    nothing you can do about it so why waste your time ?

    Paul C., Feb 10, 2004
  4. Mike Kohary

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Paul C." <> wrote in message

    > Big deal, for all those who care there are just as many or more who
    > will gleefully buy them when they come out. There's absolutely
    > nothing you can do about it so why waste your time ?

    I may even buy them myself, because I have no other choice and they'll be
    better than nothing, but whether or not I can do anything about it is beside
    the point. I despair over what is happening to the people in Rwanda, even
    though I can do nothing about it. I advocate all sorts of things I can't
    have any direct effect on, and so do you.

    I think this is an important issue. It's about art and history, and whether
    or not it's right to revise either. It involves 3 of the most influential
    movies in the history of cinema. It should be talked about, whether or not
    anyone can "do anything about it".

    Who knows? Maybe Lucas can be convinced.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 10, 2004
  5. Mike Kohary

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Hank" <> wrote in message

    > I share your pain, but I assume that the original versions do in fact

    exist
    > somewhere, in some abandoned salt mine hundreds of feet below the surface

    or on
    > some digital tape in a Swiss bank.
    >
    > That's all that counts, that the originals *do* exist, for given this rest
    > assured that eventually they will be released.
    >
    > Maybe after you and I are long gone, but they *will* be released.... ;-)

    Which is no help to you or I. ;)

    I guess I may as well publicize this a little more:
    http://www.kohary.com/starwars_dvd/

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 10, 2004
  6. Mike Kohary

    Richard C. Guest

    Guess it is time to make DVD copies of my THX LDs..................

    for my own personal use.........of course...........................
    =================================
    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message news:c0bjn9$2f6$...
    : DVDFile.com reports:
    : -------------------
    : Of course, the big question mark amongst fans has always been whether Lucas
    : would allow the original, unaltered original editions of the trilogy to also
    : be released on DVD. Not possible, said Ward, who confirmed that the upcoming
    : set will feature only the 1997 Special Edition versions of each film. "What
    : George did in 1997," Ward explains, "was [to] make the movie he originally
    : wanted to make."
    : So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997
    : editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We realize there's a
    : lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love
    : our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that
    : the sole version he wants available is this one."
    :
    : -------------------
    :

    Richard C., Feb 10, 2004
  7. Mike Kohary

    Jay Stewart Guest

    > "Paul C." <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Big deal, for all those who care there are just as many or more who
    > > will gleefully buy them when they come out. There's absolutely
    > > nothing you can do about it so why waste your time ?

    > I may even buy them myself, because I have no other choice and they'll be
    > better than nothing, but whether or not I can do anything about it is

    beside
    > the point. I despair over what is happening to the people in Rwanda, even
    > though I can do nothing about it. I advocate all sorts of things I can't
    > have any direct effect on, and so do you.
    >
    > I think this is an important issue. It's about art and history, and

    whether
    > or not it's right to revise either. It involves 3 of the most influential
    > movies in the history of cinema. It should be talked about, whether or

    not
    > anyone can "do anything about it".
    >
    > Who knows? Maybe Lucas can be convinced.
    >
    > Mike

    You should read up on Rwanda before you trvialize it by comparing it to Star
    Wars not coming out in its original form.

    http://tinyurl.com/2bnmq

    Jay Stewart, Feb 10, 2004
  8. >Big deal, for all those who care there are just as many or more who
    >will gleefully buy them when they come out. There's absolutely
    >nothing you can do about it so why waste your time ?

    There's always LaserDisc. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Feb 10, 2004
  9. Mike Kohary

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote:
    > DVDFile.com reports:
    > -------------------
    > Of course, the big question mark amongst fans has always been whether Lucas
    > would allow the original, unaltered original editions of the trilogy to also
    > be released on DVD. Not possible, said Ward, who confirmed that the upcoming
    > set will feature only the 1997 Special Edition versions of each film. "What
    > George did in 1997," Ward explains, "was [to] make the movie he originally
    > wanted to make."

    When I hear this I always wonder why Greedo didn't shoot first in the
    original movie. If this was part of the movie that he originally wanted
    to make why didn't he do it originally?

    dick
    --but after seeing Ep 1 and Ep 2 I can actually believe Lucas thinks he
    means this.

