    Together with getting my Medicare card and my AARP card, the release
    of the DVD's kinda makes this year even more special.

    Adrian

    Adrian S. Kuiper, Sep 17, 2004

  2. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Dragon Guest

    "Adrian S. Kuiper" <> wrote in message
    news:9nI2d.33964$...

    > Frankly, the fact that Lucas made changes to HIS movie doesn't
    > bother me at all. I can recall seeing it in the theaters about 6 or 7
    > times back in the late 70's. I was thrilled. "Star Wars" was the ONLY
    > movie I ever saw more than twice in the theater. Actually, even now,
    > it's STILL the only one.
    >
    > So....am I gonna bitch and moan about what Lucas has done? Nope!!
    > Am I gonna compare the DVD with the VHS tapes I have? Nope!! Am
    > I gonna be upset about the changes? Nope!! Am I gonna watch the
    > three movies and be thrilled once again? You bet your ass!!!!
    > I'm gonna get the set.....settle back on the couch with some popcorn and
    > a couple Pepsis and be thrilled once again. Fortunately, I have a 53"
    > TV (nope....not HD).
    >
    > My only decision is whether to watch them all in one day or make it
    > last for a few days.
    >
    > Together with getting my Medicare card and my AARP card, the release
    > of the DVD's kinda makes this year even more special.
    >
    > Adrian

    You go Adrian I agree, lets just get the dvd set and watch and enjoy it and
    think back to those days from the 70s and 80s on what was once a great film
    trilogy and always will what ever they have done to it

    Dave

    ---

    Dragon, Sep 17, 2004

  3. Adrian S. Kuiper

    NeoRenegade Guest

    Adrian S. Kuiper wrote:

    > Frankly, the fact that Lucas made changes to HIS movie doesn't
    > bother me at all. I can recall seeing it in the theaters about 6 or 7
    > times back in the late 70's. I was thrilled. "Star Wars" was the ONLY
    > movie I ever saw more than twice in the theater. Actually, even now,
    > it's STILL the only one.
    >
    > So....am I gonna bitch and moan about what Lucas has done? Nope!!
    > Am I gonna compare the DVD with the VHS tapes I have? Nope!! Am
    > I gonna be upset about the changes? Nope!! Am I gonna watch the
    > three movies and be thrilled once again? You bet your ass!!!!
    > I'm gonna get the set.....settle back on the couch with some popcorn and
    > a couple Pepsis and be thrilled once again. Fortunately, I have a 53"
    > TV (nope....not HD).
    >
    > My only decision is whether to watch them all in one day or make it
    > last for a few days.
    >
    > Together with getting my Medicare card and my AARP card, the release
    > of the DVD's kinda makes this year even more special.
    >
    > Adrian

    I'm not pissed, just deeply saddened. Back before Episode I and II came
    out, when the "special edition" trilogy was released, I didn't mind the
    changes that were made to the movies. But now after having heard that
    Hayden Christenson will be put into The Return Of The Jedi, I'm a little
    worried to say the least. He has better look well-aged in the scene
    because I could never bear seeing his ghost as he looked in Episode II,
    in ROTJ. Episodes I and II were pretty loust movies and you don't just
    bastardize masterpieces like the Trilogy for continuity with such crap!

    Go ahead and say that it's his work and he can do whatever he wants to
    with it. Legally that's absolutely correct.
    But morally? If someone were to own the last pair of bengal tigers on
    Earth capable of breeding and he/she decided to have them euthanized,
    would you agree with that then?

