    The Ep V artwork looks similar to that from the cheapo Taiwanese
    bootlegs to me, but as usual, YMMV.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Jun 18, 2004

  2. unclejr

    Mike Kohary Guest

    unclejr wrote:
    > We have all seen what the box for the original Star Wars Trilogy is
    > going to look like. Here is a pic of supposedly what Ep IV's artwork
    > (most of it, anyway) with partial artwork for V and VI:
    >
    > <http://www.starwars.se/nyheter2004/nyheter20040618_1_stor.html>
    >
    > The Ep V artwork looks similar to that from the cheapo Taiwanese
    > bootlegs to me, but as usual, YMMV.

    If that's a true picture, it's pretty sad IMO, seeing as how Luke doesn't
    even fight with a light saber in Star Wars.

    What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
    one-sheets?

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 18, 2004

  3. Mike Kohary wrote:
    > What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
    > one-sheets?

    That's like asking what was wrong with the films to begin with that
    Lucas had to screw around with them.

    Demolition Man

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Jun 18, 2004
  4. unclejr

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:
    > Mike Kohary wrote:
    >> What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
    >> one-sheets?

    > That's like asking what was wrong with the films to begin with that
    > Lucas had to screw around with them.

    An excellent point.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 18, 2004
  5. unclejr

    unclejr Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote...
    > If that's a true picture, it's pretty sad IMO, seeing as how Luke doesn't
    > even fight with a light saber in Star Wars.

    I agree that it looks sad, but Luke DID wield his father's light saber
    when Obi-wan trained him with the "floating thingy" that tried to
    periodically zap him when they were on the Millenium Falcon.

    > What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
    > one-sheets?
    >
    > Mike

    Nothing, other than they would look dated (by George Lucas'
    standards). <shrug> I guess that he wants the viewer to think that
    the original trilogy comes AFTER the prequels in time.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Jun 18, 2004
  6. unclejr

    Mike Kohary Guest

    unclejr wrote:
    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote...
    >> If that's a true picture, it's pretty sad IMO, seeing as how Luke
    >> doesn't even fight with a light saber in Star Wars.

    > I agree that it looks sad, but Luke DID wield his father's light saber
    > when Obi-wan trained him with the "floating thingy" that tried to
    > periodically zap him when they were on the Millenium Falcon.

    I know. It's just that the cover implies something that's completely
    misleading and smacks of hype. Of course, that's par for the course with
    Lucas these days.

    >> What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
    >> one-sheets?

    > Nothing, other than they would look dated (by George Lucas'
    > standards). <shrug> I guess that he wants the viewer to think that
    > the original trilogy comes AFTER the prequels in time.

    He has actually stated that before, that he thinks of the films as a
    straight 1-6 experience. That's retarded, of course, because both Star Wars
    and Empire (and to a lesser degree ROTJ) are structured in such a way as to
    withhold information that will serve as revelations later (namely, that
    Darth Vader is Luke's father). If you were to watch all 6 movies starting
    with Phantom Menace, this "revelation" doesn't exist and Empire's structure
    looks silly.

    No matter what Lucas says, Star Wars is always going to be the first movie,
    if not because it was the first released, then because the dramatic
    structure of the movies dictate it. Movies 1-3 are meant to be watched
    after the OT.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 18, 2004
  7. unclejr

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <caver9$enn$>, says...

    > No matter what Lucas says, Star Wars is always going to be the first movie,
    > if not because it was the first released, then because the dramatic
    > structure of the movies dictate it. Movies 1-3 are meant to be watched
    > after the OT.

    If then.

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

    Dale Hicks, Jun 18, 2004
  8. unclejr

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Dale Hicks wrote:
    > In article <caver9$enn$>, says...
    >>
    >> No matter what Lucas says, Star Wars is always going to be the first
    >> movie, if not because it was the first released, then because the
    >> dramatic structure of the movies dictate it. Movies 1-3 are meant
    >> to be watched after the OT.

    > If then.

    lol...

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 18, 2004
  9. Mike Kohary wrote:

    >>>What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
    >>>one-sheets?

    >>That's like asking what was wrong with the films to begin with that
    >>Lucas had to screw around with them.

    > An excellent point.

    ....What, that RotJ should have a big closeup of hands?

    Besides, either it's a mockup (it can't be real, it's a foreign site!),
    or they're just recycling the covers for the Fox export VCD trilogy
    releases from four years ago--
    (Just threw mine out, so can't remember: Did the Emperor really appear
    on the ESB cover, when we weren't supposed to know what he looked like yet?)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jun 18, 2004
  10. unclejr

    unclejr Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote...
    > Besides, either it's a mockup (it can't be real, it's a foreign site!),
    > or they're just recycling the covers for the Fox export VCD trilogy
    > releases from four years ago--
    > (Just threw mine out, so can't remember: Did the Emperor really appear
    > on the ESB cover, when we weren't supposed to know what he looked like yet?)

    Apparently, according to thedigitalbits, Ep IV's artwork IS authentic:

    <http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers/swepisode4coverdvd.jpg>

    However, there seems to be some subtle and some obvious differences in
    the artwork for Eps V and VI:

    <http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers/swepisode5coverdvd.jpg>
    <http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers/swepisode6coverdvd.jpg>
    <http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx2/starwarsopenbox.jpg>

    The subtle: look at the covers for Ep V -- Yoda and The Emporer have
    inexplicably exchanged positions.