    Dick Sidbury, Feb 10, 2004
  10. Mike Kohary

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Jay Stewart" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > > "Paul C." <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Big deal, for all those who care there are just as many or more who
    > > > will gleefully buy them when they come out. There's absolutely
    > > > nothing you can do about it so why waste your time ?

    > > I may even buy them myself, because I have no other choice and they'll

    be
    > > better than nothing, but whether or not I can do anything about it is

    > beside
    > > the point. I despair over what is happening to the people in Rwanda,

    even
    > > though I can do nothing about it. I advocate all sorts of things I

    can't
    > > have any direct effect on, and so do you.
    > >
    > > I think this is an important issue. It's about art and history, and

    > whether
    > > or not it's right to revise either. It involves 3 of the most

    influential
    > > movies in the history of cinema. It should be talked about, whether or

    > not
    > > anyone can "do anything about it".
    > >
    > > Who knows? Maybe Lucas can be convinced.
    > >
    > > Mike

    > You should read up on Rwanda before you trvialize it by comparing it to

    Star
    > Wars not coming out in its original form.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2bnmq

    I didn't compare the two, and I've been following the events in Rwanda for
    years. Read for comprehension, not gut reaction - I was giving another
    example where I care about something I can't actually do anything about.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 10, 2004
  11. Mike Kohary

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message

    > When I hear this I always wonder why Greedo didn't shoot first in the
    > original movie. If this was part of the movie that he originally wanted
    > to make why didn't he do it originally?

    The fact is, Lucas is misguided and kidding himself.

    > --but after seeing Ep 1 and Ep 2 I can actually believe Lucas thinks he
    > means this.

    Case in point.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 10, 2004
  12. > I share your pain, but I assume that the original versions do in fact
    exist
    > somewhere, in some abandoned salt mine hundreds of feet below the surface

    or on
    > some digital tape in a Swiss bank.

    Not a safe assumption. Oh, sure, it exists in some forms. I have it on CAV
    Laserdisc myself. the question is: Does it exist in a form that can recreate
    the visual splendor of the original release?

    For that, you would need 35mm intermediates made off of the original
    negative (ON) or, better yet, the ON itself. If Lucas chopped up the ON when
    he created the Spurious Editions, and threw out what he no longer wanted, it
    might be quite difficult to recreate the original in anything resembling
    it's original form.

    Lincoln

    Lincoln Spector, Feb 10, 2004
  13. Actually, I think he's going to release it in a new, Extra Special Edition,
    which will contain the movies that he now realizes he originally meant to
    make, allowing him to ban all early versions forever. Among the changes:

    * Every battle and action sequence will be preceded with a new shot of
    Greedo firing first.

    * All blasters will be replaced by walkie-talkies.

    * The opening crawl, and all dialog will be removed. In their place will be
    a new narration by a computer-generated voice of Charlie Chaplin.

    Lincoln

    Lincoln Spector, Feb 10, 2004
  14. Mike Kohary

    Hank Guest

    Rumor has it that Lincoln Spector put forth the following:

    >For that, you would need 35mm intermediates made off of the original
    >negative (ON) or, better yet, the ON itself. If Lucas chopped up the ON when
    >he created the Spurious Editions, and threw out what he no longer wanted, it
    >might be quite difficult to recreate the original in anything resembling
    >it's original form.

    Yes.

    I'm just assuming/hoping that even Lucas wouldn't do this (i.e. not save the
    original negative in some form).

    Hank, Feb 11, 2004
  15. Mike Kohary

    TSKO Guest

    > "Paul C." <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Big deal, for all those who care there are just as many or more who
    > > will gleefully buy them when they come out. There's absolutely
    > > nothing you can do about it so why waste your time ?

    > I may even buy them myself, because I have no other choice and they'll be
    > better than nothing, but whether or not I can do anything about it is

    beside
    > the point. I despair over what is happening to the people in Rwanda, even
    > though I can do nothing about it. I advocate all sorts of things I can't
    > have any direct effect on, and so do you.
    >
    > I think this is an important issue. It's about art and history, and

    whether
    > or not it's right to revise either. It involves 3 of the most influential
    > movies in the history of cinema. It should be talked about, whether or

    not
    > anyone can "do anything about it".
    >
    > Who knows? Maybe Lucas can be convinced.
    >
    > Mike

    My thoughts exactely!