    - NR

    NeoRenegade, Sep 19, 2004
  4. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Chasey Guest

    > Frankly, the fact that Lucas made changes to HIS movie doesn't
    > bother me at all. I can recall seeing it in the theaters about 6 or 7
    > times back in the late 70's. I was thrilled. "Star Wars" was the ONLY
    > movie I ever saw more than twice in the theater. Actually, even now,
    > it's STILL the only one.
    >
    > So....am I gonna bitch and moan about what Lucas has done? Nope!!
    > Am I gonna compare the DVD with the VHS tapes I have? Nope!! Am
    > I gonna be upset about the changes? Nope!! Am I gonna watch the
    > three movies and be thrilled once again? You bet your ass!!!!
    > I'm gonna get the set.....settle back on the couch with some popcorn and
    > a couple Pepsis and be thrilled once again. Fortunately, I have a 53"
    > TV (nope....not HD).
    >
    > My only decision is whether to watch them all in one day or make it
    > last for a few days.
    >
    > Together with getting my Medicare card and my AARP card, the release
    > of the DVD's kinda makes this year even more special.
    >
    > Adrian

    The changes are excellent.
    Hayden is in at the end and I think shows him as he was BEFORE he turned to
    the Darkside. So it makes sense to me.
    Get your boxset and enjoy.
    It's all good!

    Chasey, Sep 19, 2004
  5. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Dan P. Guest

    "Chasey" <> wrote in message

    > "Adrian S. Kuiper" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Frankly, the fact that Lucas made changes to HIS movie doesn't
    >> bother me at all. I can recall seeing it in the theaters about 6 or 7
    >> times back in the late 70's. I was thrilled. "Star Wars" was the ONLY
    >> movie I ever saw more than twice in the theater. Actually, even now,
    >> it's STILL the only one.
    >>
    >> So....am I gonna bitch and moan about what Lucas has done? Nope!!
    >> Am I gonna compare the DVD with the VHS tapes I have? Nope!! Am
    >> I gonna be upset about the changes? Nope!! Am I gonna watch the
    >> three movies and be thrilled once again? You bet your ass!!!!
    >> I'm gonna get the set.....settle back on the couch with some popcorn and
    >> a couple Pepsis and be thrilled once again. Fortunately, I have a 53"
    >> TV (nope....not HD).
    >>
    >> My only decision is whether to watch them all in one day or make it
    >> last for a few days.
    >>
    >> Together with getting my Medicare card and my AARP card, the release
    >> of the DVD's kinda makes this year even more special.
    >>
    >> Adrian
    >>

    > The changes are excellent.
    > Hayden is in at the end and I think shows him as he was BEFORE he turned
    > to the Darkside. So it makes sense to me.
    > Get your boxset and enjoy.
    > It's all good!

    Both Obi-Wan and Yoda are shown at the age of their deaths. And originally,
    so was Anakin. It doesn't seem to make much sense to show him at the age of
    Episode II/III.

    This scene was one of my favorites of the trilogy (well the 1983 version
    with the original music...not the 1997 one). So it's disappointing that
    this particular scene was changed. I will always picture Anakin as the
    older man revealed in ROTJ when his mask is pulled off. I just can't have
    sympathy for that whiny kid in Episode II. And it doesn't make sense, in my
    opinion, to show an image of the young Anakin who was in the process of
    turning to the dark side.

    It may be GL's prerogative to change the movies, but it's a bad choice.
    Even if the changes he made would be loved by 100% of the audience, he still
    shouldn't do it. In my opinion, it's breaking with the tradition of cinema.
    A movie of a particular era should be left alone and admired and/or disliked
    for what it was. You can edit out the cowardly lion, scarecrow, and tin
    man, and put in CGI characters, and the movie visually would look alot more
    believable, but the charm and history of the 1939 version of the movie would
    be lost forever. That's what has happened to the Star Wars movies.

    But regardless of all that, I will be buying the movies on DVD. Most of the
    movies have been left intact and I'm looking forward to seeing the movies on
    DVD. I'll just have to keep my VHS version of ROTJ so I can appreciate the
    original ending of the series.