    The obvious: the entire cover artwork for Ep VI.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Jun 19, 2004
  11. unclejr wrote:

    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote...
    >
    >>If that's a true picture, it's pretty sad IMO, seeing as how Luke doesn't
    >>even fight with a light saber in Star Wars.

    > I agree that it looks sad, but Luke DID wield his father's light saber
    > when Obi-wan trained him with the "floating thingy" that tried to
    > periodically zap him when they were on the Millenium Falcon.
    >
    >>What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
    >>one-sheets?
    >>

    > Nothing, other than they would look dated (by George Lucas'
    > standards). <shrug> I guess that he wants the viewer to think that
    > the original trilogy comes AFTER the prequels in time.

    And that he wants to suggest a unified storyline by making the "old"
    artwork thematically similar to the first two/three, assuming all six
    are going to be on the same shelf.

    Derek Janssen (yeah, I know, but George thinks it's "Episode IV"...)

    Derek Janssen, Jun 19, 2004
  12. unclejr wrote:

    >>or they're just recycling the covers for the Fox export VCD trilogy
    >>releases from four years ago--
    >>(Just threw mine out, so can't remember: Did the Emperor really appear
    >>on the ESB cover, when we weren't supposed to know what he looked like yet?)

    > Apparently, according to thedigitalbits, Ep IV's artwork IS authentic:
    >
    > <http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers/swepisode4coverdvd.jpg

    Uh, you might also have noticed the distinctly more legitimate:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/swtrilogymarketing01.html

    (And a cover for the Bonus disk, too!)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jun 19, 2004
  13. unclejr

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > However, there seems to be some subtle and some obvious differences in
    > the artwork for Eps V and VI:
    >
    > <http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers/swepisode5coverdvd.jpg>
    > <http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers/swepisode6coverdvd.jpg>
    > <http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx2/starwarsopenbox.jpg>
    >
    > The subtle: look at the covers for Ep V -- Yoda and The Emporer have
    > inexplicably exchanged positions.

    That is subtle -- I don't even see the Emperor on the cover of TESB.

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

    Dale Hicks, Jun 19, 2004
  14. unclejr

    unclejr Guest

    Dale Hicks <> wrote...
    > > The subtle: look at the covers for Ep V -- Yoda and The Emporer have
    > > inexplicably exchanged positions.

    > That is subtle -- I don't even see the Emperor on the cover of TESB.

    Carefully compare the TESB covers for:

    <http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers/swepisode5coverdvd.jpg>
    <http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx2/starwarsopenbox.jpg>

    Yoda is shown on the first link, whereas The Emporer is clearly shown
    in the second link in the same position on the cover.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Jun 19, 2004
  15. unclejr

    unclejr Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote...
    > Uh, you might also have noticed the distinctly more legitimate:
    > http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/swtrilogymarketing01.html
    >
    > (And a cover for the Bonus disk, too!)

    <sarcasm>Oh, yeah... That bonus disc cover artwork is clearly shown
    in the link that you provide!</sarcasm>

    Interestingly, this is a THIRD (albeit obscured) cover for Ep V!
    Lando's head is still there, but now BOTH Yoda and/or The Emporer is
    missing altogether!

    -Junior

    unclejr, Jun 19, 2004
  16. unclejr

    zoltan47 Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 05:32:12 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <>
    wrote:

    >unclejr wrote:
    >> We have all seen what the box for the original Star Wars Trilogy is
    >> going to look like. Here is a pic of supposedly what Ep IV's artwork
    >> (most of it, anyway) with partial artwork for V and VI:
    >>
    >> <http://www.starwars.se/nyheter2004/nyheter20040618_1_stor.html>
    >>
    >> The Ep V artwork looks similar to that from the cheapo Taiwanese
    >> bootlegs to me, but as usual, YMMV.

    >If that's a true picture, it's pretty sad IMO, seeing as how Luke doesn't
    >even fight with a light saber in Star Wars.
    >
    >What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
    >one-sheets?
    >
    >Mike

    But this is old news. I have a boxed set (VHS) of the trilogy in
    widescreen 1992. The cover art work of Ep IV has Luke w/light saber. I
    can't find my older copy of the movie so I can't recall what was the
    original art work for the initial home video release. (I had it in
    BETA, and though the player is kaput, I still have some of the tapes
    lying around in boxes.)

    zoltan47, Jun 19, 2004
  17. unclejr

    Eric R. Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message news:<cauncd$pe2$>...
    > unclejr wrote:

    > If that's a true picture, it's pretty sad IMO, seeing as how Luke doesn't
    > even fight with a light saber in Star Wars.

    Considering how much Lucas has screwed with them, that may no longer
    be true. ;-)

    > What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
    > one-sheets?

    The same thing that's wrong with using the quite fantastic original
    versions of the films, apparently.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Jun 21, 2004
  18. unclejr

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Eric R. wrote:
    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    >> unclejr wrote:

    >> If that's a true picture, it's pretty sad IMO, seeing as how Luke
    >> doesn't even fight with a light saber in Star Wars.

    > Considering how much Lucas has screwed with them, that may no longer
    > be true. ;-)

    Oh god, don't even suggest that! ;)

    >> What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
    >> one-sheets?

    > The same thing that's wrong with using the quite fantastic original
    > versions of the films, apparently.

    I guess so...

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 23, 2004