    TSKO, Feb 11, 2004
  16. Mike Kohary

    Joe Pendyck Guest

    So I guess the big laser disc box set I bought a few years ago called
    "The Definitve Collection" really wasn't definitive?
    Personally, I don't really care to much about this, but I believe
    Lucas owes the fans who do care. After all, where would he be if the
    fans didn't exist?

    Joe Pendyck, Feb 11, 2004
  17. In article <bPdWb.22350$>, Lincoln
    Spector <> wrote:
    > Not a safe assumption. Oh, sure, it exists in some forms. I have it on CAV
    > Laserdisc myself. the question is: Does it exist in a form that can recreate
    > the visual splendor of the original release?

    My understanding is that there is at least one print of the '77 Star
    Wars preserved outside the reach of George Lucas' Newspeak Division.

    When AFI was archiving the "Top 100" films for preservation, the
    popular story goes that Lucas sent over a print of the SE, which AFI
    returned as "not being that film which was marked for preservation".

    I've heard two versions of the story, one being that a 77 print was
    finally "found" and sent over, the other that a 78 print was sent over
    (78 added the "EPISODE IV" to the title crawl, and that's it).

    Either way, it seems AFI has a print. And so long as they hold up their
    end of the bargain, in 68 years, it'll be out of copyright, and you can
    have a copy.

    Derek Balling, Feb 11, 2004
  18. "Hank" <> wrote in message
    > Rumor has it that Lincoln Spector put forth the following:
    >
    > >For that, you would need 35mm intermediates made off of the original
    > >negative (ON) or, better yet, the ON itself. If Lucas chopped up the ON

    when
    > >he created the Spurious Editions, and threw out what he no longer wanted,

    it
    > >might be quite difficult to recreate the original in anything resembling
    > >it's original form.

    > Yes.
    >
    > I'm just assuming/hoping that even Lucas wouldn't do this (i.e. not save

    the
    > original negative in some form).

    I don't share that assumption. A while ago, I read a quote from a Lucus
    representative, talking about how it's only the Special Edition from now on.
    He said the original version "no longer exists." I hope he wasn't talking
    literally, but I don't feel certain about that.

    Lincoln

    Lincoln Spector, Feb 11, 2004
  19. Mike Kohary

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Lincoln Spector" <> wrote in message

    > > I'm just assuming/hoping that even Lucas wouldn't do this (i.e. not save

    > the
    > > original negative in some form).

    > I don't share that assumption. A while ago, I read a quote from a Lucus
    > representative, talking about how it's only the Special Edition from now

    on.
    > He said the original version "no longer exists." I hope he wasn't talking
    > literally, but I don't feel certain about that.

    I remember reading that quote, and feeling a sinking feeling in my gut. I
    shook it off and said to myself, "Surely he doesn't mean that literally,"
    and I think that's probably true. Even Lucas wouldn't be so misguided as to
    destroy an original work - at the very least, he'd keep a digital archive of
    the original negative. It's a producer's maxim to always retain access to
    the original product.

    Still, I never would have thought that a filmmaker with Lucas' caliber of
    vision and talent would shun his original works so effortlessly in favor of
    revised updates. I understand the compulsion to improve a past work, but I
    can't begin to identify with the hand-in-hand compulsion to bury the past
    work that Lucas apparently suffers from. For all we know, the originals
    *don't* exist anymore - and that would truly be a crime against art.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 11, 2004
  20. Mike Kohary

    Justin Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote on [Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:50:30 -0800]:
    > So, in other words, "Star Wars" (1977), "The Empire Strikes Back" (1980),
    > and "Return of the Jedi" (1983) will remain "holy grail" titles for those of
    > us clammoring for Star Wars on DVD, because those movies are *NOT* being
    > released to DVD.
    >
    > This *is* about art and filmmaking, and George Lucas is committing a grave
    > artistic travesty by burying the films that were such cinematic phenomenons
    > and eventually became cultural icons. Whether you personally prefer the
    > originals or the so-called "Special Editions", there is no debate about
    > which films scored a major hit with hundreds of millions of people across
    > the planet, and they deserve their place in history in unrevised form.
    >
    > Damn George Lucas for not seeing this.

    He's not going to!

    HE'S NOT GOING TO!

    Sunk in yet?