    Dan

    Dan P., Sep 19, 2004
  6. "NeoRenegade" <> wrote in message
    > Adrian S. Kuiper wrote:
    >
    > > Frankly, the fact that Lucas made changes to HIS movie doesn't
    > > bother me at all. I can recall seeing it in the theaters about 6 or 7
    > > times back in the late 70's. I was thrilled. "Star Wars" was the ONLY
    > > movie I ever saw more than twice in the theater. Actually, even now,
    > > it's STILL the only one.
    > >
    > > So....am I gonna bitch and moan about what Lucas has done? Nope!!
    > > Am I gonna compare the DVD with the VHS tapes I have? Nope!! Am
    > > I gonna be upset about the changes? Nope!! Am I gonna watch the
    > > three movies and be thrilled once again? You bet your ass!!!!
    > > I'm gonna get the set.....settle back on the couch with some popcorn and
    > > a couple Pepsis and be thrilled once again. Fortunately, I have a 53"
    > > TV (nope....not HD).
    > >
    > > My only decision is whether to watch them all in one day or make it
    > > last for a few days.
    > >
    > > Together with getting my Medicare card and my AARP card, the release
    > > of the DVD's kinda makes this year even more special.
    > >
    > > Adrian
    > >

    > I'm not pissed, just deeply saddened. Back before Episode I and II came
    > out, when the "special edition" trilogy was released, I didn't mind the
    > changes that were made to the movies. But now after having heard that
    > Hayden Christenson will be put into The Return Of The Jedi, I'm a little
    > worried to say the least. He has better look well-aged in the scene
    > because I could never bear seeing his ghost as he looked in Episode II,
    > in ROTJ. Episodes I and II were pretty loust movies and you don't just
    > bastardize masterpieces like the Trilogy for continuity with such crap!
    >
    > Go ahead and say that it's his work and he can do whatever he wants to
    > with it. Legally that's absolutely correct.
    > But morally? If someone were to own the last pair of bengal tigers on
    > Earth capable of breeding and he/she decided to have them euthanized,
    > would you agree with that then?
    >
    > - NR

    I didn't say I AGREED with his actions. As a matter of fact, I don't.
    think his "messing with the films" (and that is how I see it) does nothing
    for either the films or for film-making in general. It just exhibits how
    huge
    an ego the man has. Leave well-enough alone is a creedo I live by. If it
    ain't broke,
    don't fix it.

    As to the tigers, I would not agree with that either, but I doubt that
    Siegfried and Roy would EVER stoop that low.

    In any case.....enjoy the DVD's....

    Adrian

    Adrian S. Kuiper, Sep 19, 2004
  7. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Peter Koenig Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:20:29 GMT, "Dan P."
    <> wrote:

    >It may be GL's prerogative to change the movies, but it's a bad choice.
    >Even if the changes he made would be loved by 100% of the audience, he still
    >shouldn't do it. In my opinion, it's breaking with the tradition of cinema.
    >A movie of a particular era should be left alone and admired and/or disliked
    >for what it was. You can edit out the cowardly lion, scarecrow, and tin
    >man, and put in CGI characters, and the movie visually would look alot more
    >believable, but the charm and history of the 1939 version of the movie would
    >be lost forever. That's what has happened to the Star Wars movies.
    >
    >But regardless of all that, I will be buying the movies on DVD. Most of the
    >movies have been left intact and I'm looking forward to seeing the movies on
    >DVD. I'll just have to keep my VHS version of ROTJ so I can appreciate the
    >original ending of the series.
    >

    > Dan

    Agreed, it doesn't matter to me what he has changed. 100 people will
    have 100 different opinions on how much better or worse the new film
    is. The crime is not preserving and releasing the original versions.
    Superman, Star Trek I & VI, CE3K, Blade Runner... the list of movies
    no longer available in their original form sadly just keeps getting
    longer.

    Much as I want to see my favorite movies on anamorphic DVD, I will
    NOT be buying Star Wars.

    Peter Koenig

    Peter Koenig, Sep 20, 2004
  8. Adrian S. Kuiper

    T Guest

    Heh heh.

    I'm going to save myself the coin and rewatch my Laserdisk versions.

    Besides any pissin contests is there any obligation to the public to not
    have some plot points reworked (who shot 1st in the bar for example)?

    Lucas not only made the product, he sold or at least was payed for his
    efforts. If he wanted complete, and I mean without strings of ANY kind,
    seems he would have not charged for his labor, or kept it to himself.

    TBerk

    T, Sep 20, 2004
  9. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Jim Burgan Guest

    > "T" <> wrote:
    > Heh heh.
    >
    > I'm going to save myself the coin and rewatch my Laserdisk versions.

    I have the Laser Disc set of the original trilogy (the Definitive Collection
    released in 1993, the last release of the original trilogy) and will hang on
    to it for as long as I can keep a LD player working... But I also intend to
    purchase the SE's tomorrow.
    The Definitive Collection of the original trilogy on Laser Disc has a couple
    of weaknesses: It's in CAV format and it gets to be a real pain flipping
    discs every 30 minutes. It really disrupts the flow of the movie. Even
    though my LD player plays both sides without flipping, it still takes 6 or 7
    seconds for the player to switch sides plus every hour you gotta eject the
    disc and put in the next one. Another weakness is the audio. The audio on
    the Definitive Collection released in '93 is Dolby Pro Logic, and with
    today's home theatre, Dolby Pro Logic is like the dark ages. The original
    trilogy has never been released in any format with a Dolby Digital (5.1)
    soundtrack. The first to offer Dolby Digital (AC3) was the first LD release
    of the SE in the '97 boxed set. The SE VHS released in '97 obviously had
    the Pro Logic soundtrack, so in my opinion, getting the Dolby Digital 5.1ES
    soundtrack is a prime motivating factor for purchasing the set tomorrow.
    I have never had a problem with Lucas updating the SFX on the series, but
    the addition of the Solo/Jabba scene does nothing to further the plot or
    explain anything that needs explaining, and I also have a problem with the
    Cantina scene in which Solo shoots first, but neither are enough to stop me
    from buying the new DVD set.

    Jim Burgan, Sep 20, 2004
  10. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Steven Wandy Guest

    >so in my opinion, getting the Dolby Digital 5.1ES
    > soundtrack is a prime motivating factor for purchasing the set tomorrow.

    What about all the time and effort that went into digitally cleaning up this
    copy by (I forget the name of the firm that was hired - you fill it in)?
    Supposedly the improvement in picture quality is very impressive from what I
    have read.

    Steven Wandy, Sep 20, 2004
  11. Adrian S. Kuiper

    Ronald Cole Guest

    NeoRenegade <> writes:
    > I'm not pissed, just deeply saddened. Back before Episode I
    > and II came out, when the "special edition" trilogy was
    > released, I didn't mind the changes that were made to the
    > movies. But now after having heard that Hayden Christenson
    > will be put into The Return Of The Jedi, I'm a little worried
    > to say the least. He has better look well-aged in the scene
    > because I could never bear seeing his ghost as he looked in
    > Episode II, in ROTJ. Episodes I and II were pretty loust
    > movies and you don't just bastardize masterpieces like the
    > Trilogy for continuity with such crap!

    Luca$ probably rotoscoped in his caricature from the Clone Wars cartoon.

    Ronald Cole <> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

    Ronald Cole, Sep 21, 2004
  12. Adrian S. Kuiper

    GMAN Guest

    In article <9nI2d.33964$>, "Adrian S. Kuiper" <> wrote:

    > Frankly, the fact that Lucas made changes to HIS movie doesn't
    >bother me at all. I can recall seeing it in the theaters about 6 or 7
    >times back in the late 70's. I was thrilled. "Star Wars" was the ONLY
    >movie I ever saw more than twice in the theater. Actually, even now,
    >it's STILL the only one.
    >
    > So....am I gonna bitch and moan about what Lucas has done? Nope!!
    >Am I gonna compare the DVD with the VHS tapes I have? Nope!! Am
    >I gonna be upset about the changes? Nope!! Am I gonna watch the
    >three movies and be thrilled once again? You bet your ass!!!!
    >I'm gonna get the set.....settle back on the couch with some popcorn and
    >a couple Pepsis and be thrilled once again. Fortunately, I have a 53"
    >TV (nope....not HD).
    >
    > My only decision is whether to watch them all in one day or make it
    >last for a few days.
    >
    > Together with getting my Medicare card and my AARP card, the release
    >of the DVD's kinda makes this year even more special.

    LMAO

    GMAN, Sep 21, 2004